Snow driving for the 2003-2007???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Snow driving for the 2003-2007??? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; How do the board members here manage to get through the snow, with their RWDs Cadillacs. I got a 2004 ...
    Bosnian is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6L

Snow driving for the 2003-2007???

How do the board members here manage to get through the snow, with their RWDs Cadillacs.
    I got a 2004 CTS 3.6L and could not get out, we have like a foot of snow.

Should I get chains, new tires??
    What are your recommendations??

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BLACK CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS Luxury Sport

Re: Snow driving for the 2003-2007???

Quote Originally Posted by Bosnian View Post
    How do the board members here manage to get through the snow, with their RWDs Cadillacs.

I'm in the same boat as you buddy. I live in Chicago and this car is terrible in the snow. These guys are gonna tell you to get winter tires like the Bridgestone Blizzak WS60. I guess they are pretty good in the snow.

I was looking into just getting a good set of all season's that have a descent snow rating so I don't have to buy 2 sets of tires.

Custom88 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS

How do I get around? I absolutely HAD to get snow tires/wheels. all seasons just simply will not cut it. The CTS does "OK' in the snow with the snow tires, but still not as good as my previous GM front wheel drive vehicles. Don't expect it to go through anything more than 5".

This is how mine is looking these days.. haha.

Ghost Deany is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade, 2005 CTS

ive had mine in the snow twice and to me it really isnt that bad

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

I drove my '04 CTS thousands of miles through all kinds of snow in interior Alaska and I was never stopped. One time I stopped and waited for them to plow the Parks Highway because the snow was 16 feet deep at Cantwell. The original RS/As did fine but WS-50 Blizzaks are definitely better. It would go through snow so deep that the front valance would catch it and sluice it up over the windshield. It was hard to see where you were going but it went. Keep the car moving and try to keep from spinning the wheels.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Sammy Z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS 03

I have rather new all-season tires on my car, I have to carry about 200 lbs of books in my trunk for work and I use the "Snow" button for city driving. I have no problem in the Chicago area. I also program one of the steering buttons for "Traction Control" so it's easier to disable TC when I want the wheels to spin.

Coma is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS 2.8L

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski View Post
    because the snow was 16 feet deep
    Best.

jcs003 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

i have Voygue all seasons and they do pretty well. and when you use the "snow button," it really does help. seems the tires are key.

Kael is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option

I have honestly had cars that were much worse than the cts in the snow.

first up. check your tires.
    if you need them,
    don't get "snow tires" get "winter tires".
    last year I cursed my car daily about how bad it was in the snow,
    turns out my tires were really worn out, got a new set of all seasons and this year I am all sorts of amazed at how well it does.

go to jewel, get a big bag of rock salt, put it in the trunk to help weigh down the rear. this helps a lot and if you ever get stuck you have a big bag o rock salt to help get you out.

the third gear start snow button is your friend. if you don't have it (2006 and up i think) put the shifter over into the gates and put it in third manually.
    the third gear start really helps to get you going in slick spots.

I drive in the chicago burbs and the city itself all the time. I drive from naperville to o'hare and back EVERY DAY.

learn your car.
    I have an 04 with every option except the limited slip differential,
    learn to use your brakes to trick the rear into switching drive wheels if you have to.

caterabullet is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Thumbs up Re: Snow driving for the 2003-2007???

Quote Originally Posted by Bosnian View Post

2003 CTS here.

I had stock tires on my car last year. It wouldn't f###in move an inch on very light snow. It was trash. My tires spun like crazy. I lost control going 10 miles an hour on my street.

This year I put all season tires Bridgestone Potenze RE-960s on all 4 tires. Bro My car was a complete monster in the blizzard this weekend. I live in MA. 12 inches of snow and my car plowed through it like it was a dam truck. I gave it so many tests. Stopping distance. Start from stop. Taking sharp turns with speed. My car would not loose control. I Even parked my car in a pit just to see if it got out. IT went through it as if it was black pavement.

I didn't want to get snow tires because I hear they loose tread easily

Im so god dam happy. I read 100's of customer reviews on these tires and let me tell you they weren't kidding these tires make all the difference

Coma is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS 2.8L

My car sucks in the snow. And the only reason I can think of is the fact that my stock tires are worn down so much it's not even funny. It's dangerous. But I manage, I'm a pretty decent, and careful, driver. I honestly don't value my life enough to put on better winter tires, even though I probably should. I keep saying I should be never do.

Mk3SJerzy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

you think thats bad check this out! had a snow storm, driving into work this morning and dam car started to lose control and i ended up like this (see link) cts is horrible in the snow, rear wheel drive sucks for the snow, im getting studded in the back and snow tires in the front, its a must. or im selling it and buying a 4x4 lol

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ar-snow-2.html

03cts sport is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

LOL: "I honestly don't value my life enough to put on better winter tires..."

'03 standard transmission here. Went two Canadian winters with the all seasons. Wouldn't recommend it. Went with 4 winter tires, and I make sure I have the added weight of a full tank of gas. Now no problems at all. (Also programmed the traction control on the wheel so I can easily turn it off to enjoy "drifting" without burning off the rubber.)
    Put snow tires on your factory rims, and buy some nice summer rubber for a new set of rims!!!

exesivefire is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0t AWD

Best 600 bucks I spent this year, Mich. X ice

late year was horrible though...

nickc50310 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2004 Customized black on tan 3.6L CTS

Most all seasons suck in the snow. I had yokohama avids for some of last year. I could not get around in an inch of snow. I then put Blazzak WS-60s on and I was unstoppable. I could get around in 8+ inches no problem. I could even get up my street which is a huge hill. I have seen 4x4s get stuck on my street.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.