Parrot MK6100 Install: Bluetooth Handsfree and Music
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Parrot MK6100 Install: Bluetooth Handsfree and Music in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Well, here I am coming through again for you guise. I really wanted to get an mp3 player going, but ...
    JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Parrot MK6100 Install: Bluetooth Handsfree and Music

Well, here I am coming through again for you guise.

I really wanted to get an mp3 player going, but there is really a disappointing set of options. Heard nothing but bad about all the XM interfaces. And I was tired of all the beeping and wackiness with my Parrot CK3000. So I decided to upgrade to the MK6100, which includes Bluetooth A2DP (streaming stereo).

It sounds AWESOME! The first kit I bought, I was having problems with phone call sound quality. Alot of buzzing, popping, crackling... and I was getting occasional drop-out on the streaming music. So I called parrot, and they promptly sent me out a replacement. Problem solved. Parrot is truly a first-class operation.

How to install a Parrot MK6100 in a CTS with Bose radio.

Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Parrot MK6100 Install: Bluetooth Handsfree and Music

I did this on 2006 CTS Bose. The procedure should be similiar on a non-bose CTS, though the connectors will be different I think. Or at least some of the pinouts on the connectors. Then again, maybe not. If you want to check for yourself, these are the pinouts for the two ISO connectors on the Bose:

Step 1

Remove the HVAC bezels. You have to be careful, because you can pull the bezel off of the underlying plastic.

Use a putty knife as shown below, and just work it free until you get your fingers in there.

If it is really stuck, use a screwdriver between the bezel and the putty knife.

There is one connector for the Hazard button on the top bezel.

The bottom bezel is the same technique, but first you have to remove the faux ashtray, and there is a 8mm hex head screw to remove.

Unscrew it and then use pliers to get it out. If you drop it, it will fall down behind the console and you will never get it. Not a big loss, as I never bother to put it back in either of my CTSs. The clips hold the bezel on just fine.

After you pry the lower bezel off, there are two connectors. The one below for the lighter socket is a little tricky. Open the ashtray compartment, and first pry the black clip off in the direction indicated below. Then pry the grey connector off as indicated. Then close the ashtray compartment and snake the thing out. There is a clip holding the wire in place you will have to cut.

To remove the HVAC connector, first you have to remove the two grey retainers by prying all the little tabs out and pulling the retainer out. After that the blue connector just slides out.

Alternatively, you could leave both connectors in place, and just let the whole bezel hang in the driver footwell. It will probably get in your way later though.

Step 2

Remove the radio. There are four 10mm hex head screws holding the radio in place. Remove them and the radio will slide out. There are no clips.

Once you get the radio out, there are the two ISO connectors (brown for the audio, grey for the power) and a yellow/green/blue data connector. Disconnect those and the antenna.

Attached Images

Step 3

Switched power. We need to acquire an ignition sense 12v+ lead. The radio does not have one. The HVAC does. First we need to make a jumper. You will need a foot or so of wire, a splice connector, and a bullet (or spade) connector. Strip one end as shown, and then crimp on the bullet connector.

Next, we tap into the 12V ignition lead on the HVAC loom. CHECK WITH A MULTIMETER OR VOLTAGE TESTER TO SEE IF THIS IS INDEED 12V+!!!

All CTSs should be the same in theory. But car manufacturers like to change things at any given time, for no apparent reason.

On mine, it is the brown wire as shown on the connector below. Tap into this wire anywhere on the loom (I chose to do it further back as shown) using the wire tap and the jumper you just made. It would be a good idea to test the continuity between the bullet connector and the hvac connector to make sure your wire tap is connected correctly. This will save you aggravation later in the case that it is not.

Step 4

PLEASE NOTE: The below picture is of a CK3000 kit (which I originally had installed.) I replaced it with the MK6100, but I did not pictures of that kit. The connections you make to the car are all the same for CK3000, MK6100, or any other parrot kit for that matter. They only differ in the connections to the BlueBox. CK3000 has a small black connector that plugs into the blue box, with the control pad plugging into a pigtail on the audio harness. Then there is a separate white connector for the power. On the MK6100, the audio and power have been combined into a large black connector (which also has bare-ended line level outputs in addition to the speaker level ISO plugs) and the display screen has it's own small black connector. The wire colors and ISO plugs shown below are the same on both kits.

