headlamp questions, HID upgrade - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, headlamp questions, HID upgrade in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Originally Posted by xocomaox Only when you start to get into the 10,000K and 12,000K temperatures do you see an ...
    concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Re: headlamp questions, HID upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by xocomaox View Post
    Only when you start to get into the 10,000K and 12,000K temperatures do you see an obvious lack of illumination. 8,000K still has decent light output when compared to 4,300K or 6,000K. Any way you look at it though, they are all going to be brighter than halogen bulbs.

What the hell, might as well post it again...

Should have taken the flash off for this. Stupid camera phone! >.<
    This is very arguable. Even 8k will drop below 2000 lumens after its used for a 100hours or so, whereas a 4300k will still be around 3000. Not only that, a bluer light needs to be brighter then an equivalent whiter bulb, simply because your eye recognizes yellow-white better then any other color. Enables you to see more, even tho the lumens may be the same...

Coma is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS 2.8L

I'm just going by what I've seen, real world. You can argue about the science of it all you want.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by xocomaox View Post
    I'm just going by what I've seen, real world. You can argue about the science of it all you want.
    Except you can't argue with science... Thats like saying a 40 gal drum of oil is a large as a 50 gal drum of oil, simply because you believe it to be so! Light meters dont lie.

I can understand the attraction, it looks cooler. But IVe been doing HIDS for 10-12 years now. Ive proven this idea many many times to friends, at least 4 times I can think of, off-hand. I know with the CTS it would be hard to compare 2 different light outputs at once, since its alot of trouble to get the bumper off. But if you ever get the chance to compare them side by side, youll see exactly what I mean.

Although I don't agree with your analogy, I can see what you're saying.

TotalEclipse31 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS VTXi

I think to some people the color is more important the usable light output.

Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by TotalEclipse31 View Post
    I think to some people the color is more important the usable light output.
    This is absolutely true. This is why I don't recommend people buy over 6k when retrofitting HIDs. JMHO
    The above post is my 2 cents....nothing more.

The problem I see with 8K's are the fact that they don't match white LEDs. And white LED's are the shit!

YuraB is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I got 6,000k on my car and the light output is pretty damn blue.
    If you want the oem baby blue color get 4300k. The light output is actually yellowish white, but it looks blue. I will explain: HID lights produce a way higher range of spectrum of light then halogens. So when they are shined through curvy lenses in the low beam housing, when you are looking at the sides they look blue. The only time they look yellow/white is when you are directly in front of them. I don’t know any cars that actually produce their beams at 6000k stock, all have 4300k because of the significantly higher lumins. Get 4300k in your lows, and 6000k in your fogs and highs.

gaugeguru is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS

That is a good point.

Don't go overboard with the color. It will make your car look a teenage aftermarket disaster.

No high-end car would ever have 8000k. It simply doesn't make sense. It is fatiguing on the eyes and produces too much glare.

The whole obsession with color comes from the fact that the light from high-end cars with projectors shows color from an angle.

jakhammer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS 3.6l

lots of good info in here. thanks for all the input. i may do 5k. I will for sure be doing higher than 4300 though. I want white light, i hate yellowish light, it annoys me. I have Silverstars in my Lightning for heads and fogs and I want something around that color. im guessing 5k will be close on the yellow side and 6k will be close on the blue side. Any thoughts?

Chris

gaugeguru is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS

I have 5000K installed on mine. It's a lot bluer than you would expect when seen through the projectors.

I'm thinking of going 4300K now that one of mine burned out, but I'm not sure.

Right now, I have halogen in one light and HID in the other. I get a lot of stares!

The halogen light is actually really good. It has good range and lights things up nice.

The big difference with HID is the road signs, reflective coatings on trucks / busses and the paint markings on the road. It doesn't matter how far the sign, it glows with this cool purplish reflection. When I turn my lights off, and only the halogen lights from the cars around me are on... The signs are barely readable.

I've seen 8000k and 10,000K HID, and I don't mean to hate, but it looks obnoxious to me. My eyes get irritated, even when not staring directly at the light.

5000K matches the LED corner lights well.

I've taken the projector out of an STS fog and will attempt to retrofit it into the CTS housing. If it works, I will probably go with 4300K. Even the halogen light appears slightly purple through these projectors

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.