CTS-V cluster installed in 06 sport.. it works!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, CTS-V cluster installed in 06 sport.. it works! in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I was really curious if a CTS-V cluster could be installed in a regular CTS and I got my answer ...
    stacykathryn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS Sport

CTS-V cluster installed in 06 sport.. it works!

I was really curious if a CTS-V cluster could be installed in a regular CTS and I got my answer today. We bought this 06 CTS Sport last year and although it had every option but Bose and Nav, we have been steadily changing that.

If you have the 18" wheel package (with the better grille, sport wheels, exhaust, spoiler, HIDs, limited slip, etc) you cannot get navigation because then there is no readout for the tire pressure monitoring system. We added navigation anyways, anticipating being able to recover the tire pressure readouts once a V cluster is installed.

Today I added the CTS-V cluster. Basically, there are a few issues that I am still figuring out but so far it's GREAT!! I had to add a ground and signal wire to my cluster connector for the DIC controls. There are also inputs for trans and oil temp that I don't have and I'm not sure what I am doing about them for now. The other issue is the steering wheel controls. I -think- what I am going to do, since I don't want the V wheel, is to use the 1 2 3 4 buttons and change their resistors to correspond to the values needed for the cluster DIC, and run their two wires to the cluster instead of the radio. I never use the steering wheel controls for anything but volume anyways, I always thought the programmable 1 2 3 4 buttons were dumb.

To test it out I hooked the CTS-V wheel's buttons TO the wires coming from the cluster that I added and I was able to scroll through the screens. Then when I was done playing I left the DIC screens where I wanted them (tire pressure on the left, speed and odo on the right) and then tucked the two wires under the dash for now until I get the controls figured out.

Issues:
    -Trans temp and oil temp are dead, as I figured.
    -When I put it in DRIVE, on the right DIC screen it shows "M5" next to the speed. What the heck?? And the tap shift function (which I never use) doesn't indicate what gear you are in anymore, like it does with the original cluster.
    -The tachometer -might- be off, but I'm not sure on that one. Does anyone know if a tach filter would fix that problem? (inline resistor or whatever it is)

I also swapped the cluster face/bezel so that I still have my chrome rings around the gauges, as you can see, rather than the matte finish silver that doesn't go with a non-V.

I'm curious if the G-force meter will work!!! I have Stabilitrack so I don't see why not, but I haven't really taken it for a spin yet so I'll keep you posted there.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ImAShakiraholic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Black '03 Cadillac CTS

Re: CTS-V cluster installed in 06 sport.. it works!

COOL!! Your the man! keep us updated this is a really SWEET mod.

yourgmsolutions is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by stacykathryn View Post
    I was really curious if a CTS-V cluster could be installed in a regular CTS and I got my answer today. We bought this 06 CTS Sport last year and although it had every option but Bose and Nav, we have been steadily changing that.

If you have the 18" wheel package (with the better grille, sport wheels, exhaust, spoiler, HIDs, limited slip, etc) you cannot get navigation because then there is no readout for the tire pressure monitoring system. We added navigation anyways, anticipating being able to recover the tire pressure readouts once a V cluster is installed.

Today I added the CTS-V cluster. Basically, there are a few issues that I am still figuring out but so far it's GREAT!! I had to add a ground and signal wire to my cluster connector for the DIC controls. There are also inputs for trans and oil temp that I don't have and I'm not sure what I am doing about them for now. The other issue is the steering wheel controls. I -think- what I am going to do, since I don't want the V wheel, is to use the 1 2 3 4 buttons and change their resistors to correspond to the values needed for the cluster DIC, and run their two wires to the cluster instead of the radio. I never use the steering wheel controls for anything but volume anyways, I always thought the programmable 1 2 3 4 buttons were dumb.

To test it out I hooked the CTS-V wheel's buttons TO the wires coming from the cluster that I added and I was able to scroll through the screens. Then when I was done playing I left the DIC screens where I wanted them (tire pressure on the left, speed and odo on the right) and then tucked the two wires under the dash for now until I get the controls figured out.

