CTS started shaking violently on the highway..
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, CTS started shaking violently on the highway.. in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; So I'm on the highway driving back from a holiday trip, and right about when I leave the check engine ...
    sterling is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

CTS started shaking violently on the highway..

So I'm on the highway driving back from a holiday trip, and right about when I leave the check engine light comes on. I drive for another hour and it goes away, and then a little later it comes back on. And when it came back on the car started shaking lol, kinda scary when you're driving fast and you're far from your destination. The light goes away again along with the shaking, but the shaking reappears, and this goes back and forth the whole way home. Glad I made it home..

On the way I stopped at an auto parts store and the guy hooked up a scanner, but it didn't throw any codes. I'm taking it to the dealership today. Anyone had this before? If you did, what was wrong?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Kael is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option

Re: CTS started shaking violently on the highway..

was there a decrease in power as well?

and by the way, if the check engine light comes on, there should be a code in there somewhere.

alright. loss of power might mean that the engine went into "limp home" mode, shutting down four of the cylinders.

give us more details.

There was a definite loss of power, yes. The shaking was worse when I was accelerating, but it shook when it was idling also. My friend was like "what the hell, are we gonna blow up?" haha. 70,000 miles on the car, can't think of any more details at the moment. Thank you!

Coma is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS 2.8L

This sounds like a nightmare.

Yea for real Xoco, and then it got dark and started raining! That's when I said a quick prayer lol. Anyway goin to the dealership in two hours I'll let you guys know.

jcs003 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

sound like misfires. my car did it and it ran with no check engine light until it got worse. it shook so bad i thought the engine was blown. i replaced a coil pack and problem was solved. it also came out of nowhere. my mechanic said it happened "under heavy load." the evidence will be orange residue where the plugs are located, if this is the case.

Ok so I went to the dealership and they aren't worth anything. I waited four hours for them to hook up a scanner and test drive it for a few miles, and what do you know the problem went away while it was there. The scanner revealed a misfire, and they said they didn't know what the problem was and didn't give me any advice. They said it could have been "bad gas or dirty fuel injectors, but the problem has resolved itself". I paid them their $70 and drove my merry ass home, and now the problem has returned and it is nonstop shaking. I'm taking it to a highly regarded mechanic tomorrow at a local shop, just over the phone he said he thinks it could be the coil pack, but could be a few other things. JSC003, how much did that run you?

jcs003 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

$342, but the shop i took it to is my boss's friend. so thats a good ball park figure.

StripermanZ71 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

When I read your post I thought you might have the same problem I had a couple months ago with my 2003 CTS 3.2...turns out I busted a valve spring in the number one cylinder and by the time the dealer diagnosed the problem and disassembled half the motor to replace the thing, it cost me over 3 grand...between the mechanic and the service manager they had over 40 years experience and between them they saw this happen only a few times...now warning of course and had nothing to do with maintenance or abuse....driving 40 MPH and immediately shut it down and had it put on a deck truck and taken to dealer....ran VERY rough when it happened and was not drivable...bad luck is all I could attribute it to so I bent over and gave them my VISA....with 68k miles I was out of warranty.

MuGeN is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS 2004 3.6L

If your got a 3.2L we got a lot of missfire issue due to a faulty coil module on one bank. Normaly on bank 1. We change coil most of the time! Just try to find on wich cylinder you got your missfire and we can help you more after. Good luck!

Mike

I have a 3.6 liter. The mechanic closed early so I'm gonna have to wait until friday..the CTS is out of comission until then. I feel like a piece of me is missing...

txbest1980 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"

i know the feeling STERLING...until i just replaced my Crankshaft Position Sensor my car just wasnt right so i didnt drive it often, and i had that empty feeling in my stomach...

BLACK CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS Luxury Sport

Did you add anything to the oil recently? The reason I ask is because I put Engine Restorer in my oil and all hell broke lose. It ran like total crap. It clogged up the actuator selanoids causing the timing to be all jacked up. It's a real picky motor when it comes down to thickness of oil.

Yea TX, it sucks! And no I haven't messed with the oil but I will definitely watch out for that, thanks for the heads up.

Update, the problem is within cylinder 5, don't know what it is specifically yet.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.