tranny fluid? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, tranny fluid? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Originally Posted by TotalEclipse31 I agree, I really don't care what the guy who "designed" this monitoring system blieves. I ...
    dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Re: tranny fluid?

Quote Originally Posted by TotalEclipse31 View Post
    I agree, I really don't care what the guy who "designed" this monitoring system blieves. I believe it is flawed. It makes no sense to design a system that basically only works if you overheat your transmission. So if you overheat once, then all of a sudden your % life slowly starts going down? Thats stupid in my opinion. I can't speak for cadillac and this is solely my opinion, but why would other manufacturers that have sealed transmissions recommend changes of the fluid but a cadillac tranny can last forever? I could be completely wrong but I am old fashioned when it comes to maintanence (spelling? lol) on my car because thats just how I was raised.
    The oil life indicator decrements during that period of time that the transmission oil is subjected to high temperatures. The temperature of the oil is the only significant environmental factor that affects oil life that transmission oil is subjected to. The engineer that developed the OLM system is regarded by her peers as being the foremost lubrication engineer in the world and has received many awards. The owner is free to change the oil as often as they like but be aware that the engineering studies show that you are likely to introduce more dirt and debris into the transmission than you are likely to drain out. Studies showed significant injurious debris was being introduced into transmissions in misguided attempts to service the units. The solution was to assemble the transmissions in a certified clean room and remove the dipstick and fill tube so that the owner wouldn't be monkeying around with it.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Spyke is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6L VVT

My gf's second car, a 2000 toyota echo, a very regular car. There's a transmission stick to check the fluid level but when you check in the owners manual, it says clearly just like gm's telling us, dont change the transmission fluid unless severe conditions. So its not only about what the gm guys that built the olm believes but I kinda think its what most engineers tested. I can't speak for them and I cant speak against them, I'm not an engineer nor a gm vice-president, I,m just a normal person, a sales manager that uses one gm car as a daily office on 4 wheels.

One thing I can surely tell is that the olm for the engine oil life is pretty accurate with MY car. I didn't trust the olm before but since I'm doing some engine oil analysis every oil change, I can tell by real results. I'm going to do the exact same thing when I'll change my transmission fluid.

And by the way, I dont think its supposed to stick at 100% forever. I just think that there's a problem with the computer that calculates. I already asked for that problem in 2 cadillac dealers and both told me its not suppose to stay at 100%. Again, I'm not a lab technician that can certified the fluid...

Quote Originally Posted by Spyke View Post
    My gf's second car, a 2000 toyota echo, a very regular car. There's a transmission stick to check the fluid level but when you check in the owners manual, it says clearly just like gm's telling us, dont change the transmission fluid unless severe conditions. So its not only about what the gm guys that built the olm believes but I kinda think its what most engineers tested. I can't speak for them and I cant speak against them, I'm not an engineer nor a gm vice-president, I,m just a normal person, a sales manager that uses one gm car as a daily office on 4 wheels.

One thing I can surely tell is that the olm for the engine oil life is pretty accurate with MY car. I didn't trust the olm before but since I'm doing some engine oil analysis every oil change, I can tell by real results. I'm going to do the exact same thing when I'll change my transmission fluid.

And by the way, I dont think its supposed to stick at 100% forever. I just think that there's a problem with the computer that calculates. I already asked for that problem in 2 cadillac dealers and both told me its not suppose to stay at 100%. Again, I'm not a lab technician that can certified the fluid...
    You're totally wrong. Below is the quote from the technical archives:
    "The transmission fluid life "counter" in the display uses the transmission temperature as a means of judging the transmission fluid life. As long as nothing is done that the algorithm sees to shorten the life of the fluid it will stay at 100% virtually forever. If you start towing trailers or running extended heavy load operation you will see the transmission fluid life decrement fairly rapidly. If it is "stuck" on 100% then that means that the operating parameters that the PCM sees for the transmission fluid have all remained well within the guidelines for life time use of the transmission fluid. The transmission oil life monitor does not operate the same way the engine oil life monitor operates so you will typically see it stay at 100% in most cases".

dkoz, I know what they are saying what they try to make us believe but right now I'm searching through the net and I'm reading a lot of used transmission fluid analysis (those lifetime one) between 30k miles and 100k miles and with the results I'm reading, I can say its not lifetime. Lexus that has a really nice transmission are saying that its a lifetime fluid but with the results, it can last for approx. 120k-130k miles if babying the car but its not lifetime...Can I say the same thing about our transmission fluid? NO. Why? I didn't see any results yet.

