Wagoner Brags About Raising CTS Prices - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Wagoner Brags About Raising CTS Prices in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; That is a very good point...... Car companies are really starting to build better cars across the board...... I think ...
    elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Re: Wagoner Brags About Raising CTS Prices

That is a very good point...... Car companies are really starting to build better cars across the board......

I think we can expect this generation of cars to last 200-250k rather than 150-200k!

scourge Guest

I know Lutz has been turning GM around, but perception is still king. That, and thousands of people have seen their $30,000 Cadillac Catera in 1998 drop to under $8000 in just 4 years. Thats a damn big depreciation. People might be a little hesitent to drop a lot of money again on an "entry level" Caddy. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me........

I think the CTS will have a much better resale than did the catera..... It was a good car (I liked them, my grandparents had one a few years back)... I really liked the styling..... But they really never caught on......

The depreciation is good for the used car consumer..... Lots of car for the dollar!

scourge Guest

I think it will too. But, will burned Catera buyers be willing to pony up the same amount of money again? Its risky. Also, people have seen the Catera drop like a rock and would naturally be gun-shy about buying a new Caddie that hasn't proven itself yet. But for me, yeah, finding a Catera on Ebay for less than $7000 is cool as hell. I wanted my parents to buy one but my dad settled on a Buick LaSabre.

About 2 more years and you might find a Catera under $5000. I say the Catera would be a great car for the Northstar swap. A shop near San Diego makes sand rails and hot rod RWD conversions for the Northstar, so it is doable. Hey, the Holden Commodore has the LS1 V8 in it so the Northstar would definately fit. Imagine a V8 in a Catera......

It would be golden!

scourge Guest

Went to AutoTrader to look up some Cateras and lookie what I found!

1997 Catera at $3900! Thats what, an 80% depreciation in 6 years!

1997 Cadillac Catera black with black leather interior

1998 for $4100! Doesn't look bad and if you were going to swap in an LS1 or Northstar, it makes a cheap donor and you can make some money back by parting out what you don't need.

1998 Catera

The list goes on. I searched nationwide for Cateras under $7000 and got four pages...FOUR PAGES of Cateras. Its the Cadillac I would most want right now (because the family in Tullahoma would rather their '55 Caddy rot than sell it! )

If you buy one... You have to drive it till it dies in order to get anywhere near your moneys worth out of it..... Thats why I am going to keep my Q till it dies... I put maybe 20k in the couple years, and sell it for much less than I paid for it...... Beside the fact that it may last another 100k (there will be some major repairs in there too, like a tranny).... But it is paid off, and spending 3000 on a new tranny is definitely cheaper than spending 6000 on another used car........

The best thing (IMO) for a used car owner to do is fix it up mechanically so that it will last for a long time, and then DRIVE!! Everything else (like exterior things) is irrelevant....... Granted, it is nicer to drive a nice looking car (and I am a believer in that), but when it all boils down, it is just transportation, and if it gets the job done, its doing perfectly, regardless of how it LOOKS.... Dont get me wrong, I will only drive a car that looks nice..... And I will drop cash to make it look good!!

The way I see it, you are stupid to even think about resale on any car that has more than 100k.... You might as well drive it till it cant be driven anymore!

scourge Guest

Quote Originally Posted by elwesso
    If you buy one... You have to drive it till it dies in order to get anywhere near your moneys worth out of it.....
    Thats my philosophy. I get my Mazda and Suzuki till they died. I sold my Olds beause it was a POS that was nickel-and-diming me to death. I'm selling my Skyline because I want to move soon and I don't want to pay the $1200 just to ship it up to Osaka. Thats almost HALF what I paid for the car. I don't want to sell it but I have too.

I won't buy the Catera anytime soon, but if I were to buy it, I would do the Catera swap and 5-speed mission. The Northstar heads could be port and polished and get a new set of cams. Open up the inlet and exhaust to get the car to breathe and you should be over 300hp. That would make one hell of a sleeper! Not as fast as the CTS-v or the GN turbochared CTS, but FAF nonetheless.

JEM
    JEM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by scourge
    Thats my philosophy. I get my Mazda and Suzuki till they died. I sold my Olds beause it was a POS that was nickel-and-diming me to death. I'm selling my Skyline because I want to move soon and I don't want to pay the $1200 just to ship it up to Osaka. Thats almost HALF what I paid for the car. I don't want to sell it but I have too.

I won't buy the Catera anytime soon, but if I were to buy it, I would do the Catera swap and 5-speed mission. The Northstar heads could be port and polished and get a new set of cams. Open up the inlet and exhaust to get the car to breathe and you should be over 300hp. That would make one hell of a sleeper! Not as fast as the CTS-v or the GN turbochared CTS, but FAF nonetheless.
    Northstars are not particularly easy to swap into a RWD application. The LS1/LS6 would be much easier. Of course, any time you go adding 150-200 ft/lb of torque to a car, you've got to figure on what else you'll be breaking - axle shafts, subframe mounts, etc.

The Catera is a nice car. Good structure, great seats, not the quickest thing on the road but a really, really good chassis, and about the only car in its class that got a limited-slip diff as standard equipment. By this point in time, they've depreciated enough that there's not much more to worry about.

The old Q45s were the best of cars and the worst of cars. There's virtually nothing that could match them for material quality, but I hope you've added a transmission cooler.

The thing about the older Qs, they last a long time with minimal maintenance, and last a REALLY long time with good maintenance..... Although, the 94-96 models require even less, and last longer than the 90-93 models.....

I would also hope you have had the chain guides done too!

scourge Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JEM
    Northstars are not particularly easy to swap into a RWD application. The LS1/LS6 would be much easier. Of course, any time you go adding 150-200 ft/lb of torque to a car, you've got to figure on what else you'll be breaking - axle shafts, subframe mounts, etc.
    True, it is difficult but its not impossible. I talked to the Caddy customizers and they told me that it was possible and they could furnish all the modded parts, but they just lacked the facilities to do the swap themselves. They did say that I might have to get a custom driveshaft if I could not find one that would simply swap. I'll have to get more info about that.

So, it is doable and you are right about Cateras being so cheap as to not have to worry about warranties or anything like that. I know an LS1 would make an easier swap (making a Holden Commodore clone from Australia) but I was just thinking of keepng the Caddy theme going.

And, even if someone saw the engine, they might/might not notice it was set up as RWD. But, they still wouldn't know about the head work and 300 ponies (or more) on tap! Its just an idea that I have had for some time. Don't know when/if I will ever do it. I wouldn't mind seeing someone else do if before me, just as long as I got to see it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.