Prepare the Parrot kit. Below shows how all the connectors are plugged in. There is no need at this point to plug in the mike or display panel harness.

To get our switched power correctly, you need to cut the orange wire shown below between the grey female ISO connector, and the fuse holder.

Tape off the end from the ISO (shown by the green arrow) as it is not needed. Add a bullet connector (opposite gender of whatever you used on the jumper wire) to the orange wire coming from the fuse holder.

That leaves three bullet connectors (shown by the red arrows) that will not be used. These are for mute leads. The CTS radio does not have phone mute in. You can cut these off, wrap them up, or leave them hanging at your discretion.

I like things neat, so I wrapped everything up. This will also protect the wires a little from abrasion.

Step 5

Mounting the microphone and display panel. You have an option here. The display panel has built-in microphones which you can use. But there is also an optional external microphone you can use. Originally the MK6100 did not come with an external mic. You had to use the built-in display mics. But the quality on them is poor by Parrot's standards, so they started including the external. The sound of the built-in mics are pretty good, and echo cancellation works great with them, so you could just them, and save yourself the trouble of running the wires for the external. But the external sound quality (that your caller will hear) is better, and worth the extra 15 minutes of work in my opinion.

Here is where I mounted the display. Clean the surface below the gage cluster, use the two sided tape and stick the base on. Then run the wire down and behind the panel.

If you decide to use the external mic, you will need to mount it up high. I chose to mount the microphone up under the mirror. I used the tape-on bracket, but you could use the clip and mount up on the headliner near the windshield. Either way, tuck the wires up into the headliner and start running them towards the A-pillar.

Attached Images

Step 6

Running the wires. This is also at your discretion depending on where you mount things. I had to run the microphone wire. It really should be up by the headliner for optimal sound pickup. You could mount the mic on the dash, but I have tried this before, and it increases the likelihood of feedback on your caller's end.

First remove the A-pillar finisher. Pop off the little tab that says airbag. There is a philips head screw to remove. The finisher will then come off. There are no clips.

Run the wire down the A pillar, and tie it to the cable that is there.

Optional: Remove the driver door sill cover. There are four clips holding it. Pull up on the three, then pull the upper one towards you. When I installed the CK3000, I did this to make running the wires from the pillar to under the dash easier. When I installed the MK6100, I left this cover completely in place and worked around it.

Next remove the two screws holding the lower dash cover in place. There are two more screws if you want to completely remove it, but it is not necessary. The cover will hang down enough as shown to tuck the wires in.

Tuck the microphone wire and run it as shown. (ignore the other wire that is dangling there, it was from the old install)

Step 7

Making the connections. Get the parrot ISO cable. Plug the jumper for the switched power into the orange wire on the parrot cable. Plug the parrots ISO connectors into the two ISO connectors you earlier unplugged from the radio. Don't worry about getting them wrong. The tabs on the connectors make pretty much impossible to plug in the wrong ones. (Unless you break off the tabs.) All the ISO connectors are only going to plug in one way, and only into the proper places. Then plug in the correct microphone plug (if you are using the external mic, just leave the one coming from the display harness unplugged) and display harness into the blue box along with the large black ISO/power connector.

I tucked the bluebox under the carpet here. It's a good out of the way spot for it. There is just enough room in that corner of the hvac cavity to get the large black connector through.

Attached Images

Step 8

Replace the radio. Plug the two ISO connectors from the parrot into the back of the radio. Plug in the colored data connector. Now would be a good time to turn your car on (to the RUN position, it will not work in accessory due to the switched power coming from the HVAC) and make sure everything works. At this point the radio should play. The display screen should show the Parrot logo.

