Valve Cover Gasket for 03 CTS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Valve Cover Gasket for 03 CTS in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; ...
    jgabrielson is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

Valve Cover Gasket for 03 CTS

Its looks like Iím leaking oil around my valve cover gaskets in my 03 CTS. I was wondering where I could get a set of gaskets so I can replace it? Iíve looked at all the major places like Napa and Advanced Auto parts with NO luck. Someone told me that I should look at the Catera (2001) b/c they had the same motor. Iím not sure about this. Also, how hard is it to do this job? Looks like Ill need a T30 tool to remove some of the bolts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

yomommas is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS, '79 Coupe DeVille, '78 Sedan De Ville, '77 Firebird

Re: Valve Cover Gasket for 03 CTS

33 views....no replies
    i swear there's places that specialize in fixing cadillacs.....hmmmm...let me think......
    CADILLAC DEALERSHIP

LastOneLeft is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS

lol yea... i ended up going to dealership and here the thread...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...il-leak-4.html

OK So after looking around I found that you can purchase the gaskets from GM for about $58, much cheaper than the Local Cadillac dealership was asking at $88 per each side. The trick is to go another GM dealership that doesnt have Cadillac. Apparently the 3.2l, made in Germany, was also put into some '02-03 Saturn Vues and the older Catera's. A different varaition of the motor was also put in some OLDs Alero's. All three motor types use the same gasket, asking for the Saturn or OLD's will decrease the part cost by $30. Ill post some pictures of the change soon once I get a crack at it. It helps to have a buddy at a GM shop for the info.

P/N 90511451

Josh
    Bluehaze07 and Bluehaze07 like this.

denniscts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Same thing happened to mine but was still under warranty, took it ot the dealer they put them on went home they were still leaking week later took it back they siad they had to order another set. Went back the next day they had the valve covers off, service guy takes me back to show me and I saw 2 gaskets that were identical. I said I'm no mechanic but aren't they supposed to be different because one has a hole where the oil spout goes in. He said yea they should be different. So much for bright mechanics at the dealership thats why it was still leaking. I got a complete detail of my car out of it for the trouble including my engine steam cleaned.

Ive started to remove the driver side valve cover. See pics enclosed. Pretty straight forward thus far, tonight ill take apart the intake so I can completely remove the covers.

I finally removed the drivers side. I noticed when I took the old valve cover gaskets off that side1 and side 2 were in reverse from the ones that I ordered. I'm not sure if it makes a difference since they are the same just in a backwards fashion. Anyways, Note that I had to unbolt the mainfold to get the cover off. I also noticed that there are some rubber gaskets around each nut on the gasket itself, so make sure that you get them, there small about the size of your thumbnail.

One Kick and One Kick like this.

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

i had that done to mine too under warrenty,
    where is the thermostat? i know its in there somewhere..i need mine done

I finally finished the project this am and what a difference. Much smoother idling, NO oil leaking and NO Smoke!!!!!! Overall it took me about 3 hours to complete, althought i did about 1 hour each night for 3 nights. Now Ive got to tackle my TCM issues ( P0700) which Im taking to the GM dealer to hook up to the TECH II.

Fultoncm is offline Cadillac Owners Member

JGabrielson, I am going to tackle this one myself on Saturday. Mines leaking on the drivers side. I got the cover gaskets and orings for the cover bolts. Anything else I need? And what needs to be removed, exept for unbolting the intake, from the drivers side to get the cover off? I also read that some breather needs cleaned out that causes this issue. Did you do that too?

Hey man,

Nope its pretty basic. The main thing is to get the power steering box and some of the cabling out of the way, bc the cover itself is hard to get out. I did have to take the mainfold completely off in order to get the covers off which totally suck. I didnt have to clean the breather but it wouldnt hurt since your working on the thing. It took me about 3 hours to get the job done. Saved me a pile of money to just do it myself. I just had the crankshaft position sensor go bad on me this and just purchased a replacement which ill work on doing tonight. You should plan on doing yours too if you havent already done so.

Well, I'm about to start and didn't get a cracnkshaft position sensor. Cadillac parts is closed now. I'll just have to hope it doesn't go on me. Thanks for posting this info. Hopefully this would be too hard. The only thing I'm worried about is needing other o-rings or gaskets.

Hey, did you mean camshaft position sensor? I don't see a crankshaft sensor listed in the parts sections of any online shops. But that freakin camshaft sensor is $140 at Autozone.

No, Crankshaft Position sensor. There two different things. Just picked it up at advanced auto parts, heres the link....
    http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...pe=762&PTSet=A
    It would really be worth getting it done. I was at a stop light Thursday morning going into work and the thing just died on me!!! I had to get it pushed over on the side of the road. Lucky for us 03 guys we have the OBD Reader b/c after trying to get it started for 20 minutes, it spat out the old P0335, or CPS.

Well, I completed the job and did not replace the crankshaft position sensor. It took me 4 hours, some extra time because I had to go pick up the silicon sealer. There was a pool of oil around the rear spark plug. Pretty serious leaking going on there!

My engine idles a lot better now too. I still smell a little something when the A/C and vents are open, but its probably still burning off old stuff. I don't get anymore smoke.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.