Cts engine swap 3.2 to v8 from ctsv?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dannoaz
  • 1 Post By J W
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Cts engine swap 3.2 to v8 from ctsv? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Would this work and what should i expect to shell out for labor and how complicated would this be. I ...
    robertt931 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Cts engine swap 3.2 to v8 from ctsv?

Would this work and what should i expect to shell out for labor and how complicated would this be. I have a friend who wrecked his cts v and the engine is still in good condition i am thinking of buying th e engine and tranny. I have an 03 with sport package and he has an 04 cts v. Also can some one tell me where i can find some ww clear/smoke lenses and what the ww stands for?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Coma is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS 2.8L

Re: Cts engine swap 3.2 to v8 from ctsv?

This has been asked. Good Luck.

ww stands for WildWhl who is a member of these forums and used to make clear sidemarkers and fogs until YourGMSolutions took over.

dannoaz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6 Auto FE4

robertt931,

I've done some pretty crazy things with GM cars in the past. This, however, is beyond what I would bite off. I'm not saying that this cannot be done. It's just that it would be a heck of a lot of study and work. If you cannot tell me the firing order of a small block Chevy off the top of your head, forget it. Save your own life. Sell the 03 and buy a CTS-V. Trust me, you would be ahead. No insult intended, brother, just advice.

Dan
    Argent1 likes this.

yomommas is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS, '79 Coupe DeVille, '78 Sedan De Ville, '77 Firebird

easily (though expensively) done if you've got a v that you can completely gut out (engine, tranny, ecu, rear end, EVERYTHING related to moving the vehicle). you're gonna need more than engine/ tranny. but i'm sure if you have the ability to complete gut a 2004 V, you'll be able to swap it all into your '03. it will be expensive and a lot of work, but very doable. there are better engine choices (if you seriously wanna new motor and depending on how much he wants for the motor).

Kael is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option

it would be easier to swap the parts from your cts to fix the cts-v.

sure its doable but the labor involved would be nuts.

lets see.. engine, tranny, rear, entire rear suspension, and front suspension, hubs, bearings, brakes, any linkages, wiring harness, sensors, computer, dash, drill a hole in the firewall to put the clutch in....
    and thats just off the top of my head.

yeah.. just fix the V with your parts.

urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

it would be so much work. it would be better to part his car and ebay it. T56s are hard to find and that LS6 should fetch 5-something

tamss13 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

I been looking for this answer so I hope someone will reply. Reading this it would be a huge undertaken to take a CTS and put CTS-V engine. So with a CTS can I put a different GM engine with the stock trans? Maybe the V8 that is in the 2004 Camaro? I have an old CTS with a blown engine and I want to make it my modify car instead of just getting rid of it.

BenzCTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

it would be SO much easier and cheaper to use your car as a parts car. Can a mod make the search button bigger?

A48WillyzGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    For starters, there was no 04 Camaro. So you can't have the engine from one lol.
    The engine would be way way too much power for the stock trans, driveshaft, and rear diff; if you could somehow manage to bolt it up.

The reasonable solution would be to swap the entire drivetrain from a car with a factory v8. The wheelbase is bound to be different, thus you'll need a custom (or possibly a factory CTS-V) driveshaft. This would be the easy part.

The nightmare would be the electrical system. Sure you could run a stand alone computer that will make the engine work, but you'll have no gauges and your stock cluster will be lit up like a Christmas tree. Who knows if your factory radio, climate control, or anything else will work without the other systems in place.

Then there's other factors suck as brakes and suspension that's not designed for the extra stress of the V8.

While this may seem like a lot of negatives, the swap is very doable, it's just going to take a lot of time, effort, and homework to make it work.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

^^^You going to post some photos of the Willeeeeze?

A48WillyzGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    I would love to, but I have it all taken apart now lol. It's goin through some major surgery. I'm stretching the frame, swapping in a 454, and setting up the suspension for some 2.5ton rockwells and 49" tires. I might have some old pics laying around somewhere, I'll see if I can dig them out.

kbillings is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 cts 3.6

Bite the bullet and buy a new cts-v coupe ... do the mods you like on it, and make the monthly payments. It would be fast and relatively cheap. Heck I stuff more than a payment like that down panties at the local tittie bar every month. The fun to be had is well worth it. You'll get a lot more fun , and more tittie (use your imagination) in that car than you will ever see at the bar anyhow. Live it, love it, and use your resorces. You can't take em with you. Sell the shelled out cts for whatever you can get and get it out of your worries.

J W
    J W is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS /CTS-V / Escalade

I say go for it, and to help you out here is the nightmare waiting for you.
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...treatment.html
    Argent1 likes this.

CTSM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 07' CTS 3.6L Lux \ V-Sways \StrutBrace\ R1 \ Volant\ Borla

Yes it can be done painlessly but that will involve swapping everything....EVERYTHING over except for anything that isn't electronics, suspension, engine and drivertrain related. So basically you might get away with keeping your armrest in your CTS (CTS-V guys actually consider that an upgrade from the stock CTS-V armrest seriously it's small to allow you to manouver the manual shifter easier ha!)

So as you can see this is no hot rod project, were you can swap a small block in upgrade a couple of things and you are good to go NO there are electronics involved too many to make anyone in his right mind bother with a swap versus selling his non V ride and buying a used V

If I would guess what would a professional charge for this job to be done right I would guess it would be $10000-$15000 easy

cabletech is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.2L M35 LtPt

Arise, arise from the dead post from 2008...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.