Power train:driveline:differential unit
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Power train:driveline:differential unit in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I have a used 2006 CTS with the performance package. When I turn to the right hard I hear and ...
    Orty is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Power train:driveline:differential unit

I have a used 2006 CTS with the performance package. When I turn to the right hard I hear and feel a rubbing noise or grinding noise from the rear. Not as much turning left. Any ideas what it could be? Dealer drained the fluid and re-filled and added a "treatment". After 500 miles doing the same thing.

Orty

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD Performance Sedan

Re: Power train:driveline:differential unit

If it was ok after the added the new lube and additive and the condition returned then GM fluid is inferior (but they will never admit that), its just a average product with a high price tag IMO. Your car is a prime example, it only lasted 500 miles and its properties are gone.

When they put a new axle in my 2005 under warranty back in 2005 at 2000 miles they installed the GM synthetic fluid and limited slip additive. I can recall the SM lecturing me about the GM lube but within 300 miles the rear end was making clunk noises. When I called him back and told him this he eluded that he would change it again and that would fix it. Heck with that, I drained out the GM stuff and added Amsoil Synthetic Severe Gear 75W-90 gear lube with the Amsoil additive and the noise went away and has never come back since. I have not changed the fluid since, over 28,000 miles and I never will most likely unless the noise comes back.

The noise is the clutches in the limited slip grabbing and releasing when you turn corners. This condition has always affected LSD.

CTSV_510 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)

Amsoil Severe Gear Oil 75W-90 + Amsoil Slip Lock additive

http://www.amsoil.com/a/synthetic-gear-oil

C66 Racing is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V (sold)

The guys on the Corvette Forums have similar problems with diff chatter. The AMSOIL Severe Gear Extreme Pressure Synthetic 75w90 seems to work well quieting the diff down.

Some guys need a bottle of the AMSOIL Slip-Lock Differential Additive but I don't run this in my 06 CTS-V or my 02 Z06. Note that the Severe Gear diff fluid does already have limited slip additive in it. However, most C6 Corvette's do need the extra bottle to quiet the diff.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Have any V or Z06 owners ever experienced problems in the cold with this fluid?

LSCTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 SLK55 AMG / 04 CTS-V

Any one know how many quarts it takes to fill up the rear end? Is there a write up anywhere on how to change the oil? I assume the rear cover has to come off and then replace the gasket and refill but just checking.

Spyke is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6L VVT

Quote Originally Posted by LSCTS View Post
    Any one know how many quarts it takes to fill up the rear end? Is there a write up anywhere on how to change the oil? I assume the rear cover has to come off and then replace the gasket and refill but just checking.
    nope! Check in your owner's manual. There's a drain plug and a fill plug! The drain plug is at the bottom of the rear end and the fill plug is at 3/4 of the top approx.

AmericanMuscle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Spyke is right. In addition, check out Cadillac FAQ on this forum to see detailed instructions (including pics) on how to change the rear diff fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by concorso View Post
    Have any V or Z06 owners ever experienced problems in the cold with this fluid?
    Can't say for certain that none have, but none have ever reported it to me, nor do I recall reading about anyone having problems. I have it in my 06 CTS-V daily driver and while it doesn't get really cold here in the Puget Sound it has been in the 30s several times already this year - no problems noted on mine.

As for the capacity - both CTS and CTS-V diffs take about 1.4 quarts. Procedure is pretty easy.
    - Lift car the car and ensure it is nearly level
    - Open fill plug (I think it is a 10mm hex head plug). I suggest the fill plug first so that if you have problems your fluid is still in the car.
    - Open drain plug and drain fluid.
    - Replace drain plug.
    - Pump in fluid into the fill hole until it comes out (which is why level is important).
    - Replace fill plug.
    - Lower car and drive it in several figure 8s to work the new fluid into the limited slip clutch plates

f5world is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by Orty View Post
    I have a used 2006 CTS with the performance package. When I turn to the right hard I hear and feel a rubbing noise or grinding noise from the rear. Not as much turning left. Any ideas what it could be? Dealer drained the fluid and re-filled and added a "treatment". After 500 miles doing the same thing.

Orty
    I have a similar problem, it is the left side. What do you mean the dealer drained the fluid?

Quote Originally Posted by f5world View Post
    I have a similar problem, it is the left side. What do you mean the dealer drained the fluid?
    For the Corvette C6, GM has a TSB out to drain and refill with new fluid. This doesn't seem to help much. I suspect that their is also a TSB for the CTS diff as well, but I haven't checked.

denniscts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

Well I had the same problem but it turned out I need a wheel bearing replaced. had nothing to do with the rear end.

But that was my car yours may be different.

replaced rear driver side may 07....replaced rear passenger side august 08

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.