Replacing speaker in doors
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Replacing speaker in doors in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Has anyone replaced the speakers in the doors of their CTS? If so how? Do i have to remove the ...
    steven-h is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS

Replacing speaker in doors

Has anyone replaced the speakers in the doors of their CTS? If so how? Do i have to remove the door panel or does the grill come off?

TIN

Steve

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

miscreant is offline GM Connection

Re: Replacing speaker in doors

Quote Originally Posted by steven-h
    Has anyone replaced the speakers in the doors of their CTS? If so how? Do i have to remove the door panel or does the grill come off?

TIN

Steve
    In both cases, the grills do NOT come off. You have to remove the door panels.

Front: On the door opening handle cover, there is a small "cutout" on the bottom toward the front - this is where you insert a tool and pry up until you hear it pop once. Then pull the door opening handle out and pry the rest of the cover off and over the handle. Next, just behind the door pull handle, there is an oval piece that you pry out, and behind it are two screws. Remove these screws. Next, starting at the bottom, pry the door panel up and it will begin to pop and then work it around until you have the panel completely pulled away from the door. Now push up and out to get it finally off the door.

The front speaker is affixed to a bracket and then to the door. In the non-bose, it's a 5.25" (5 1/4") speaker, in the bose is (reportedly) a 6.75" (6 3/4") speaker. But keep in mind that it is 2 ohm (so a 4ohm speaker will produce less volume), and in both applications it's equalized (crossed) to produce below 6000hz, so you will not get very good highs from the speaker.

The rear is removed the same, however, the speaker is screwed to the door panel, not the door. It is a 4 ohm speaker and full range.

See www.ctsowners.com
    2004 Cadillac CTS (**SOLD** ): http://www.ctsowners.com
    2004 Pontiac GTO: http://www.myyellowgto.com

jsw029 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I've been talking with my install guy about adding an amp and swapping out the door speakers (while keeping the factory headunit and controls intact).

He said that he would have to take the amplified signal from the factory system, run it through a converter (line level?) into the new amp, and then to the doors. He said there may be some sound quality issues because of the signal conversion.

He said that was the only way to keep the factory headunit/center console intact. Otherwise, the factory unit would be relocated to the trunk and a new headunit would have to go in the center console. Any opinions?

I wish I knew more about this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by jsw029
    I've been talking with my install guy about adding an amp and swapping out the door speakers (while keeping the factory headunit and controls intact).

He said that he would have to take the amplified signal from the factory system, run it through a converter (line level?) into the new amp, and then to the doors. He said there may be some sound quality issues because of the signal conversion.

He said that was the only way to keep the factory headunit/center console intact. Otherwise, the factory unit would be relocated to the trunk and a new headunit would have to go in the center console. Any opinions?

I wish I knew more about this stuff.
    You shouldn't lose any sound quality. The bose amp produces alot of distortion at volume, and the conversion through the LOC should actually improve at your new amp.

If you/he run into a problem, post or email here. I've got my hands deep into this right now. I've got almost all my panels back out, have already installed 8 more speakers, and am completing work on my trunk box for the 1300 watts of amps...

jsw029 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Good. Miscreant, I feel better knowing that you're directly involved in a similar project. It seems you have plenty of knowledge and experience that continues to be quite helpful to us neophytes.

Neophyte: noun
    1 : a new convert
    2 : novice
    3 : beginner

ctsvett is offline FAQ is your Friend
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

You can add a device that will convert the head unit outputs to line level amp inputs. They are made by a company specifically for the CTS so I am sure it will minimze any distortion and it matched for the correct head unit that you have. I think they are made by PAC....

the link is on the CTS-V FAQ:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com

Reed

Quote Originally Posted by mrbadss
    You can add a device that will convert the head unit outputs to line level amp inputs. They are made by a company specifically for the CTS so I am sure it will minimze any distortion and it matched for the correct head unit that you have. I think they are made by PAC....

the link is on the CTS-V FAQ:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com

Reed
    mrbadss, not to be a drag, but this is incorrect...

PAC, Metra, Soundgate, noone makes an LOC for the CTS. The CTS does not use the standard J1850 Data Bus protocol, which is one reason noone can use their DLC chips for the CTS. The CTS features a non-fading, fixed signal line out from the head unit to the amp. The headunit in the CTS does not control the volume or fading of this signal - the fading and volume control are controlled by the AMP by the Data Bus serial line. There is only a left and right (just one) signal from the Headunit. You cannot tap these signals or you will not have front-to-rear fading or volume control.

I've begged these companies to try, but because the cost involved in making a stand alone DLC chip specific to the CTS is very expensive, they are not concerned with it at this time...

goose is offline Cadillac Owners Member

i just finished a full system in a 2004 cts and i suggest if you want to keep the head unit then buy a audio control three.1 ,that is by far the best way to keep the signal quality. believe me . i am fixing to post pics right now.

barletta92 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by miscreant View Post
    You shouldn't lose any sound quality. The bose amp produces alot of distortion at volume, and the conversion through the LOC should actually improve at your new amp.

If you/he run into a problem, post or email here. I've got my hands deep into this right now. I've got almost all my panels back out, have already installed 8 more speakers, and am completing work on my trunk box for the 1300 watts of amps...
    where do you find what wire color is each speaker from the factory harness for when you tie in the in line converter?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.