Issues:
    -Trans temp and oil temp are dead, as I figured.
    -When I put it in DRIVE, on the right DIC screen it shows "M5" next to the speed. What the heck?? And the tap shift function (which I never use) doesn't indicate what gear you are in anymore, like it does with the original cluster.
    -The tachometer -might- be off, but I'm not sure on that one. Does anyone know if a tach filter would fix that problem? (inline resistor or whatever it is)

I also swapped the cluster face/bezel so that I still have my chrome rings around the gauges, as you can see, rather than the matte finish silver that doesn't go with a non-V.

I'm curious if the G-force meter will work!!! I have Stabilitrack so I don't see why not, but I haven't really taken it for a spin yet so I'll keep you posted there.
    You may have more successes if You involve TECH2 into your project.
    1. recalibrating your new cluster for your CTS
    2. maybe BCM needs to be reconfigured as well
    3. then maybe new steering wheel functions will work
    4. & more
    those are just my thougths

Well, the mileage is going to need to be changed so once I'm happy with everything working, I'll pull the cluster and send it out to be corrected. As far as programming with the Tech 2, I have one and I tried messing around with settings but you need TIS to do any actual programming.

The steering wheel controls are wired different in the V's vs. reg CTS. On the regular CTS, the steering wheel controls go directly to the radio. On the V's, there are no radio controls on the wheel period, the cruise control is relocated from the stalk to the right-hand side of the wheel, and the DIC controls for the cluster are hard wired directly to the cluster. Surprisingly, nothing goes through the BCM(s).

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L / 09 CBR 600rr - Bazzaz tuned

so does the v wheel work better with the v cluster?
    if so, can you make a frankenstine wheel so you have the v wheel but with the woodgrain from the sport and then you could paint the silver black if that bothers you. ide leave it silver.
    awesome install so far, good luck , hope it all works out 4 you. i would love to have those options on my 03.

caddy1219 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Man that looks tight. Keep us updated on that

swervinD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04" Cadillac CTS

That looks sweet!
    Great Info!
    Thanks

CTSV_510 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)

Nice work man.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Interesting experiment.
    If I look over some schematics I might be able to tell you some stuff that you might be able to get, or not get.
    I think the oil and trans temps will be hard due to differences in communication and system architecture, not to mentoin the sensors themselves.

I am curious about a few of your remaining "bugs" and might be interested in doing more research but my time is pretty limited these days. If I get a chance I'll do some browsing through the manual and see if I can help with the remaining glitches.
    You are a brave soul for sure.

Well, found another issue already. Sport shift mode doesn't work, period! Apparently since the shift is wired to the cluster, when you tap up and down it tells the cluster that you are upshifting or downshifting, and the cluster sends a class 2 message to the PCM to command the trans to shift. I never use sport shift because its dumb... but I doubt that is fixable so it's more of a matter if I want everything to be functional or not.

The bottom line is... the V cluster is DEFINITELY doable: it works best in a V obviously, followed by a regular CTS with a manual trans, followed by an automatic with winter/sport mode (not sport shift), and followed by a sport shift setup like mine.

The other issues (oil temp and trans temp) are hardwired directly to the cluster from the sensors -I think- and could be wired in if you really wanted them.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Sport shift isn't dumb, its very useful in poor weather.

I would love this tho...Ive been wanting to install a NAV since I got it, but I need to retain the TPMS info on the DIC, for legal reasons.

If I can't get the sport shift to work with the V cluster, the wife wants it out... Arrghh
    We should've just got a 6 speed... or a V.

caddy1219 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Damn you need to figure out how to make it work or you did all that work for nothing.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

The issue with sport shift might not be fixable.

The V computer architecture uses a PCM that controls the engine and monitors some transmission functions.
    The regular CTS with auto uses a separate TCM in concert with the ECM.
    Also pre-'06 V used a different PCM.

All the stuff on the '05 and '04 V's was Class 2. Now they use GMLAN, the IPC may not have the ability to communicate with the other modules to make it work with the sport shift mode.
    I'd have to tear through some schematics to see what is going on, bump this early (or late tonight) and I'll see if I have time to check in the morning.

ImAShakiraholic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Black '03 Cadillac CTS

I've got a 5 speed 03... i don't think it will even work on that type of tranny...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.