headlamp questions, HID upgrade
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, headlamp questions, HID upgrade in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; After much time and thought I have some questions on headlights. My car does not have HID lights. if it ...
    jakhammer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS 3.6l

headlamp questions, HID upgrade

After much time and thought I have some questions on headlights. My car does not have HID lights. if it does, they dont have the bluish glow like any of the others I have seen. Now if i wanted to upgrade my low beams to a HID setup, what would it take? I am clueless on everything HID. can I just swap some aftermarket lamps in or do I need supporting wiring to go with them? Any help is much appreciated.

Chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

Re: headlamp questions, HID upgrade

Here's HID 101:

If you do not have HID headlamps you'll need a complete HID retrofit kit. This kit includes 2 HID lamps, 2 ballasts, and the associated wiring. The kit you'll need to replace the low beams will be 9006. These kits are plug-n-play and very easy to install. Generally a quality kit with both replacement bulbs can be had for $100 or less. If you can read instructions and plug a male into a female plug you can install them yourself. Stay away form Japanese and Chinese Ebay vendors unless you want to buy junk HIDs with NO WARRANTY.

HIDs are a great replacement for low beams. They aren't practical for high beam replacements because high beams are cycled on and off too frequently. Constantly turning HIDs on and off will shorten the life of the bulbs and can ruin your ballasts. HIDs also look great in foglights.

Temperature:

Pure white HIDs are in the 4000-5000k range, these will offer you the most USABLE and white light output. HIDs in the 6000k range have approximately 5% blue tint to them, and these are the highest PRACTICAL temp lights because usable light output is still very good in this range. HIDs in the 7000-8000k range will have a significant blue'ish coloring to them, but useful light output begins to fall off significantly. Anything over 9000k will begin to take on a purple coloring, and useful light output will SUFFER badly.

Where to buy? We have a vendor here that sells retrofit plug-n-play kits with good warranties.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/sharp-hid/

http://www.sharphid.com

But there are thousands of sellers online and on flee-bay. Buyer beware on Ebay. Hope that helps some.
    The above post is my 2 cents....nothing more.

Thanks for the help. I think I will be buying a 6k 35w kit for the low beams. I might pick up another for the fogs, but that will be later.

josney is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

go ahead and buy the kit for the fogs and do them at the same time, the bumper will be off anyway. Cause when you fire up the the new headlights and the fogs don't match....

gaugeguru is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS

Actually, most high end cars use halogens in the fogs even though the low beams are HID.

I read that Halogens are better suited for fogs with wet road conditions because of less glare.

It's too bad our fogs weren't like the STS fogs with a projector. There's something about a big rectangular fog light glowing a yellowish white that just doesn't look that good.

Then again, I think the 8000K installed in our fogs doesn't make things look all that better. It's pretty obvious the color is not from a projector, it's from a colored bulb or aftermarket HID kit in a cheap halogen reflector housing. Makes me think of a teenage rice rocket.

Coma is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS 2.8L

It actually looks sick when you put in 6,000K's in the top and bottom. I personally am not a fan of anything bluer.

Sammy Z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS 03

I agree with the 6k top and bottom and a white LED in the trainagle( shows blue ) all three have a nice look.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy Z View Post
    I agree with the 6k top and bottom and a white LED in the trainagle( shows blue ) all three have a nice look.
    very nice. I do think that is the way Im going to go. Thanks for the pic.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy Z View Post
    Those are a great match. Well done.

josney is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

the 6k in the low beam and the fogs and the led's is what i have in mine. the picture is not the greatest, but they match great and give the car a much better look.
    Attached Images

Acqua7 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac CTS 3.6

the ones in my sig is 8K around

Quote Originally Posted by Acqua7 View Post
    the ones in my sig is 8K around
    They have a great looking purple/blue color, but their light output looks weak. They don't appear to illuminate the ground directly in front of the car very well IMO. Put a set of 8-9k next to a set of 4-5k and the difference is significant.

Acqua7 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac CTS 3.6

Quote Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
    They have a great looking purple/blue color, but their light output looks weak. They don't appear to illuminate the ground directly in front of the car very well IMO. Put a set of 8-9k next to a set of 4-5k and the difference is significant.

yeah the picture would indicate that...but get in the car and its a different story, those lights, you can see everything no problem, nice and bright

Coma is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS 2.8L

Only when you start to get into the 10,000K and 12,000K temperatures do you see an obvious lack of illumination. 8,000K still has decent light output when compared to 4,300K or 6,000K. Any way you look at it though, they are all going to be brighter than halogen bulbs.

What the hell, might as well post it again...

Should have taken the flash off for this. Stupid camera phone! >.<

Quote Originally Posted by Acqua7 View Post
    yeah the picture would indicate that...but get in the car and its a different story, those lights, you can see everything no problem, nice and bright
    I certainly didn't mean to hate on your lights. They look great and (arguably) 8k are better suited for driving inside city limits where you have a lot of light interference and reflective street signs. Either way (as said above) they're a damn sight brighter then the factory lamps.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.