H.I.D. Install and Headlamp polishing combo how-to LOTS of Pics
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, H.I.D. Install and Headlamp polishing combo how-to LOTS of Pics in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Got the H.I.D. kit yesterday and installed them along with polishing the headlamps. My lights were all sunbaked and didn't ...
    Dan_W is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Manual Trans

H.I.D. Install and Headlamp polishing combo how-to LOTS of Pics

Got the H.I.D. kit yesterday and installed them along with polishing the headlamps. My lights were all sunbaked and didn't look very good. I purchased a "Headlight Restoration Kit" that we carry at my dealership from BG Products. Probably one of if not THE best results I have seen yet from such an item.

What I installed was an H.I.D. kit from VVE, 35w 9006 lamps in 6000Kv
    BG CA875 - Headlight Restoration Kit

Here's a couple of "before" shots of the headlamps.

Here goes, this is my first how-to write up, so hopefully it helps some of the members on the board.

First you have to remove the front bumper. I won't go into too much detail here, but here are a couple diagrams.

Lower Engine cover retainers

Fender liner retainers

...and finally the Bumper fasteners

Once you have the bumper cover off you can get to the 3 fasteners for the headlamps.

Once those 3 fasteners are off on each side you can remove the headlamp. It takes a LOT of effort to get the ball/socket separated, so pull HARD.

Once you have the headlamps out you can proceed to install the H.I.D. kit. Here's the way I chose to do it.

Drill a hole in the low beam access cover. I used a 7/8" Unibit and then my dremel to cut some reliefs for the plugs to pass through.

Use caution when installing the bulb into the headlamp housing as to not touch the glass, this can cause them to break once powered up. Since the wires inside my headlamp housing were not marked as to positive/neg and both were black, I used a test light to figure out which was which. I marked the connector accordingly.

My kit came with grommets on the wire harness that sealed up the hole in the access cover nicely.

Next I mounted the ballasts, they fit nicely under where the headlamp goes in, there's a pretty good flat area to bolt them down.

Continued ...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: H.I.D. and Headlamp polishing combo how-to LOTS of Pics

Once I had the H.I.D. stuff all situated I went on to polish the headlamps, here is the BG Kit I used.

Basically there are 3 chemicals and 3 different grades of sandpaper included. You start with 400 and work your way up to 2000. After the first step they looked like this...

After the 1000 grit and some cleaning

And finally you apply what I think is some type of varnish, then they are super glossy and nice.

They require a LOT of drying time even though the instructions say aprox 1 hour. I let them sit for about 4, then took the heat gun to them to make sure they were good and cured.

Here are the finished lights installed.

I wouldn't say they are perfect, but then again, they do have 100k on them, and they look a ton better. They look nearly new from just a few feet away.

Here are the H.I.D.s on

...and a lousy shot of the light on the wall at work.

Well, that's my novel, hope some of you find it useful!
    Rolex, Rolex, RCVW and 1 others like this.

Sammy Z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS 03

Re: H.I.D. Install and Headlamp polishing combo how-to LOTS of Pics

Good job, you'll enjoy the extra light, you could also install a white LED in the triange light. That can be done from the wheel well.

Bluehaze07 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS

Great write up. Thanks.

Cad4life is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): White '04 CTS 3.6L,Two JL 12w7 + Bose/ Boston Tweets

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy Z View Post
    Good job, you'll enjoy the extra light, you could also install a white LED in the triange light. That can be done from the wheel well.
    well, if ya have small enough hands and arms.....from the engine bay is another option

Nice job!!
    6k is the best IMO

afterdigital is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS 05

as mentioned earlier - install the led's in the triangle for an even look. I actually purchased the LED's (triangle) first and still have to wait to purchase the HID kit. so i did the reverse in your approach.

Looks really nice and thank you thank you thank you for the nice diagram in taking the front bumper off... really will come in handy for me.

josney is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

great write up. those are the same kits i have. you ought to think about putting the same kit in the fogs. i need to do the same to my housings, they look really good. you did a great job

Sammy Z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS 03

Does anyone know if the BG restoration kit is sold at retail stores, or can you get it on-line?

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy Z View Post
    Does anyone know if the BG restoration kit is sold at retail stores, or can you get it on-line?
    I looked quickly online, but didn't see it available. Just go to the BG website and find a local shop that carries BG products if you would like to purchase the kit. I'm not sure if it's something that would be sold over the counter or if they would want to provide the service to you. I'm sure if you ask around someone will sell the kit to you.

Quote Originally Posted by afterdigital View Post
    as mentioned earlier - install the led's in the triangle for an even look. I actually purchased the LED's (triangle) first and still have to wait to purchase the HID kit. so i did the reverse in your approach.

Looks really nice and thank you thank you thank you for the nice diagram in taking the front bumper off... really will come in handy for me.
    Do you have a reliable source for the LED 194s that might match better? Thanks for the compliments, and no problem on the diagram, glad to help out.

Coma is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS 2.8L

very nice writeup, with details. i am interested in the headlight polisher. i'll have to do that sometime soon!

also, you really don't have to drill reliefs on the side of the holes for the dust caps. i drilled a 1 inch hole on both and it's a perfect fit! i've tried it with three different brands of HIDs and each one fits perfectly with the supplied rubber grommets. they all seem to be a standard size. and at one inch, you need to remove a small piece of plastic on the wire attached to the light that plugs into the ballast. once removed, you can reverse feed it through the 1 inch hole, then replace the plastic clip. it quite literally is the perfect fit.

funny thing about that, my friend and i were thinking about drilling a hole there, and, without measuring anything, he just drills this 1 inch hole in the cap. i'm like, wtf dude! turns out it was THE perfect fit! lovely.

afterdigital is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS 05

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_W View Post
    Do you have a reliable source for the LED 194s that might match better? Thanks for the compliments, and no problem on the diagram, glad to help out.
    hope this helps:

http://autolumination.com/194.htm

i'll have to mention that i have not installed them yet but if you give me till this weekend - i'll do it and take pics....

meangreencadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I did this a couple years ago (restoring scuffed headlight) and they are starting to look bad again. I never put any varnish on them, I also heard you can spray them with clear coat. What should i use or are they the same thing.

Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

Wow, that's a huge difference after the polish. Nice thread OP!
    The above post is my 2 cents....nothing more.

lbeck is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Thanks for taking the time for the detail and pictures.
    I did this a couple years ago (restoring scuffed headlight) and they are starting to look bad again
    That's a lot of work for only 2 years service. Since this original thread was posted in 2009 I'm wondering if anyone else has done the job and how long it lasts. Also, answers to:
    • can an after-polish touch-up be done while the lens is installed
    • where can you purchase the polishing kit
    • any prices <$100 for new OEM or aftermarket lens
    • anyone tried using clearcoat after the polish
    Thanks

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.