Pioneer AVIC-F700BT Nav - 2006 CTS - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Pioneer AVIC-F700BT Nav - 2006 CTS in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Installing your own aftermarket head unit is VERY easy and it’s not worth paying anyone else more than $100 to ...
    mjs0202 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS

Re: Pioneer AVIC-F700BT Nav - 2006 CTS

Installing your own aftermarket head unit is VERY easy and it’s not worth paying anyone else more than $100 to do the wiring IMO. If anyone is interested here is how you install and wire a Pioneer F-Series:

1 – Splice the new head to the factory live or wire a new live if you prefer.

2 – Ground the New head.

3 – AAC (ignition) wire on the new head to brown(on mine) wire on the air-con controls.

4 – Audio – Strip the factory audio harness back a little. Cut the factory audio wires about 3 inches from the plug, this leaves plenty of wire to rewire the factory head later if required. Take a good quality shielded RCA cable (monster or equivalent) cut about 18” off each end and strip back the wire until you have +/- wires. Take the RCA wires and carefully splice them to the harness end of the factory audio wire ( green, green, dark green and tan). It is important to get a really clean and shielded join because the RCA/audio cables pick up the old factory radio if the connections aren’t really good. Now plug the RCA cable to your new head.

Now re-install everything but don’t plug the old audio plug into the factory head. Your audio now has two gains, the factory controls and the new heads volume control. I leave my Pioneer on maximum and control the volume with the steering wheel dial.

Still works:
    DIC
    OnStar (all controls)
    Chimes
    Both factory volume controls (dash and steering wheel)
    Steering wheel buttons.
    Factory AMP, speakers and SUB.

You Lose:
    XM (an aftermarket add-on is only $75)
    New head goes off with ignition NOT by opening the door. Not a problem for me because we rarely sit in a car without the engine on in Florida. You can probably get the RAP working but it is not an issue for me so I am not going to try.

Fabricate the dash: http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answe...dic/index.html

Study the Wiring Diagram before hand: http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/index.html

5abi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

did exactly what mjs did with the same deck within hours of mjs doing it!

trust me, its not as bad as it sounds.

if any one wants to buy a pre-modded DIC unit...send me a pm with an offer.

I have had chance to play with the voice commands now. All in all they work a lot better than expected. I spent 30 minutes on the drive home trying various commands and it didn't have much trouble with many of them.

The iPod only takes a longtime to load when you have VR catalog enabled, which creates a list of your iPod tracks for the voice commands. For my iPod (2300 tracks) that process takes about 60 seconds but you only need to do it when you have changed the contents of your iPod.

I have absolutely no regrets purchasing this unit. If you are an iPod user that uses bluetooth it is a great unit, and an unbelievable steal at $400.

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacSTS2003 View Post
    it did NOTHING for the buggy navigation and 2-3 minute boot times for the radio and 4-5 mins it takes everytime you connect your ipod for it to sync for the voice command
    BTW - got to call BS on that post.

IF you leave the unit on FM/AM it re-boots to the point of restoring audio in about 8-10 seconds. By the time I have put my seat belt on and the garage door is open I have music through the speakers.

The Ipod does take a while to sync for voice commands because it makes a FULL list of your tracks on the head unit. Mine does a full VR sync in about 60-70 seconds, and that is for 2300 tracks. That process is only needed when the contents of your iPod change. If you switch the VR off the unit is playing the Ipod in about 15 seconds and you have full control of the iPod in 30 seconds.

What other unit has an iPod interface like the F-series, full blue tooth built in with all your hone info, voice commands and a NAV? Let alone a unit costing under $400.

Jdsu82703 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6L

MJS I must say good stuff on this thread... I plan on getting this unit within the next few weeks... I was going to pay a shop 150 to install and 150 for the harness... But after reading all of this it sounds like I could do it myself... In the one post you said to study the wiring diagram... but the link didn't work can you please repost that link...

Quote Originally Posted by Jdsu82703 View Post
    MJS I must say good stuff on this thread... I plan on getting this unit within the next few weeks... I was going to pay a shop 150 to install and 150 for the harness... But after reading all of this it sounds like I could do it myself... In the one post you said to study the wiring diagram... but the link didn't work can you please repost that link...
    Its on the Cadillac FAQ:

Radio Schematic (Bose and non-Bose) -> connectors PDF

Mine was the second set of three connectors.

ProudCaddyDaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS 3.6L "The Gray Ghost"(R.I.P), 05 CTS 3.6L "Fin"

Hey MJS0202,
    Where did you mount the GPS antenna. I am thinking about getting and installing the same pioneer and in researching, I read that the antenna should be placed outside for best performance.

Quote Originally Posted by ProudCaddyDaddy View Post
    Hey MJS0202,
    Where did you mount the GPS antenna. I am thinking about getting and installing the same pioneer and in researching, I read that the antenna should be placed outside for best performance.
    The antenna, mic, and iPod cables were very easy to install.

Antenna - middle of the front dash/shelve next to the windscreen. There is a stick on metal plate with the unit which I placed just in front of the little factory sensor. Then you just push the antenna wire down behind the dash, run it along to the drivers side, and along the side until you get to the rubber around the front door. Feed it behind the rubber until you get low enough to take it under the dash.

Mic - run the wire inside the rubber door seal down to where the antenna wire routes under the dash.

iPod - drill a hole through the side of the glove box, and the wire feeds straight to the back on the head.

Routing those three wires shouldn't take you more than 20-30 minutes. Now I have done it once I could do it in five minutes.

BTW - I am getting an EXCELLENT signal with the GPS antenna located inside at the front.

txbest1980 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"

has anybody ever looked at or even considered one of these 2 DIN models from this company that advertises on this forum?

http://www.autogpsdvds.com/

Quote Originally Posted by txbest1980 View Post
    has anybody ever looked at or even considered one of these 2 DIN models from this company that advertises on this forum?

http://www.autogpsdvds.com/
    That looks pretty nice. Don't like the look of the iPod interface or having to use a USB on the front of the unit though.

they want $350US shipped to your door for it...thats with US and Canada maps loaded

they want $350US shipped to your door for it...thats with US and Canada maps loaded
    Not bad. The thing that would worry me about that unit is what sort of support they give? It says 329 euors on the drop down, so that would be $420+ US. Then you would have tax and shipping.

I paid $370 for the Pioneer.

what got me is, i asked what was the brand name...the guy told me there is no name...lmao...he just said its made in china...LMAO

yomommas is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS, '79 Coupe DeVille, '78 Sedan De Ville, '77 Firebird

lmao...he just said its made in china...LMAO
    what isn't?

Finally got rid of all the ground loop noise from the old radio interfering. Simply added a $10 noise filter (PAC SNI1) to the audio lines, and bingo, perfect sound. I can turn the new head off and put the factory AMP on 100% and there is no noise. Another pleasant surprise with the PAC SNI1 is my audio levels went up slightly and now the system is louder than pre-install.

So adding the noise filter doubled my installation costs to $20, which is a few hundred less than a so called professional install.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.