Just got a Volant - I think a screw hole is missing?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Just got a Volant - I think a screw hole is missing? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I just received my Volant air box. I am getting ready to install it. I cannot find where the bracket ...
    dannoaz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6 Auto FE4

Just got a Volant - I think a screw hole is missing?

I just received my Volant air box. I am getting ready to install it. I cannot find where the bracket attaches to the air box. I found great instructions on Reed's faq. See that attached image that shows a screw hole. Mine does not have that screw hole. Should I have to drill one?

Their product is just as crappy as some of the posts said. A joke of an instruction sheet! I also think it is weird that they have a gasket to go between the stock air mass air flow sensor and their box but no gasket to go from their air filter flange to the box. It seems like some dirty air will leak between the box and their air filter flange, so I am making my own gasket.

I think it will all work out fine in the end, just more work than it should be.

Is the screw hole supposed to be there?

Dan
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

AmericanMuscle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Just got a Volant - I think a screw hole is missing?

Sorry to hear your complaint. I was thinking of getting a Volant as well, but now not so sure. If I may ask, where did you purchase the Volant from (i.e. on line or elsewhere)?

Does anyone know if another brand of conical air filter fits the Volant box, AEM for instance?

aideneverett is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 3.6L ~Black Mamba~

I am getting my Volant CAI system in today.. Yes, as per the instructions, there should be a bracket and screw to put there and that attaches with a stock radiator bolt to the radiator core support. Here is the link that I found for the 2004 CTS:

http://www.volant.com/3dkls/iddb/Tfi...y/15636C_1.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanMuscle View Post
    Sorry to hear your complaint. I was thinking of getting a Volant as well, but now not so sure. If I may ask, where did you purchase the Volant from (i.e. on line or elsewhere)?

Does anyone know if another brand of conical air filter fits the Volant box, AEM for instance?
    I bought if online from autoanything, which is listed on their website. My friend had purchased from them before and recommended them. They did me good.

I am disappointed with Volant. I respect the K&N name, but I don't like their execution for our cars. Their box is open. I like a closed box design, like Volant. In the end I will be able to make the Volant work. I will clean things up some and make a gasket for between the box and the filter flange. I will also put some (one-sided sticky) foam between the box and the lid, although that doesn't seem as critical.

The Volant website gives the filter specs on their filter #5132: Style: Conical, Flange: 5.00, Base: 6.50, Top: 4.75, Height: 5.00
    I checked the one that came with the whole unit. It matches that sizing. The most critical dimension is the flange diameter. The filter is 5.00 on the inside of the flange. The plastic is more like 5 1/8" (filter fits nicely). I looked at the K&N website, under universal filters, round tapered (cone filter). It looks like K&N has several filters that might work:

RU-5163 (slightly shorter)
    RU-5147 (slightly taller)
    RU-5109 (height ok, bigger top diameter)

Each one would have to be studied to see if it would fit, but at the very least the RU-5163 should fit. That makes me feel good, because I can always get a replacement from K&N. I have not checked into other brands. After I get it in (this weekend?), I will look into it further and order a replacement. I like to have a second one that I can swap immediately. That way, I can take my time washing, drying, and oiling the used one, and be able to drive right away. Maybe some brands don't have you oil them? A long time ago I used K&N on a bike. Its procedure called for clean, dry, and oil.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by aideneverett View Post
    I am getting my Volant CAI system in today.. Yes, as per the instructions, there should be a bracket and screw to put there and that attaches with a stock radiator bolt to the radiator core support. Here is the link that I found for the 2004 CTS:

http://www.volant.com/3dkls/iddb/Tfi...y/15636C_1.pdf
    Thanks for the response.

I do have the bracket and the screw. Reed's website instructions seem clear on the install procedure. It's just that they won't attach to the Volant box, unless I drill a hole in it. Then I will have to get a washer and nut for the inside (have in stock). I have no problem with drilling the hole, it's just that it seems like I shouldn't have to. Reed's instructions make no mention of having to drill the hole. I am mostly wondering if Volant missed this on my box.