If you press one of the buttons on the remote, it should interrupt the audio from the radio, and the menu will come up. Pair your phone now and make a phone call to make sure you get sound from the speakers, and your caller can hear you. (I usually call my voicemail and leave a message, and then listen to it.) If that all works, turn off the ignition. After a few seconds, you should see the word goodbye on the screen. If you don't, you need to reverse the red and orange wires on the parrot harness. If you don't, some features might not work.

After you verify it works, you can put the radio back. There should be enough room to tuck the additional wires now present into the crevices. DONT FORGET THE ANTENNA, it is easy to overlook.

Here is a picture of the empty console, just for reference:

All that is left is to mount the remote. You can mount it just about anywhere; overhead, on the console, or the steering wheel. The include a base with 2-sided tape, and a strap that goes around the steering wheel. I decided to remove the strap, cut down the base, and screw it to the underside of the right steering wheel spoke.

Right out of the box, the volume level of the parrot should closely match the radio. You can adjust the volume using the knob on the button pad during a call, and also using the radio volume knob.

As for the streaming music, it sounds unbelievable on the Bose system. Since it is replacing the audio coming from the radio, you get to use all the equalization and DSP settings that you otherwise would not be able to use on a car the amps from the head unit. I found the best sound by having the parrot volume at about 80%, and not using any of the parrot's equalization settings, nor any from your phone/mp3 player. Some songs, for some reason, sound better if you put the radio in CD mode. The sound seems to be a little crisper. The bad part is then your cd player is working needlessly. But for most music, putting the radio in FM mode is fine. Perhaps XM mode would sound just like CD mode, only I don't have XM available (since they replaced my radio and didn't reprogram it correctly I guess.)

I have no info on pairing both a phone and a mp3 player, since I have both in one. But from what I hear, operation between the two is seamless. MP3 player pauses when a call comes in, and the parrot automatically switches to the phone.

And depending on your phone, you get all your phone's info through bluetooth object push. Signal strength and battery are shown on the idle screen, and going into the menu with the rotary dial on the remote brings up your contacts, call logs, voice-dial, etc.

GT!
    GT! is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Silver 2010 Sedan 3.6 AWD

Damn that looks nice. Very tempting. Do you know if this will work with an '03 Bose? The '03 Bose has no support for xm radio, does this make any difference?

-GT

I don't see why it wouldnt. The XM makes no difference. I only point that out because when the parrot blocks the sound from radio and sends it own sound, there is a difference in sound equalization in the amp depending on where you have the radio source set. When I switch from FM to CD on the radio, the amp tunes the sound slightly different. I dont know how it will tune the sound when the radio is set to XM because I cannot set my radio to XM right now.

Bear in mind, when the parrot sends streaming music to the amp, the radio has no idea this is happening. It is still outputting it's own audio, and knows not that that sound is going nowhere. But the amp equalization settings are made through the data connection between the radio and amp, so changing those settings from the radio still works.

Also of note: even when streaming music from the parrot, the radio MUST be turned on. If you turn off the radio, it sends a signal to the amp to shutdown. And that means no audio goes to the speaker, streaming music, or handsfree phone call.

GT!
    GT! is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Silver 2010 Sedan 3.6 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    I don't see why it wouldnt. The XM makes no difference. I only point that out because when the parrot blocks the sound from radio and sends it own sound, there is a difference in sound equalization in the amp depending on where you have the radio source set. When I switch from FM to CD on the radio, the amp tunes the sound slightly different. I dont know how it will tune the sound when the radio is set to XM because I cannot set my radio to XM right now.

Bear in mind, when the parrot sends streaming music to the amp, the radio has no idea this is happening. It is still outputting it's own audio, and knows not that that sound is going nowhere. But the amp equalization settings are made through the data connection between the radio and amp, so changing those settings from the radio still works.

Also of note: even when streaming music from the parrot, the radio MUST be turned on. If you turn off the radio, it sends a signal to the amp to shutdown. And that means no audio goes to the speaker, streaming music, or handsfree phone call.
    So the Parrot kit includes everything you need except for those few pieces to get a switched power connection ... no other harness or adapters need to be bought?

-GT

LS6TT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac CTS

Only if I could get my xm and ipod to function via this, it would be the saving grace to my problems

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.