What to look for on a v6 2003 or 2004 CTS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, What to look for on a v6 2003 or 2004 CTS in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Within the next year I want to buy a new car. The Cadillac CTS v6 is a consideration but I ...
    glassjaw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

What to look for on a v6 2003 or 2004 CTS

Within the next year I want to buy a new car. The Cadillac CTS v6 is a consideration but I hear that they leak oil like mad.

Is this true? What other issues are there to look out for?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

FL01SS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Check out my CTS here: http://www.fquick.com/FL01SS

Re: What to look for on a v6 2003 or 2004 CTS

My garage floor is squeaky clean. Not a drop of oil. I actually never heard of anyone leaking oil, and definitely not "like mad" In 03 you only had one engine option, the 3.2. In 2004 the manual tranny still had the 3.2, but the autos went to the 3.6. 05 on all had 3.6. 3.6 has more power & better mpg. I've been up for almost 26 hours now, so I can't think of anything other than the engines that are different from 03 to 04. One thing to look for, or listen for rather, is the rear end whining. There were differential issues on a lot of the CTSs, butmost people probably heard the whining noise & took it to the dealer & had it replaced under warranty. Probably the biggest issue you'l have to deal with as a CTS owner is constantly having to wipe people's drool off your car. That & if you're like most of the other CTS owners on here, you'll end up with bumps & bruises all over from where you're doing the "look back" & stumble over or run in to something while stairing at your car while walking away.

urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

the dont leak. please search.

mikes2nd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

zero leaks. Whoever said that is clueless.

I would listen for a whine, mine is a 2004 and i am getting my harmonic balance replaced under a bulletin.

I think 2004 3.6 and up and your are fine. I love mine

TotalEclipse31 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS VTXi

If you get a 3.2 it may end up with a Crankshaft Position Sensor problem but its an easy innexpensive fix. No reason to NOT buy the car. You will be happy with a CTS. Like FLO said, don't hurt yourself starring at your own car.

mikes2nd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Oh and the reverse panel leak. Minor stuff.

glassjaw is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks,

this website kind of concerned me.....
    townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0da8d5

I'll still keep the CTS in mind.

ctsdds is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS 2005

I've had my '05 for almost 4 years and have had no fluid issues, either. Only routine maintenance for the first 38,000 miles. My wife drives it more than I do, but I have heard some rear-end noise when I drive it. She, of course, never noticed it - not with the Bose radio and the cell phone! I will have the local dealer evaluate it soon. Overall, my wife loves the car and I've been very happy and would buy another but this one should last at least another 4-5 years. I wish I could afford the new VVVVVV!!!! Wow!!!

Cadillacfilter1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac Cts

The 03's also got a probleme with *service stability service* which has to do with steering wheel position sensor . Cost to fix around $350-400

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.