Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cadillac Tech question: Diff output seal

Question Cadillac Tech question: Diff output seal

I posted earlier about my 04 3.6 L that sprung a small leak on the driver's side output shaft seal. Dealer I trust quoted $355 for labor/parts to replace the one side.

My question: I read that if the leak is small that you can add about 1/3 bottle of engine stop leak to the diff and that might swell the seal enough to stop the leak in about 500 - 1,000 mi. Is this a good option to try first? Is it a good fix, or simply a temporary half ass fix? If replacement is the best option, can I go with just the one side that is leaking, or should I go both output shaft seals at the same time? (dealer said cost would double to do both). Just looking for a good alternative to the replacement route.

2. Remove Advertisements

Spyke is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6L VVT
    Montreal, QC

Re: Cadillac Tech question: Diff output seal

I did mine a month ago but not at the dealer. 155$ CAN labor + part + tax included. took an hour to fix. Since then, 3k miles done and no leak anymore.

The stop leak is just a temp. fix and your differential is something very important for your safety so fix it for good, not temporary.

Go in a differential expert shop and ask him how much for the job and I'm sure it will be half of the dealer

+ Reply to Thread

Cadillac Posting Rules