At this point, it may be irrelevant. I left a message with them on Monday. They haven't called back yet. It will probably be harder to return it for a good one than the drilling.

BTW, let's get this clear (hear me Volant!!): A parts list is NOT "instructions". Thanks (sarcastically) for the great "instructions". You guys could have made some effort.

Dannoaz, thanks for the update. I also looked at AutoAnything.com and am contemplating ordering a Volant CAI box for my 3.6. With respect to non-oil filters, did Volant make any comment that they would be making a version of the Powercore filter to fit that box? I researched the Powercore and would really prefer it over the Pro 5. Also, I know AEM makes their Drylfow conical filters very close in size to the Volant. Do you know if they have the dimensions to fit?

AmericanMuscle, I haven't talked to Volant about the Powercore. I didn't know that it existed until you just brought it up. I looked at the website. It seems like an interesting filter. They don't seem to list one for our cars, but somebody would have to call them to be sure.

I checked the AEM website. Their stuff looks interesting (great actually, as long as their data is honest). I love the idea of not having to oil. At this point, I would feel more comfortable about their products than Volant's. From the size listing they have, I can't tell if any would replace the Volant. I think one of us would have to talk to them. I might find some time to do that?

I finally got a hold of somebody at Volant today. He said there should be a hole and threaded insert in the side of the box, as the picture shows. I asked him if he advises me to just drill a hole in the side and use a nut on the inside. He said that would be easier than exchanging it. I agree that it would be easier. I get the feeling that they have poor customer service (hey, they didn't even call me back from Monday yet). It seems best for me to drill. I don't know what the difference is anyways, as I plan on drilling to put my own bracket on the backside.

Let me know if you need any other info.

Dan

mattsworld is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

So the CS guy just told you to drill the hole yourself? That's pretty horrible CS if you ask me, I'm pretty sure if anything happend they would void warranty on the coi. I would complain all the way up, this thing isn't a $50 dollar part. Granted drilling your own hole would be the easiest route to take, I still would have to speak with someone in charge.

I've been contemplating getting the volant cai, but I just can't justify the 300 bucks right now. I went the cheap route and just got a k&n replacement filter to tide me over until I make up my mind.

Mattsworld,

He told me that if I ruined it, then he would cover it under warranty, although I don't have that in writing. I am a little worried that I can't trust them. But, I am pretty sure that I can do it without wrecking the air box. Their response gives you an idea what they think of the customer. I'm frustrated, but will get past all of this.

BTW, the missing hole doesn't upset me as much as the lack of a seal between the filter adapter and the box. The surface on the filter adapter that contacts the inside of the box is not very flat. In my opinion, it needs a gasket to seal well. It will take me more time to find some foam and make the gasket than drill the missing hole.

Dan

AmericanMuscle,

I just called AEM and talked to Travis. Their replacement filter is 21-207DK. He gave me the following specs: 5" Inlet, 5" filter media, 1.5" flange length, 6 1/8" base diameter, and 5 1/8" top diameter. They are not producing it yet, but it should be available in December 2008, only 2 months from now. The list price is $52.27. Their website also lists a cleaning kit for these oilless filters and decent instructions. This looks nice. I think this might end up being my replacement filter, but have to do more research. Does anyone have experience with them?

Dan

Dannoaz,

Thanks for your follow up! That is great news. I plan on ordering the Volant in December and checking on the AEM filter availability and possibly ordering at the same time. My two concerns on the Volant filter are, 1) No where on the net can you find any statistics or performance facts regarding the Volant Pro- 5 filter performance, and 2) The Pro- 5 still needs to be oiled.

I'm going with the AEM right from the start. I mad a note of the part number. Thanks for sharing the results of your research.

In the mean time, if you complete the install of your Volant CAI, please share with the forum your impressions of performance gain, sound, etc. from stock.

OK, this is strange. I found the AEM filter number you referenced on line and available now to order. What gives?

AmericanMuscle,

Strange that it is available on the web. Lies, all lies. If you pick on it at AEM's website, it says "COMING SOON!", but other filters don't have that note. At least I can see that people sell that brand.

I will post about my install and sound/performance opinion.

Dan

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.