03 cts thermostat replacement
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 03 cts thermostat replacement in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; My Engine light came on and the code is po128, so I was wondering what is involved in replacing the ...
    pooch is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts

Question 03 cts thermostat replacement

My Engine light came on and the code is po128, so I was wondering what is involved in replacing the thermostat myself, how long should it take, how many parts to dis-assemble or should I take it to a dealer. I have replaced many before but none that look so involved here. I would also like to replace the coolant temp switch, but have no idea where it is located. Any help would be great!.Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Sammy Z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS 03

Re: 03 cts thermostat replacement

I'm a DIY guy and it took me 8 hours, I think the dealer bills it for 4 - 5 hours. It's not difficult, but it's a lot of work. You have to remove the intake manifold. The temp sensor is also easily changed once you have the intake off ( it's on the top of the engine at the rear, under the intake). be sure to get some replacement antifreeze I think it's called Dextron. I lost most of my time looking for dropped screws so have a good magnet ready. You might as well buy the T-stat w housing and get 2 new O rings ( about $45). I didn't replace the sensor and once I replace the T-stat the code never came back.

pooch is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts

Thanks for the reply, I was hoping someone had replaced it and did not run into any major issues that would require special tools . I will go ahead and replace it myself, and plan on a long day in the garage!!!

I did the removal one day and finished the installation the next day. That's a long time to be bent over the engine so I split it up into two days. BTW, you'll drop a lot of antifreeze so have buckets and towels ready under the car.

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

why would the housing need to be replaced?(and does anyone know the part number??) im getting mine done soon i just bought the thermostat, and apparently there are 2 different size gaskets and i only need one of them, so ordered both and will be returning the other one.
    i dont know why they made this such a big job for such a simple part, my 02 jimmy took me 20-30 min to get it done...5-8hrs is insane!!!

the thermostat part number that i bought for my 03 3.2l is : 24420653
    is this the right one? thats what the dealer gave me

When I went to purchase the T-Stat the parts guy said that some of the housings were cracking so he said to avoid going in there again, repalce the housing as well. He said to avoid a leak from the feed pipe, he recomended replaceing the O rings as well.

Smileydawg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Cts

A question I live in the Bahamas where it is always warm can I just take out the t-stat or is it really needed or would it leak from the housing with it gone.
    Bc most mechanics take out the t-stat in cars an leave them bc they said its better for my climate. But when I took it out in my explorer it leaked from the housing bc the t-stat was a part of the seal of the housing also but I want to know if it would do the same with the cadi. An would the sensor pick up if it is out also?

I think if you removed the t-stat the engine will run cooler but you will get the P0128 code because the engine burns more gas when it;'s not up to temperature.

Mat03 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

Just replaced the CPS...drove 70 km's and threw the P0128 code...worst fears confirmed...another 2 days in the garage. Knock on wood that the only code thrown this time was this one. last time it was 7 codes, but hopefully the CPS fixed that.

Pooch, if you have done yours at this point, please direct any words of wisdom my way...much appreciated.

I gather while I am there I should replace the whole housing...anything else? I did notice while doing the CPS I am leaking oil (I assume from the valve cover on the driver side)...is this more accessible while doing the Tstat?

Thanks,
    Mat

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

Quote Originally Posted by Mat03 View Post
    Just replaced the CPS...drove 70 km's and threw the P0128 code...worst fears confirmed...another 2 days in the garage. Knock on wood that the only code thrown this time was this one. last time it was 7 codes, but hopefully the CPS fixed that.

Pooch, if you have done yours at this point, please direct any words of wisdom my way...much appreciated.

I gather while I am there I should replace the whole housing...anything else? I did notice while doing the CPS I am leaking oil (I assume from the valve cover on the driver side)...is this more accessible while doing the Tstat?

Thanks,
    Mat

the oil leaking from the valve covers is really common, you need to change the gaskets and i have been told that the torques bolts holding it on are very easy to snap so be carefull.
    i have replaced my CPS, and valve cover gaskets as well.
    you may want to check you dif output shaft seals...mine were leaking a little as well...heard this is common.

yankeefan15 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 cts

is there any how to do info listed on this site anywhere changing thermostat 03 cts 3.2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.