Thread for DIY mods
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Thread for DIY mods in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Calling CTS enthusiasts, I would like to start a thread that posts particular diy's into one continuous post. I am ...
    Bluehaze07 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS

Lightbulb Thread for DIY mods

Calling CTS enthusiasts,

I would like to start a thread that posts particular diy's into one continuous post. I am pretty new to the forums and have a hard time a hard time finding the diy guides that I would like to perform. so I would like to make it easier for myself and others

If you have DIY guides w/pics or without, please post them here. I have attached a car seat touch up guide, a key program guide and a guide for OEM NAV install from base (which i found on this forum). hopefully this is successful and that this will help a lot of members.

FYI for the key guide: Most dealership parts dept will cut the key for free If you have a copy of your key and a blank key in hand. all I paid for is to program the remote.

**the car seat touch up guide is too big. I will split it in two and then re upload it later today. **
    Attached Files

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: DIY Section for mods (Key Program Guide)

IF NO OTHER WORKING KEY FOR THE CAR IS AVAILABLE:

1. Put the newly cut Master key into the ignition and turn it to the ON (RUN) position. A "Security" indicator light on the dashboard will stay on for 10 minutes.

2. Within 1 minute after the indicator light goes off, turn the ignition to "OFF" then return to the ON (RUN) position. The indicator light again will stay on for 10 minutes. (DO NOT REMOVE THE KEY)

3. Again, within 1 minute after the indicator light goes off, turn the ignition to "OFF", then return to the ON (RUN) position. The indicator light again will stay on for 10 minutes. (DO NOT REMOVE THE KEY)

4. When the light goes off for the third time, the new key is programmed into the computer and will start the car. Remove the key and then re-insert it into the ignition lock and start the car.

All previously stored codes will be erased. To stop the process at any time, simply remove the key and use an existing key to start the car.

:: HOW TO PROGRAM THIS KEY IF YOU HAVE ATLEAST ONE WORKING KEY ::

FOR CARS WHERE YOU WANT TO JUST CREATE A SPARE KEY:

1. Place an already programmed key in the ignition.

2. Cycle the ignition from OFF to ON (RUN) to OFF.

3. Within 15 seconds, insert the new, properly cut Transponder key in the ignition. Turn the key to ON (RUN) or START. The "Security" indicator light will go on and off. Turn the key "OFF".

The key will now start the car. Repeat the second step for each new key to be programmed.

txbest1980 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"

Re: Thread for DIY mods

That site does not have everything such as the clear fog light diy and the key diy. It does have the install portion though. Thanks for the link.

Talking Re: Thread for DIY mods (Clear Fog lights)

DIY – Clear FOG Lights
    Items needed:
    2 – 11x14 or 11x17 sheet of LEXAN (1/4" thickness) – use your judgment about the thickness and size.

2 - Silverstar 3157A/4157A ST Amber Park and Turn bulb

2 - Silverstar 9005 ST fog light bulb

4 packs per housing - Silicone Adhesive/ 2 Clear epoxy (Home Depot should have this item)

Sandpaper (usually comes in a pack or roll)

8 to 10 - 30 x 20 Centimeter clips (amount depends on how paranoid you are)

1 – Flat head Screw driver or paint can lid remover tool

1 – Dremel w/cutting tool or a plastic cutting tool or a circular/band saw (you decide the best tool)

OVEN and/or heat gun

Instructions:

1. Remove the FOG Light housing from Vehicle (http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/stsvfogs/index.html)

2. Preheat oven to 300 DEG for 10-15 min. TURN OFF YOUR OVEN.

3. Use a wet towel and place the housing in the oven on top of the towel, lens side down. Leave for at least 10 min.

4. Use the flat head (or similar tool) to pry the lens from the housing. (FYI: some ppl have used heat guns while prying the lens after heating)

5. If your lens is not damaged, use it as a template to trace onto the Lexan and make the cut with the cutting tools (you can measure and create a template of your lens before removing it if paranoid).

