Mad Scientist: Yes, you too can change your wheel bearing. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Mad Scientist: Yes, you too can change your wheel bearing. in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Why don't you go do a write up or something? I bought the bearings from autozone, they said timken on ...
    Kael is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option

Re: Mad Scientist: Yes, you too can change your wheel bearing.

Why don't you go do a write up or something?

I bought the bearings from autozone, they said timken on the tag, I burned the first pair out in 30,000 miles. one at 27,500 one at 29,000.
    Multiple members of my old grand prix group had issues with these bearings.
    The installation went perfectly.
    Installation methods were even varied.
    From one bolt at a time to putting all three in and then going a turn round and round and round till tight.
    Torque wrenches were used, instructions followed, locktite applied.
    There was NO error in installation.

I am going to try to meet you halfway on this.
    I bought it at autozone, this is the only experience I have had with timken.
    Now, autozone could have been getting lower grade parts from timken to boost their profit margins so that the parts I received were not up to the normal stellar par of timken's general lines.
    Or they could have been buying crap and putting it in different boxes, I certainly wouldnt put it past them.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Kael View Post
    Why don't you go do a write up or something?

I bought the bearings from autozone, they said timken on the tag, I burned the first pair out in 30,000 miles. one at 27,500 one at 29,000.
    Multiple members of my old grand prix group had issues with these bearings.
    The installation went perfectly.
    Installation methods were even varied.
    From one bolt at a time to putting all three in and then going a turn round and round and round till tight.
    Torque wrenches were used, instructions followed, locktite applied.
    There was NO error in installation.

I am going to try to meet you halfway on this.
    I bought it at autozone, this is the only experience I have had with timken.
    Now, autozone could have been getting lower grade parts from timken to boost their profit margins so that the parts I received were not up to the normal stellar par of timken's general lines.
    Or they could have been buying crap and putting it in different boxes, I certainly wouldnt put it past them.
    Timken bearings would have Timken clearly engraved in the bearing races to the degree that a blind man could identify them. Timken doesn't make bearings of lesser quality. They are all made by the same processes and machinery. What is different is the QC process that certifies the accuracy of the higher graded bearings. What I have done is verify the accuracy of lower grade bearings and verify that they meet the specs of their higher grade counterparts because of shortages in the supply chain. The bearings are all the same. What is different is the certification. The very highest quality machine tools made use Timken bearings. It's possible that some engineer decided to select a bearing that was not intended for the use it was applied to but was for some other application and failed as a result. If you can't trust Timken there is nobody left because they are the best there is. On the other hand, when you make something that is fool proof there always seems to be a better fool come along to fill the breach. Bearings fail from overload, wrong installation, dirt, improper lubrication or other causes and the cause of the failure can usually be determined by a careful examination of the residue. Timken engineers can quickly diagnose the problem for you if you'll give them a chance.
    http://www.timken.com/en-us/Knowledg...rtCatalog.aspx
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Coma is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS 2.8L

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski View Post
    I don't have any financial connection with Timken.
    unlikely

Quote Originally Posted by xocomaox View Post
    unlikely
    I confess, I have Timken bearings in my ice cream maker.

You do know that we are talking about the wheel and hub bearing assembly right?
    Not just the bearing itself but the entire assembly.

Coma is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS 2.8L

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski View Post
    I confess, I have Timken bearings in my ice cream maker.
    Hah! Exposed for the fraud you really are!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kael View Post
    You do know that we are talking about the wheel and hub bearing assembly right?
    Not just the bearing itself but the entire assembly.
    What's there to fail besides the bearing?

1946415cd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by Cartdawg View Post
    Kael!

AWESOME write up!! lol..I have some kind of 'whining' in my front passenger area, and I have no idea what it is..I've taken it to the dealer..they can't find/hear anything even when they take it out and drive it...only happens randomly. Usually it seems when i'm de-celerating it starts whining...weird..

You think it could be a bearing? Or would a bearing be a CONSTANT whining/groaning? Just curious....b/c this whining thing in my 05 is driving me nuts.....and I have NO idea what it is..nor does the dealer b/c they can't reproduce it....
    I too have a loud intermittent whine coming from the passenger side. It happens when I accelerate and only when my wife is in the car.
    Freeflyer likes this.

jcs003 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

In my experience, OEM bearings are best. the replacements (timken or otherwise) are 'usually' not specific to the forces, (wear and load) applied in the desired application. as an engineer we use the "machinery's handbook" along with manufactures specs to choose proper bearings for an application.

the OEM bearings are selected then tested for the specific vehicle, so to settle this dispute. go OEM.

1946415cd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Cartdawg View Post
    Kael!

AWESOME write up!! lol..I have some kind of 'whining' in my front passenger area, and I have no idea what it is..I've taken it to the dealer..they can't find/hear anything even when they take it out and drive it...only happens randomly. Usually it seems when i'm de-celerating it starts whining...weird..

You think it could be a bearing? Or would a bearing be a CONSTANT whining/groaning? Just curious....b/c this whining thing in my 05 is driving me nuts.....and I have NO idea what it is..nor does the dealer b/c they can't reproduce it....
    I too have a loud intermittent whine coming from the passenger side. It happens when I accelerate and only when my wife is in the car.

tommy compton is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by 1946415cd View Post
    lol, that's great. i have the same problem, only when my girlfriend is in the car.

Wow, I had almost forgotten about this write up.
    And I used to be funny.
    Oh well. By the way, installed the used OEM front bearing at 96k, car is now 178k and the bearing is still fine.

Jim's 06 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Not to belabor the obvious, but were the bearings properly packed before installation, using a real bearing packer, and not your fingers? Just asking.

Full disclosure- I've made dumber mistakes than this.

Oh okay I thought I had covered this.
    The bearings come as a complete hub unit with speed sensor. No grease or packing is involved

Firewalker is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS 3.6l

Getting ready to order a front hub for my 2006 cts. Found this interesting note on the order page which may explain why some Timken products are better than others.

Note: Timken partners with other manufacturers to supply their complete line of quality parts. This product is in a Timken package, however the part may have been manufactured by an independent Timken supplier.

interesting! I am going to order it anyway and will report back to what I find and/or how they work.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.