What's the lifetime of the transmission itself? 50k miles, 100k miles, 200k miles? No one knows but we sure know that the fluid last until the transmission dies...

My question is this... if the oil life monitor stays at 100% trans. fluid life. Why putting a severe service in the owners manual for the transmission? In case of.. yeah yeah I know but shouldn't the % decrease if its in severe conditions, no?!? I'm just asking...

TotalEclipse31 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS VTXi

[QUOTE=Spyke;1669552]

What's the lifetime of the transmission itself? 50k miles, 100k miles, 200k miles? No one knows but we sure know that the fluid last until the transmission dies...
    QUOTE]

Im glad someone said it. So does that mean that Mobile 1 is lifetime oil, you can use it until your engine stops working?!? LOL.

What they are saying is that when the transmission dies it isn't going to be the oil that killed it.

TotalEclipse31 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS VTXi

I know what they are saying, Im kidding around. After reading the whole thread again I understand both sides of the "issue" and no longer have a opinion. Imma just do what my dealer tells me to do. haha.

Quote Originally Posted by TotalEclipse31 View Post
    I know what they are saying, Im kidding around. After reading the whole thread again I understand both sides of the "issue" and no longer have a opinion. Imma just do what my dealer tells me to do. haha.
    hahaha its your car, you do whatever you want with it. If you change you transmission fluid, do a fluid analysis from the old fluid versus the new one, maybe we'll be surprise of the result!

chico is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 Caddy CTS

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski View Post
    The trans fluid in the modern cars is easily good for the life of the car in normal driving. Running it to 100K is very "safe" and will cause no harm to the trans.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transmission Fluid Information (check this discussion for references): (back to the top)

Transmission fluid is not like engine oil. It is not exposed to blow by and by products of combustion. It does not see copius amounts of water from blowby on coldstarts. There is not much to deplete the lubricating characteristics of the trans oil and the antiwear and special friction modifier packages are very robust and stable. The temperature of the transmission fluid is pretty carefully controlled in the cooling development for the car. About the only thing that will shorten the transmission fluid's life is excessive heat and excessive heat for long periods of time. Since the modern transmission fluid has a high synthetic content it is pretty stable even at temps approaching 300°F. So...the things that govern and oil change in an engine do NOT apply to the transmission. Not at all.

The transmission fluid life "counter" in the display uses the transmission temperature as a means of judging the transmission fluid life. As long as nothing is done that the algorithm sees to shorten the life of the fluid it will stay at 100% virtually forever. If you start towing trailers or running extended heavy load operation you will see the transmission fluid life decrement fairly rapidly. If it is "stuck" on 100% then that means that the operating parameters that the PCM sees for the transmission fluid have all remained well within the guidelines for life time use of the transmission fluid. The transmission oil life monitor does not operate the same way the engine oil life monitor operates so you will typically see it stay at 100% in most cases.

The above information is from the forum archives.

Thx very interesting information, i was always wondering why the indicator read 100%, i guess i was misguided by my mechanic who said its recomended to be changed every 100k-150k (km)depending on how much abuse it takes ohh well... i learn as i go

dohc281 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS

I bought my 05 this past March with 26000 miles and the Caddy sdealer just replaced the trans fluid and the read out was at 100%. Now 10000 miles later it reads 93%. I don't tow anything or race it or do anything that should increase fluid temps. I've always went on the premise that fluid get contaminated't' and need periodic changes, it can't hurt to change the fluid and I feel comfortable with the thought that it will help transmission life.

Cadillacfilter1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac Cts

dohc281: Did the dealer also changed the transmission filter or just the fluid?

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

hmm, maybe ill change it at the beginning of next summer. mine is a 03 with 127km and it reads 100% still. tranny still runs great but i just wanta make sure i take care of it so it stays that way.

pjd951990 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): They should make a new model name for mine but I guess a CTS

I just had my tranny fluid flushed and all that done today

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.