Snow driving for the 2003-2007??? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Snow driving for the 2003-2007??? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Originally Posted by dkozloski I drove my '04 CTS thousands of miles through all kinds of snow in interior Alaska ...
    GT!
    GT! is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Silver 2010 Sedan 3.6 AWD

Re: Snow driving for the 2003-2007???

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski View Post
    I drove my '04 CTS thousands of miles through all kinds of snow in interior Alaska and I was never stopped. One time I stopped and waited for them to plow the Parks Highway because the snow was 16 feet deep at Cantwell. The original RS/As did fine but WS-50 Blizzaks are definitely better. It would go through snow so deep that the front valance would catch it and sluice it up over the windshield. It was hard to see where you were going but it went. Keep the car moving and try to keep from spinning the wheels.
    That's the difference between living in a big city vs. Alaska - it's impossible to keep the car moving due to traffic. If I could maintain momentum no problem, but when you're forced to stop because the car in front has stopped it can be a real killer, especially on an incline.

I've also found that in certain conditions that spinning the wheels is the only way to keep the car moving (e.g. icey hills). I know there are those who are going to disagree with me and quote driving tips & studies, but experience tells me otherwise.

-GT

PublicEnemy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS 3.6L VVT

Winter mode...yeah what a ****ing joke that is.

The CTS is OK in the snow, just turn off the TC and the stability.

It's about as good as any other RWD car.

the cadillac kid is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): > BMUU

best bet, get some designated snow tires & keep the RPMs down; the tiptronic system is your friend.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by GT! View Post
    That's the difference between living in a big city vs. Alaska - it's impossible to keep the car moving due to traffic. If I could maintain momentum no problem, but when you're forced to stop because the car in front has stopped it can be a real killer, especially on an incline.

I've also found that in certain conditions that spinning the wheels is the only way to keep the car moving (e.g. icey hills). I know there are those who are going to disagree with me and quote driving tips & studies, but experience tells me otherwise.

-GT
    Common knowledge is not always correct. Sometimes you DO need to keep the tires spinning for trackion. Spinning the tires would heat them up, and on a hill with rwd, this might be the only way to stop you from sliding back down a hill.

I still maintain that RWD is better then FWD in any situation except for hills.

nickc50310 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2004 Customized black on tan 3.6L CTS

-GT

What kind of tires you got?

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

-GT
    Keep as large a distance as possible behind the car ahead. Do all your braking for stoplights early so you can creep toward the stop. Around here you'll notice the truckers as well as plenty of others doing the same thing. You should already be doubling or tripling your normal interval to the car ahead. Keep an eye on the rear view mirror so if some idiot behind you is having trouble stopping you can pull ahead to give him more room. Believe me, there is plenty of heavy traffic in Alaska.

When I was in college my physics professor warned the class that if he ever saw a student spinning his wheels to get moving it was an automatic flunk in the course because the student obviously didn't understand the difference between the dynamic and static coefficients of friction.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

GT!
    GT! is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Silver 2010 Sedan 3.6 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski View Post
    Keep as large a distance as possible behind the car ahead. Do all your braking for stoplights early so you can creep toward the stop. Around here you'll notice the truckers as well as plenty of others doing the same thing. You should already be doubling or tripling your normal interval to the car ahead. Keep an eye on the rear view mirror so if some idiot behind you is having trouble stopping you can pull ahead to give him more room. Believe me, there is plenty of heavy traffic in Alaska.

When I was in college my physics professor warned the class that if he ever saw a student spinning his wheels to get moving it was an automatic flunk in the course because the student obviously didn't understand the difference between the dynamic and static coefficients of friction.
    I think what they don't take into account is that the spinning tires can melt through a thin layer of ice down to traction. All I know is that in some circumstances spinning the tires does work better. For me it is a last resort, I'm not suggesting it should be used as a preferred winter-driving method.

You typically won't find any truckers in the city here. Keeping your distance makes sense, but is not always practical in bumper-bumper traffic. Also, in the city there are plenty of stop signs/lights that force you to stop and lose all momentum. I think it is clear we live in two very different cities when it comes to driving.

-GT

Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD Performance Sedan

Wide tires are the worse in snow, you want narrow tires to cut thru the snow. You need 75 series tires or AWD.

I was driving (w/2008 GMC 4x4 Z71) in a snow white our last week, heavy snow and noticed a red cadi in front of me, an old guy (80's) driving a bright red CTS AWD.

Coma is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS 2.8L

What does 75 series tires have to do with width?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.