Random wont starts
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Random wont starts in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; It might be a week or a month or 3 months. Sometimes my car wont start. Example - I have ...
    Brandon6127 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Random wont starts

It might be a week or a month or 3 months. Sometimes my car wont start. Example - I have been driving around and i am getting ready to stop and get some gas. When i get back in the car to start it sometimes it just wont turn over. If i get it jumped it does and its fine.

This also happens if i keep the car in AUX and listen to radio for more than 2 mins. Is it just the battery? Or is the alternator a problem?

Once the car starts the battery levels read fine. This doesnt happen at any normal time. It is completely random and happens at different times, temps, places, everything. Also if it happens today i can drive it around and it might not happen again for awhile or it might happen the next time i try to start it.

This is a 2003 Cadillac CTS with 37,000 miles on it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

PublicEnemy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS 3.6L VVT

Re: Random wont starts

Sounds like your battery isn't holding it's charge.

lexterminator is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Try to start the car, run it for like 5 secs, then turn it off right away. See if the car can re-start right away. If it does then wait 5 secs then turn it off again. If it's the battery problem I don't think it will be able to do 3 quick starts. Only a healthy battery can do that.

Have you noticed if you car cranks at a slower pace than normal ? Do you live in a cold area ? If you live in a warm area, battery problems take more time to detect.

Unless you have a dead spot somewhere in your starter solenoid but with such low mileage I doubt it.

TotalEclipse31 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS VTXi

I just had my starter Solenoid replaced under warranty, but I am having the same issue. I think its just the battery not holding a charge. I'm gonna get my Altinator check just in case, but I have just been too lazy to go get a new battery.

Sammy Z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS 03

Keep an eye on the voltage reading on your radio display when it's running mine says 14.6v. That should be as good as getting the alternator tested. If you replace the battery, look for one that is around 800 CCA or better. No need in spending $150 at the Dealer.

Battery was my first initial thought and also the cheapest to fix. I live in Indiana and it is just now starting to get cold. I think i am going to replace the battery and see if i get anymore issues.

Thanks for the help guys. I will keep you updated as to if that solves it or not. Might be awhile since it randomly has this problem

I noticed yesterday while i was looking under the hood that this was not the original battery. This wasnt even close. It was like half the size of the battery tray and was only 525 CCA. That has to be why it was having trouble starting randomly.

I am going to look around today and see what i can find to replace this one.

Sammy Z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS 03

I'd say that is your problem. Remember that a hot engine is harder to crank than a cold engine. There is a lot of info in this forum on batteries. Find one with more CCAs.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.