3rd Brake light fix with pix(redeux) - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 3rd Brake light fix with pix(redeux) in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Those LEDs look good too, I dont think putting in the transformer is any harder. the hard part is getting ...
    Randle Todd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

Re: 3rd Brake light fix with pix(redeux)

Those LEDs look good too, I dont think putting in the transformer is any harder. the hard part is getting the housing apart. What was your secret?

drknt03 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS,3.2L

I would like to thank you on your write up. My third brake light went out also done the reasearch and found your write up. This hellped me alot. Thank you again.

rkspaint is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Hi Tommy, Great fix, and I am trying to do the same. I am having trouble removing the lens from the back cover. What is holding the top of the back to the lens? I have removed all of the glue around the bottom but the lens is still held firm.
    Thanks,
    rkspaint

rkspaint is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hi Tommy, Great fix, and I am trying to do the same. I am having trouble removing the lens from the back cover. What is holding the top of the back to the lens? I have removed all of the glue around the bottom but the lens is still held firm.
    Thanks,
    rkspaint

Shadowf is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thank you guys, it was a breeze, $13 Heat gun, $35 HighQuality Waterproof LED strip, 1 hour total task ...

rcalderman is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Tommy,
    what was the P/N for the transformers from the above link that you used i'm in need of this repair now. i have the light apart and will order the transformers on Monday. also did you place the other transformer on the opposite side?
    Thanks,
    Bob

tommy compton is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V

Neonxa is the ones I used. I just stuck them side by side if I remember correctly.

cmjohnson is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS luxury package

So, is the third brake light always neon (as original equipment) on a first gen CTS? Mine is out (both sides) on my 2004. There is some visible moisture in it.

Well...as it turns out, more than just a little. How nice of Cadillac to carefully design the brake light housing in such a way as to ensure that the neon transformer will be cooled in a water bath
    that completely immerses it!

The neon tubes are intact so I guess it's worth trying to fix it. Transformer should be here any day now.

There's so much damage to the transformer receptacle in the plastic frame, including big cracks in it caused by rusting screws
    expanding in the plastic, that this might not actually be repairable. I'm debating whether to buy a working unit off of ebay and just call it a day.

I decided to go with LED strips due to the fact that the housing is so damaged that there's no way to guarantee I could fully seal it against moisture The LEDs look fine, anyway.

My 3rd brake light housing cracked along the edge of the "window" in the display surface. That's where moisture got in. I'll have to (eventually) get a replacement. But odds are
    that this is a design flaw (stress risers in the plastic due to the sharp internal corners) so most of the failed ones probably have the same crack.

rush3 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS

This guy can fix it cheap with out all the work. Thought I would mention it. He did mine and it came with a lifetime guarante

CBCadi06 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS 2006 3.6

I just wanted to say something I thought was wierd that happened to my cadillac o6 cts the other week,
    My 3rd brake light hasnt been working for about 2 years, I always put off the fix, (in Ut they didnt care about having a 3rd.)

Couple weeks ago I got rear ended in the ugly Virginia traffic by some rubberneckin blondie(she admitted she was looking at the side of the road..)and the brake light started working again.
    Not sure how that all worked out but I'm happy I have it working again!

mistertwoturbo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Thanks for the walkthrough, Tommy Compton!

Sorry to revive this thread, but could someone give me some insight as to how to make the third brake light shine brighter? I have installed the Neonxa transformer in series just as Tommy suggested, but it doesn't seem to shine that bright. When I touch a screwdriver to the electrode it shines brighter but only the one side. Am I installing it incorrectly?

I encountered the same problem that njgliderider1 did in post 36. After trial and error, I ended up using the white wire coming from the left neon tube (when looking at the brake light) and connected it to the white lead on the transformer. The center two wires coming off the tubes I soldered together to make it run in series. I grounded the red wire coming from the right neon tube along with the black lead from the transformer and the black wire from the harness.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Xtant12 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS-AWD DI ( Hot Lava Edition )

Congrads on this project. This happened to me on my 04 CTS and they wanted like 700.00 for the entire back pannel. They told me it was all one piece. I broke mine open just like you did but I replaced it all with a 12 12 or 16 inch red LED strip from ebay for 3.25 shipped. It was a long project but glad i got it done. The light never worked when I bought the car. Anyways, Good work!!

Mankalas is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts

Hello,

I have bought recently a cadillac CTS, and the third brake light is off. It was bought the first time at december of 2007, so i think that it is 2008 model, but im not sure, i have the option nav+bose 5.1(This is why i think it is 2008 model) and i was wondering if this walkthrough works for my car or not.
    In case that this does not work for my car, how can i fix this problem?

Thanks in advance for the answers!!!

And hapy new year!!!

Ahill3265 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I know you posted this repair a few years ago, but I'm hoping I can reach you through this forum. I did the repair you posted on the Cadillac center brake lamp and only one side works. Can you direct me on What I may have done wrong with the repair. Please help, my name is Allen Hill my email is ahill_1@charter.net

Thanks in advance
    Allen

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.