777 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  BadAV 
#1 ·
What is the proper way to reload the pistons in the breaks
For the cts (03 lux sport)?
Can I just use channel locks and press them back in
Just like other gm's? Do they have to be compressed at equal
Incriments with a brake spreading tool?
I also saw a gm pistin reloading tool that was a cube
You attach and use a ratchet to reload them.
Which one works best? I was just going to use channel locks
And press against a old brake pad to not damage any
Components but then I saw this cube tool....
Thanks for any info.

#3 ·
Did you drain any fluid from the caliper?
I've heard people on here say they did it but
How required is that?
Thanks for the tip on the cap, I wouldn't have
Thought about that.

My rotors should b in this week and pads next week,
No more rusty rotors!!!....for this summer lol

#5 ·
No more rusty rotors!!!....for this summer lol[/QUOTE]

When I did my brakes and got new rotors, I painted the non-contact areas with high-heat rustolem paint so they don't show rust. It sucks when you have nice wheels and your brakes are rusting. It's a little work but it looks nicer in the end.

#6 ·
I just did all the breaks on my car. Some say that it is good to open the line on the caliper and then press the pistons back in. Don't really know why. If it is a sealed system then there shouldn't be any contaminate in there. I just use the old break pad and a large C clap to get them back in.

#8 ·
did you guys use any sort of pad glue or anti-seize?
i got to do the brakes on another car...i had mine done by a mechanic for the cadi, i did mine on my truck but they arent releasing properly...they are dragging.

#9 ·
Brake fluid is hygroscopic - it absorbs moisture with time. The steel and rubber lines also deteriorate so you get contamination from them. Your braking performance goes down as the fluid gets more contaminated.

I haven't read that part of the owner's manual yet but most GM vehicles recommend a brake fluid flush every 5 years. I try to do mine on schedule at a minimum. It's amazing how filthy the brake fluid gets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.