6. Clean off the old adhesive/plastic or other crap from the adhesion area using sand paper. Be careful not to damage the inner part of the housing (sanding that area down should roughen the adhesion area enough to create a good hold).

7. Use the silicone adhesive and place on ONE side of the housing at the adhesion point. Be Liberal. Use the clips to clamp that side down. Repeat this step for the other three sides and DO NOT REMOVE THE CLAMPS while doing the other sides.

8. Wait for 2-4 Hours (depends on your paranoia and type of adhesive/epoxy you use).

9. Sand down any rough edges around the completed housing and place some more silicone adhesive around those edges to make sure you have a water tight seal (use the quick set epoxy for this).

10. Repeat steps 1 – 9 for other housing.

11. Install bulbs and housing. Then go check your work out!!!

**Optional Steps**
    **See step 6 and step 9. Step 6 is strongly suggested.
    **You may place the cut lexan in some boiling water for 2 – 3 min (or use a heat gun) and then place on top of the old lens. Clip the lexan to the old lens to curve/shape it.

**Use plastic polish to shine the lens.

FINALLY you are at the end. Hopefully I have not forgotten anything.

Talking Re: Thread for DIY mods (Car seat touchup)

From user Luxurylife33

Link: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...eats-20-a.html

this is a great diy that is inexpensive.

txbest1980 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehaze07 View Post
    That site does not have everything such as the clear fog light diy and the key diy. It does have the install portion though. Thanks for the link.
    i was only offering help to your pointless thread with that website...i like you and everybody else know how to use the "SEARCH" function on this website to find the DIY projects that i choose to concern myself with

and if you want this thread to stay, then ask the moderators to post it as a sticky

Smile Re: Thread for DIY mods

Woah woah woah guy. I thanked you for the link. You're feelings are hurt for no reason. That last part was very helpful though. thanks again. (the problem with posting comments on the internet is that there is no context in what is written..it is solely on the writer's ability to express themselves in a way that everyone can read plainly)

To keep this post focused on the topic. Please only post DIY's and improvements/results on posted DIYs. If there are questions or issues please PM me or the DIY poster. Thanks everyone.

Re: Thread for DIY mods (IPOD/MP3 player install)

Thumbs up Re: Thread for DIY mods (Bumper Removal)

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

I don't understand the point of this thread. Any DIY is covered in the faq, and if its not, then send in the writeup so Reed can post it! Every writeup in the Faq was done by a forum member.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Take it easy guys. I was considering starting a thread like this myself. I have seen it on other forums and it works.

1) cadillacfaq.com; yes it is a tremendous site; yes it contains valuable information; yes Reed is a demi-God for making it; NO every DIY is NOT in his site; and Reed has already stated he does not have the time or will to update it anymore; and noobs have no idea that it even exists.

2)"everybody else know how to use the "SEARCH" function on this website" -- you are kidding right? that's a joke right?

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

If anyone else has a valuable addition to this thread, please post it. If enough are added, I will clean up the thread and make an index in the first post.

If you don't have anything valuable to add, please post elsewhere, or it will get deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    Take it easy guys. I was considering starting a thread like this myself. I have seen it on other forums and it works.

1) cadillacfaq.com; yes it is a tremendous site; yes it contains valuable information; yes Reed is a demi-God for making it; NO every DIY is NOT in his site; and Reed has already stated he does not have the time or will to update it anymore; and noobs have no idea that it even exists.

2)"everybody else know how to use the "SEARCH" function on this website" -- you are kidding right? that's a joke right?
    I didn't realize i was being harsh??
    Anyhow, Reed isnt updating that site anymore? That site is the perfect version of what all these types of threads are trying to accomplish. Its too bad there isnt someone who can take over for him.

This forum has needed stickies for along time! Theres a reason why threads are so hard to find. ITs because every 2nd thread is about hids, and every 3rd thread is about wheels. There should be a sticky for those at least! Id rather have multiple DIY threads then multiple HID threads.

The CTS forum is the 2nd busiest forum on this board (not including the lounge) and it doesnt have any stickies. The Escalade forum has 4 stickies, with about 1/10th the posts!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.