Glovebox Handle is broken.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Glovebox Handle is broken. in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hello. The other day I pulled on the handle to my glovebox and the handle broke off in my hand, ...
    Terran is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac CTS - White Diamond

Glovebox Handle is broken.

Hello. The other day I pulled on the handle to my glovebox and the handle broke off in my hand, into 3-4 different pieces. It broke before it engaged the latch, so the door never opened (and no, it was not locked). It's as if the plastic went brittle and shattered. Furthermore, what little bit is left on the glovebox door no longer engages the switch at all to open the door...it just hangs loosely. Needless to say, the glovebox door is stuck shut.

Any idea on whether just a handle would be required, or if an entire new glovebox door is needed? Also, as "easy" as this repair/replace sounds, I'd prefer DIY....not spending oodles of cash on parts and labor at the dealership.

I do have access to a service manual, so getting a chance to look at that should help me determine how easy it would truly be. But I'm curious to know if any of you have tips or full-blown experience on glovebox specifics, namely, how to fix the handle?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Glovebox Handle is broken.

Well, the service manual mentions nothing about handle repair or replacement, that I could find. All it shows is removal and installation of the glovebox door. Not exactly the insight I was hoping for.

I'll continue to dig.

t21931 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I had the exact same thing happen to me. The handle just shattered in my hand when I tried to open the glove box.

The whole glove box was replaced - I brought back the broken handle parts to the dealer so that they could re-use the lock (not sure if they did or not - the key works)

I just got the used CTS and the replacement was covered by the dealer. Not sure what it would have cost to fix, the invoice didn't show any prices since it was comped by the dealer.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the information! I'm well out of warranty, so I imagine they'd sting me for parts and labor.

I finally was able to get the door open (with a little prying on the switch). It looks like the handle and switch mechanism is held in place by 2 screws on the inside of the door. I plan on removing those screws and trying to take it all out. I've also ordered a new handle on www.gmpartsdirect.com so that I can replace it myself.

So...once that comes in, I'll fill you in on the progress of fixing it. Possibly including a How-To with pictures, etc.

Stay tuned....

As promised, here's an update of the progress. The handle came in today, and I've already gotten it fixed. It was very quick and very easy. I've put together a write-up with pictures, so you can see how to do it.

Enjoy this How-To !

roblinds is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS.

what is the part number of just the handle? im getting a price of 129.00??? Thanks. PS mine shattered too....

I'm not seeing a part number.

Just go through the Catalog (http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/catalog/). Put your Year/Make/Model in and then go through the categories: Instrument Panel -> Glove Box -> Handle -> Color. I'm still seeing $27.26 for the part.

I hope that helps!

Kingoftypos is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

Ummmmmm wow I am totally speechless.

I can't beleive an old thread wasn't only answered in a timely manor, but by the OP. Just wow

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post
    Ummmmmm wow I am totally speechless.

I can't beleive an old thread wasn't only answered in a timely manor, but by the OP. Just wow
    That's the magic of 'instant email' subscriptions to threads.

Red Dwarf is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Terran View Post
    As promised, here's an update of the progress. The handle came in today, and I've already gotten it fixed. It was very quick and very easy. I've put together a write-up with pictures, so you can see how to do it.

Enjoy this How-To !
    Thanks for taking the time to write it up. Will certaintly keep for future reference.

You bet! Glad to help.

Everitte is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS

I couldn't find the color I needed (Neutral) on line so I got one from the dealership. $54.12. Part# 25736545. Hope you have better luck. Thanks so much for the "How to" directions and photos.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

I sell that part number for $35 to forum members (plus $5 for ground shipping)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Sandy-STS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS

Thank you for the informaton. I am trying to local this part but gmpartsdirect only show black/gray. I have tan interior. Does anyone else know where i can get this part?

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

:raiseshand:

send me your VIN
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.