Cts third brake light
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Cts third brake light in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Looking for a 2003 Cadillac Cts Brake light - working or not. mine is out for the third time and ...
    denniscts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

Cts third brake light

Looking for a 2003 Cadillac Cts Brake light - working or not. mine is out for the third time and tired of spending money on E-bay for used ones that just burn out after time. I want to use it to make an LED brake light cheaper than those e-bay thieves. Let me know if anybody has one. Maybe after I perfect it I can post it here for other people to fix theres much cheaper.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

kdstrum is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS 3.6L DI FE2 RWD

Re: Cts third brake light

yes please let me know how to repair this item

mprest99 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS

I had mine go out too. I was able to take the red lens off... after carefully prying ... take your time. I bought some 6 inch led lights and the transformer that works them... I installed them and resealed the lens. I have had no problems yet... So.. it can be done...

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Ive thought about doing a led retrofit to the CHMSL (i guess you can still call it that?)... But I actually like the neon tube, it has a smooth red glow to it that I like. Looks like this lense comes apart easier then the brakes lights as well.

Kael, intrigued at all?

jgabrielson is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Yea, Its a neon tube alright and you cant use LED's in its palce b/c of the voltage. I had mine go out a few months ago and bought an "LED" replacement kit online. Total waste of money! The best thing to do is just fork it up and buy another one used, I did and been running great since then. While your at it, go ahead and replace the other brake lights too, if they give way, your Traction control system will come on and not work until you do, its a good $7 dollar investment while your replacing the center light.

Kael is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option

Hmm I knew it was a neon tube but I never really gave thought to it.
    the thing should last for a long time.

do we have any pics of the thing?

if you want you can go the LED route and put them in a plastic sleeve that is translucent (fogy appearing) to get the neon affect.
    or you can use some electro luminescent products. although they are usually not very bright.

hmm dennis, you say you have had other burn out. care to send me one of the old ones so i can muck with it?
    there shouldn't be a problem with burning out the LED's if the right resistor is ran to them. just tape off the old neon transformer and run a power feed off of one of the brake ligths. no real biggie.

Quote Originally Posted by concorso View Post
    Ive thought about doing a led retrofit to the CHMSL (i guess you can still call it that?)... But I actually like the neon tube, it has a smooth red glow to it that I like. Looks like this lense comes apart easier then the brakes lights as well.

Kael, intrigued at all?

Kael is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option

wow. two min of research and I turned up this:

*Special note March 2008* The CTS 3rd brake light cannot be rebuilt. It is a neon lamp vs. LED lamp. Either the internal glass tube (s) fails, or the amplifier fails. The amplifier has been sealed in a way it is impossible to repair.

In addition: There is currently a 6 month national back order for replacement CTS lamps thru the Cadillac dealer network. Also, production for the CTS lamp has ended in the US. This tooling is currently being shipped overseas for production there.

so Umm wow.. I totally have to generate something up for you guys.

hey wow.. they look like this:

denniscts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I know they are neon I know what to hook up I just need an extra broken third brake light so i can experiment with before I do it to mine so I make sure everything works out and I don't have broken one i can't re-install .

azfara is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

I bought my car used and this light was not working. Dealer gave me $400 price tag for it. I bought a water proof red led strip from ebay $12 and open the lamp threw out the neon light and inserted this strip and attached the connections. It is bright and nice. The advice I will give is that when you open the light be careful because the front red part can be cracked easily. I did that with mine I think If I cut open the back part that would have been much better. You can glue that part and since it is on the back side it will not be visible. Any way I am still using this led light and it is working fine. almost 1 and half year now. You can buy the strip from ebay and look for the auto strip may be 30 cm. Measure the light first.

Sammy Z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS 03

I replaced mine with LEDs as well. I used a Dremel tool and opened it from the back the sealed it with Silicon Sealer when I was done. I did it with White LEDs and the result was a Pink Brake light :-( so I did it again with Red LEDs. Works great.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.