CTS problems...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, CTS problems... in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; okay guys, here is my situation, i hope somebody has a bit of knowledge or can lead me in the ...
    txbest1980 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"

Question CTS problems...

okay guys, here is my situation, i hope somebody has a bit of knowledge or can lead me in the right direction...

i bought an 03 CTS earlier this year, had absolutely no problems with it the first few months i had it. she ran look a champion cadillac should. then one day, i made a huge mistake by jumping a friends car becuase he was in a bine and my car was the only one around...i know you are not suppose to do this, but i was trying to be a good friend and figured what the hell, it is just one time i am jumping somebody. well less than two days after that, my battery was drained and it cost me $363.02...

well since that great day of having the battery replaced, my CTS has not been acting right since. she now at times will not immediately crank, and when this happens, i generally have to wait about 15 to 20 minutes for her to finally crank. meanwhile, while i do try to crank her, all the car does is consistently turn over like it wants to crank...i have had to wait up to 2 hours before for it to crank...

i have also ran across the car stalling out on me, when going thru a drive thru or coming to a stop at a stop sign...of course this is embarrassing having to push a cadillac to a parking spot because it wont crank back up...yes, once the car stalls, it will not crank back up, unless i wait the above lotted time...

i have taken the car to my local (sorry ass) cadillac dealership and they can not do anything with my car because they can not duplicate the problem and my "Check Engine" light does not come on so they can not pull any codes off of the car. i have left my car for them to try and duplicate the problem for a week and a half and nothing. so if anybody out there has any idea what i can do, it would be greatly appreciated if you could share your useful knowledge with me and get my great CTS back and running like a Cadillac should run...thanks in advance for any and all help or opinions...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Sammy Z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS 03

Re: CTS problems...

When you say crank, do you mean start?

If the battery is turning he engine, but the engine will not start, suspect the Crank shaft position sensor. It's a common problem with the 03. However if the battery is not cranking the engine, that's different. There is a lot of info in this forum on the CPS,do a search, it's about $60 and you may be able to replace it yourself.

BTW,what type of battery did you install and what is the CCA rating on the battery?

mikes2nd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

sounds like maybe you got the wired switched? did you run reverse for a time? did it spark?

How long did you crank on the jump?

obviously you damaged some wire in the charging system it sounds. Maybe the ignition wire?

I would maybe hit up a local car wrecker and start hunting for wiring harnesses, also the components of the charging system.

Did you have the alternator and battery checked for being good? I would think an engine code would get thrown. Get the battery tested also(maybe a new one is bad) and make sure you didnt kill that battery.

the battery is an AC DELCO and the battery says 650 CCA 320...if that helps you with anything...my local (sorry ass) cadillac dealership installed it.

as far as cranking it, my info screen says my battery is fine, and i have had that checked along with my alternator...and they have read good on several different occasions...and yes, i mean by cranking it i mean by trying to start it...

Quote Originally Posted by mikes2nd View Post
    sounds like maybe you got the wired switched? did you run reverse for a time? did it spark?

How long did you crank on the jump?

obviously you damaged some wire in the charging system it sounds. Maybe the ignition wire?

I would maybe hit up a local car wrecker and start hunting for wiring harnesses, also the components of the charging system.

Did you have the alternator and battery checked for being good? I would think an engine code would get thrown. Get the battery tested also(maybe a new one is bad) and make sure you didnt kill that battery.

didnt get the wires switched around for sure, and on the jump my car was already started...but it may have sat on my car connected with my buddies for maybe 2 minutes max time...

I had a problem with the replacement battery that I put in my car after the original. It was 650 CCA and had similar symptons. It came down to me using a jumper battery that I kept in the trunk. I finally replaced the 2nd battery with a third 800 CCA battery and that took care of the problem. You would think a 650 CCA would be sufficient for a 6 cylinder engine, but my fix was to install a 800 CCA.

BTW, check you Auto-up of the front windows to see if that still works, you may have to reprogram those.

SAMMY Z...did your car stall out a few times as well? if this is going to fix my problem, i think i will be extra sick, after spending $70 a pop having my local (sorry ass) cadillac dealership look at my car and they were the ones who suggested and installed this battery...thanks for the post and i will continue to try and recitify my situation and keep the post coming

When I had the battery problem, my car did not stall-out. It would just not crank. I would get a 1/2 crank and then nothing. Most of the time the problem was when the engine was warm. Someone told be that because of the increased compression, a warm/hot engine is harder to crank then a cold engine. I don't know what could be causing the stalling, maybe Mikes2nd is correct in saying it may be in the charging circuit, maybe the alternater is dragging down the engiine causing the stall. BTW, mine is an 03 with the 3.2 engine.

i have the 3.2 engine in mine as well...and i find that my engine is warm most of the time when i have the cranking problem as well...it rarely happens to me when the car is cold? but it has happened then as well...

dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Crankshaft Position Sensor.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski View Post
    Crankshaft Position Sensor.

so are you saying that i should change out my crankshaft position sensor?

wouldnt a crank position center throw a friggin code?

When my CPS went out, there were no codes.

The CPS may be the cause of the stalls. The battery being less than 800 CCA may cause the no-crank condition. As I remember it, this time last year, I had both these problems, the real problem was the CPS but I thought it may be the old battery. So I went to Sam's Club and the only battery that would fit, was the 600 CCA battery. So I purchased it, and created the second problem.(1/2 crank only). Eventually I replaced the CPS, took the battery back to Sam's and went to Sears to get the 800 CCA Die-hard. End of all my problems. Then I had to reprogram my windows. THE END.

BTW, One more useless fact, all my problems started when I went on vacation and left the car unused for a week, the battery died and i had to jump the car. After that the CPS went bad and I had to screw around with the battery replacement. But now for the last year, it's been running perfect.

jerrychen0067 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

U NEED TO RESET THE ELECTRONIC THROTTLE MODULE after disconnecting the battery.
    READ THE DAMN OWNER's MANUAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i would have thought the dealer would have reset everything for him?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.