tranny fluid?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, tranny fluid? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; ok so i read the owners manual and it says you never have to change the fluid unless you are ...
    ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

tranny fluid?

ok so i read the owners manual and it says you never have to change the fluid unless you are towing or are a taxi or cop....so really when do i have to change it lol???
    oil wears out and what type does it take?
    btw its a 03 lux sport if that makes a difference.
    my fluid life says 100% and im at 127km about 80 miles i think

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Sammy Z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS 03

Re: tranny fluid?

Someone said in one of these posts that it lasts the life of the transmision. At about 80k miles, I had mike changed at the dealer. BYTW, The display always says 100%. It's never changed on mine.

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

if it lasts the life of the tranny doesnt that mean to never change it? i think ill get it done over the winter by the dealer. i dont agree with never changing it at all, i think if anything it should bt switched to synthetic. (you can switch it cant you)

shaver is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I just had mine changed at 60k. Thats what I was told to do. Heh, better safe than sorry.

silver bullet is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS Lux/Sport

My 04 has 23,456 miles and it says 87% trans life on the DIC. If you are at 100% and it never changes there must be something wrong. I started at 100% when the car was new.

shaver is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by silver bullet View Post
    My 04 has 23,456 miles and it says 87% trans life on the DIC. If you are at 100% and it never changes there must be something wrong. I started at 100% when the car was new.
    Mine is at 100% as well, and has never changed. You're actually the first person I've heard that has a fluctuated reading.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

If you never overheat the transmission, the oil life monitor will never change. Heat is what affects the transmission oil the most. Every other factor has much less of an effect.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Custom88 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS

My 05 with 79,000 miles reads 64% on the transmission life monitor.. It was at 71% when I bought it in August of 07, with 58K miles.

arbiepilot is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS Luxury Sport 3.6L of Pure Silver Smoke...

'06 CTS with 48,000 miles says 86% on the DIC. I can't believe I have
    ever "overheated" the transmission but may have. Perhaps I have
    but since I've never had it over 130MPH, I wouldn't think so.

The trans fluid in the modern cars is easily good for the life of the car in normal driving. Running it to 100K is very "safe" and will cause no harm to the trans.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transmission Fluid Information (check this discussion for references): (back to the top)

Transmission fluid is not like engine oil. It is not exposed to blow by and by products of combustion. It does not see copius amounts of water from blowby on coldstarts. There is not much to deplete the lubricating characteristics of the trans oil and the antiwear and special friction modifier packages are very robust and stable. The temperature of the transmission fluid is pretty carefully controlled in the cooling development for the car. About the only thing that will shorten the transmission fluid's life is excessive heat and excessive heat for long periods of time. Since the modern transmission fluid has a high synthetic content it is pretty stable even at temps approaching 300°F. So...the things that govern and oil change in an engine do NOT apply to the transmission. Not at all.

The transmission fluid life "counter" in the display uses the transmission temperature as a means of judging the transmission fluid life. As long as nothing is done that the algorithm sees to shorten the life of the fluid it will stay at 100% virtually forever. If you start towing trailers or running extended heavy load operation you will see the transmission fluid life decrement fairly rapidly. If it is "stuck" on 100% then that means that the operating parameters that the PCM sees for the transmission fluid have all remained well within the guidelines for life time use of the transmission fluid. The transmission oil life monitor does not operate the same way the engine oil life monitor operates so you will typically see it stay at 100% in most cases.

The above information is from the forum archives.

PublicEnemy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS 3.6L VVT

Mine was at 89% six months ago when I bought the car, w/ 30k, now it's at 45k and the DIC reads 83%

I don't honestly believe that the reason your trans oil life monitor changes is due to "overheating" of the transmission. Mechnically, that makes no sense. Transmission fluid, like any other fluid breaks down over time. Constant use of it, heat up/cool down, etc.. causes the lubricating qualities of the oil to weaken.

Reread post number 10. That's what the guy that designed the transmission oil life monitor system had to say on the subject. You are perfectly free to state your opinion but the guy that wrote the data posted in the forum archives has all the GM engineering data to back him up. What is yours based on?

Spyke is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6L VVT

I changed mine at 52% (82516 miles). I reset the % to 100%. Now with 94281 miles on the odo, the trans fluid life is at 94%. So usually around 1900 miles, the % of the transmission fluid drop by 1% on my car.

Personnally, I dont think the transmission is good til the transmission dies! If your transmission hold until let say, 100k, of course your transmission fluid hold that long but what if you changed it every 50k for example, maybe it would have gone to the 200k mark?! I'm just curious because I'm one of those who changes the trans fluid every 50k

Custom88 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS

The transmission fluid on the CTS is stated as "lifetime" because the transmission is a sealed unit with no easy way to change the fluid. The transmission in the CTS isn't any different than any other transmission in the aspect that the transmission fluid "never" needs to be changed. I'm going to get mine changed as well. With EVERY SINGLE car I have ever owned, the transmission has always performed much better after a fluid change. There isn't a lubricant in the world that lasts forever.

TotalEclipse31 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS VTXi

I agree, I really don't care what the guy who "designed" this monitoring system blieves. I believe it is flawed. It makes no sense to design a system that basically only works if you overheat your transmission. So if you overheat once, then all of a sudden your % life slowly starts going down? Thats stupid in my opinion. I can't speak for cadillac and this is solely my opinion, but why would other manufacturers that have sealed transmissions recommend changes of the fluid but a cadillac tranny can last forever? I could be completely wrong but I am old fashioned when it comes to maintanence (spelling? lol) on my car because thats just how I was raised.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.