How-To: DIY Debadging
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By erik soelseth
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, How-To: DIY Debadging in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Here is a simple DIY that a lot of people know how to do but I figured I would post ...
    makdaddy386 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Raven Black '05 CTS

How-To: DIY Debadging

Here is a simple DIY that a lot of people know how to do but I figured I would post it if it will help someone out and reduce reposts. The process pictured here is of me removing dealership badges but it is exactly the same for factory badges like the "CTS" logo on the trunk lid. Enjoy:

Tools needed:
    -Fishing Line
    -Eraser Disc
    -Drill (For The Eraser Disc)
    -Wax

Alright so here we start out with a dealership emblem which I wanted to remove.

Start off by taking your fishing line and wrapping each end around one hand like you would hold a piece of floss. Now take the line and run it between the badge and your car in a sawing motion. I used 20lb Monofilament but it doesn't really matter what test your line is.

Once you remove the badge you should be left with a bunch of ugly residue. This is normal and if you are removing the factory badges you will most likely have significantly more to remove.

This is where the Eraser Disc comes into play. I found this and the disc chuck at my local auto paint specialty store. It was made for quickly removing pin stripes and yes it is made for use on your car's paint. Don't forget to buy the chuck for the disc if you purchase this because the disc is threaded for use with the chuck. When using the disc hold at an angle to the surface as pictured and move back and forth like buffing a car. Do NOT sit in one spot because this will burn through your paint if you don't move.

The disc will leave behind eraser marks and dust just like the eraser on a pencil. Wipe the dust away and now you can remove the eraser marks with a compound or wax. I used Meguiar's brand only because I have had good results with them but you can use any brand of preference.

Buff away and admire your virgin paint!

Let me know what you guys think....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

makdaddy386 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Raven Black '05 CTS

Re: How-To: DIY Debadging

A quick google search for "Pinstripe Removal Eraser Disk" will turn up the tool I use above. I tried to link it just for reference but was denied the privilege through the forum. It's nothing fancy...should be under $10.

Sammy Z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS 03

I used a hor air gun(hair dryer) and it pulled right off. i used lighter fluid to remove the adhesive.

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

When I picked up my truck from the dealer they put the sticker on, I refused to take delivery till they took it off LOL.
    It was not on when I looked at the truck. They said it hasto leave with something so plate frames went on and back off as
    Soon as I got home.
    My other cars I used floss to get them off, lighter fluid, some times a glue remover (skin so soft...laugh all you want
    But AVON works hahah) or goo gone.

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy Z View Post
    I used a hor air gun(hair dryer) and it pulled right off. i used lighter fluid to remove the adhesive.
    Lighter fluid? All right!

That plus a cherry bomb or two (this is 4th of July) = tons of fun.

Bad news = scorched, damaged panels.

Good news = on the job training for paint and body work. LOL

erik soelseth is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS 2,8 l

Boy am I lucky. Her in Norway thy use tape decals. I just picket it off with my nails.
    On the frame for the license plate i bout a new chrome frame. That is 10 times more cool on the car.

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

Well I guess I was a very lucky one, or should I say my CTS was. I am the second owner of this 06 CTS. And her paint is still from the factory there. Neither the first dealership, for the first owner. Or the second dealership, for me. Put on a sticker.

However, my other car an 04 Grand Am has bunch of little stickers for the dealer's name. Each little letter is it's own sticker. I could either allow it to heat up in the sun, or use a hair drier and then use my finger nails. But I don't care about it. :-)

KOT

erik soelseth is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS 2,8 l

Most people don't care about driving around with free adverts on there car. I for one feel that it is vandalism of my property and disrespectful to put something om my car without my permission. Hens I always remove every sticker on all of my cars.
    Chris 78 likes this.

awarizona is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 SRX Sport V6 AWD

As someone who sells advertising for a living, they either have to pay for it, or it is gone!

raven33 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 3.6L CTS

I tried removing the CTS logo with no luck. Is that thing screwed on???

Red Dwarf is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS

Very nice job.

mmvvt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Had a Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by raven33 View Post
    I tried removing the CTS logo with no luck. Is that thing screwed on???
    No, it shouldn't be screwed on. Keep trying. The fishing line is a great idea, or you can use floss.

Wowow09 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 SRX

Looks like a better approach than my razor blade/ goo gone approach - I'll have to get one of those erasers...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.