DIY Replace Cabin Air Filter - Pictures - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, DIY Replace Cabin Air Filter - Pictures in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; So, anybody know a dealership in the GTA that isn't gonna **** me in the ass to get the cabin ...
    454Casull is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 2.8L 6MT

Re: DIY Replace Cabin Air Filter - Pictures

So, anybody know a dealership in the GTA that isn't gonna **** me in the ass to get the cabin air filter housing remounted?

ziggie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

Yep, i got into a much more involved bunch of S*** including removing the battery also.

But after a cut or 2 ...... it's done.

Quote Originally Posted by 454Casull View Post
    I'm really ****ing pissed off right now. I tried doing this just now and I royally ****ed it up... let me explain:

The cabin air filter housing is a plastic piece which, besides holding the air filter, is what holds the plastic cover that you remove when changing the filter. This housing is clipped into the firewall (going off of memory) with two clips on top and perhaps a third clip, or third and fourth clip, on the bottom. These clips go into rectangular holes in the firewall through INTERMEDIARY metal clips, which first snap into place in the rectangular holes in the firewall, into which you then snap the cabin air filter housing such that the foam gasket seals against the firewall properly.

Guess what? One of the metal clips fell into the little space behind the firewall, and the other clip fell OUT. **** ME. The one that fell into the space behind the firewall is almost impossible to get out because it has to come out in a certain orientation, and there really isn't much space to put your hand there to try to fish it out. I'm not even going to bother looking for the clip that fell out because I'm going to have to pull the battery and God knows what else. Guess I'll just drive around for a while with unfiltered air. Well, maybe it's on my driveway... I think I ****ed one of the clips on the bottom, too, because the housing seemed to be pivoting around one of the clips at the bottom when the top two clips were out.

ewill, any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

AcuraTL is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

This write up rocks!! Thanks so much for doing this, as it saved me a huge amount of time and trouble.

The only feedback I have from my cabin filter replacement experience is that I found that my filter did fit under the plastic tabs that you mention. I found that there is a little plastic guide on the drivers side of the filter housing that looks like it is designed to guide and hold the filter towards the cabin/rear of the car. After about 6 attempts of jamming the new filter in there, I successfully got it to follow that guide, slide in, and underneath those tabs. At this point, the filter seemed to fit like a glove where it was supposed to go.

If the filter went on the outside of that guide and the tabs, it just kind of fell down cock-eyed, and didn't really seem to sit properly. I have a 2003 CTS, so maybe your model is different. (???)

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

454, is this a CTS I guess?

It sounds like you were taking way too much stuff off to get to the filter.
    You only need release the two tabs on top of the top portion of the cover to access the filter. Refer to step 4 of the picture procedure in the original post.

If you removed the fasteners to the bulkhead and lost clips, you should be able to replace them, you'd just have to find the right part number.
    For that you can call Luke and try to explain the location of the clips and he can look them up.
    If the case is secure with the other fasteners you might be okay to leave it, but it would probably be good to replace them if possible.

Not sure if that helps, let me know if you have more questions.

jeyaar789 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS 3.6

Pity, I did this task without knowing about this excellent write up.

I think it went allright, I didn't push the new filter under those clips, and the trim was
    fiddly to re-fit under the windscreen. Good quality GM plastic trim though, if that was from a Frod
    car the thin brittle plastic would've splintered like a taco.

Although I'm now worried that there is a flow arrow on the new filter that I paid no heed to.
    Does it matter I wonder ?

bigdawgfoxx is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS Every Option

I need to do this, aslong as I don't have to break clips and do weird things to my hood? I figure I can just pull those 2 tabs and be fine.

Also, if the purchased filter doesn't fit under the tabs, I would imagine trimming it down would be the best thing so it fits all the way in? Having it really open like that doesn't seem all that great.

Any thoughts technicians?

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

Quote Originally Posted by bigdawgfoxx View Post
    I need to do this, aslong as I don't have to break clips and do weird things to my hood? I figure I can just pull those 2 tabs and be fine.

Also, if the purchased filter doesn't fit under the tabs, I would imagine trimming it down would be the best thing so it fits all the way in? Having it really open like that doesn't seem all that great.

Any thoughts technicians?
    Do not trim the filter, that is if you got the proper one. The filter is not supposed to fit under the "tabs" because the cover that you remove earlier fits over the filter. So just gentle place the filter in and recap it. That's it.

KOT

Quote Originally Posted by ewill3rd View Post
    454, is this a CTS I guess?

It sounds like you were taking way too much stuff off to get to the filter.
    You only need release the two tabs on top of the top portion of the cover to access the filter. Refer to step 4 of the picture procedure in the original post.

If you removed the fasteners to the bulkhead and lost clips, you should be able to replace them, you'd just have to find the right part number.
    For that you can call Luke and try to explain the location of the clips and he can look them up.
    If the case is secure with the other fasteners you might be okay to leave it, but it would probably be good to replace them if possible.

Not sure if that helps, let me know if you have more questions.
    Yeah, a CTS.

I know now exactly how to do it, but at the time I couldn't quite figure out what the two tabs were. You have to admit that it's sort of difficult to tell what the "tab" part is by eye if you have no idea what to look for. Anyway, I did pull out the filter housing and it's still hanging loose. I think it's loose at the bottom too, so I'll probably have to remove the battery to reinstall it once I get the clips (if I ever get around to it).

What's Luke's number?

07CTSNICK is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS

Awesome right up... Keep them comming!!!

chahockey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

very nice write up

miamictsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Smile Re: DIY Replace Cabin Air Filter - Pictures

It took me 15 minutes on my 09CTSV. I just removed the weather guard by removing the 3 screws, and squeezed the filter gently so it can clear one of the plastic tabs and pulled it out. Then gently put the new one in sliding it behind one of the plastic tabs and gently squeezing it again to go behind the second plastic tab. I did not have to remove anything else. I am trying the BOSCH Charcoal filter now. If anyone need the Part # it is C3859 and you can get it from auto zone or online . Excellent write up.

davebuch is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Gattace - You are the MAN !!! Perfect replace for me. Bought car certifed and dealer did great job hiding what I think was smoke smell so I figured I would try this filter. Took old one out and my wife said - "That's IT" - so we'll see. Thanks AGAIN for the simple and perfect pics !!

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician

The newer ones have a re-shaped cowl and are much easier to do.
    You can actually get in there to do it.

ogamiitto is offline Cadillac Owners Member

[QUOTE=454Casull;2247322]ewill, any advice would be appreciated

[qUOTE]

Did you ever get this resolved? I would suspect that you could just get new clips to replace the ones that are "MIA"?

Michael

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.