Volant CAI Problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Volant CAI Problems in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I must say that this is the worst Intake install I have ever experienced! In fact, I don't think I ...
    jpo96sungt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS

Volant CAI Problems

I must say that this is the worst Intake install I have ever experienced! In fact, I don't think I actually have the 3.6L intake. Is the 5.7L different? First, It took me 35min to get the MAF sensor on due to the filter coupler having 2 different bolt patterns of which only one is correct. Once i figured that out the bolts were too short to use the lock washer! I finally got to the snorkel that connects to the MAF and the silicon "hump hose" was too small in diameter to attach to the snorkel so I used the stock one. Once I got to the silicon sleeve that connects to the throttle body(at least the sleeve was the right diameter) there was no physical way to get it on! The radiator fan support kept getting in the way. The biggest thing was that even if it could go on, the "hump hose" is so bound up that it would restrict flow. Did any one have the same problems!?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

TotalEclipse31 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS VTXi

Re: Volant CAI Problems

Well I don't have my Volant yet, but I will def. be watching this thread to see what the verdict is. I would think maybe you ended up with the wrong intake.

Kohmonster is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 White Diamond CTS 3.6L

Yes on all accounts!!!! My children learned several new words watching daddy try to connect the MAF assembly to the filter coupling. I was definitely expecting something a little more plug and play, but now that it's on I don't have any complaints.

TotalEclipse31 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS VTXi

So you guys are gonna be around to help me when I finally get mine right? LOL

Well I gave up on putting it on for now. I will try and muscle it when I have calmed down about it!

Follow the instructions from the cadillacfaq site and prepare to do some cutting and swearing and you should do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by jpo96sungt View Post
    Well I gave up on putting it on for now. I will try and muscle it when I have calmed down about it!
    I had to cut a couple inches off the hose that connects to the throttlebody to eliminate the interference with the radiator.

sosgood is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS

I'm surprised. I got mine on in about 45 minutes start to finish. I had to cut the hose a little and things were a tight fit but it was not as bad as it sounds yours is.

Kael is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option

send us some pics of your volant.
    I think you may have gotten some wrong parts.

the correct plastic intake that hooks up to the throttle body has a molded in dent so that it clears the radiator with no real problems.

the biggest issue i had with mine was just getting the stubborn stock plug off of the MAF.

bigdawgfoxx is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS Every Option

Yeah, putting mine on was a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Kael View Post
    send us some pics of your volant.
    I think you may have gotten some wrong parts.

the correct plastic intake that hooks up to the throttle body has a molded in dent so that it clears the radiator with no real problems.

the biggest issue i had with mine was just getting the stubborn stock plug off of the MAF.
    It has the dent but the problem may just be the "hump hose". I am work so I can't get pics but i'll try to assemble it fully instead of in pieces under the hood and see if that helps.

Kael is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option

sorry, can you tell me more about what the hump hose is?
    I have the volant intake on my 3.6L so i must have the same part.

alright, as i recall it went throttle body hose/plastic thing
    to the maf, to the adapter to the wall of the box to the filter.

and there was the connector to what i think was some sort of crank case vapor return

and you have to remember to cut out that bit of rubber from next to the radiator so the snorkel can get air from behind the grill.

The "hump hose", as it is called in the assembly diagram, connects the air tube to the maf sensor. It has a hump in the middle but what it is for i do not know.

AmericanMuscle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Sorry to read of your Volant problems. Where did you get your Volant - on line or from a distributor? Do you have everything worked out yet?

Update:
    Ughh! That thing was a b i o t c h! I have never sweat so much from thinking so hard as how to get this thing together. How can a company design a intake tube then give silicon connectors that don't fit!? That stupid hump hose is what I am talking about. The maf diameter and intake tube diameter are 2 diff sizes! Then the damn hose clamps barely fit! Luckily the screw was able to catch the last slit in the clamp and tighten! Rediculous! I didn't even use that foam ring for the air box or I never would have been able to make it fit. I don't know about the K&N design but it may be worth it to save the hassle and get it instead. I can't be the only one who had this much trouble and if I am then I question my 136 IQ.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.