cell phone
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, cell phone in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I dont have a CTS, but I am looking at getting a CTS-V when it arrives. I am curious about ...
    ctsvett is offline FAQ is your Friend
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

cell phone

I dont have a CTS, but I am looking at getting a CTS-V when it arrives. I am curious about a few things maybe the current CTS owners can answer:

How do you install your cell phone?
    Is there cell phone pre-wireing in the car for the microphone/speakers or any radio attachments (so it mutes your radio when you get a call)?
    Does the CTS have any of this?
    How/where have you mounted your phone cradles?
    Is there any integration into the steering wheel controls?
    WHo does the install?
    Is there a package that you have to get in order to get these features?

I know the car has Onstar, but that is crap. I dont want to pay for another service when I already have a perfectly good cell phone.

Thanks,

Reed

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darrelld is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: cell phone

Quote Originally Posted by mrbadss
    I dont have a CTS, but I am looking at getting a CTS-V when it arrives. I am curious about a few things maybe the current CTS owners can answer:

How do you install your cell phone?
    Is there cell phone pre-wireing in the car for the microphone/speakers or any radio attachments (so it mutes your radio when you get a call)?
    Does the CTS have any of this?
    How/where have you mounted your phone cradles?
    Is there any integration into the steering wheel controls?
    WHo does the install?
    Is there a package that you have to get in order to get these features?

I know the car has Onstar, but that is crap. I dont want to pay for another service when I already have a perfectly good cell phone.

Thanks,

Reed
    I don't know of any Cell phone prewiring on the CTS. OnStar is the only built in option and in the Dallas area the Personal Calling option is not available.

BUILDINGCTSAMG is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Yeah, you cant get any of this stuff built in unfortunatly, a car audio shop will hook you up with a car phone attachment and they are ok but dont have that nice intergrated look or style.

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

The CTS is designed to use OnStar personal calling. When OnStar phone functions are in use, the radio is muted and the radio speakers are used for the phone speaker. The number you are calling is displayed on the radio display. The steering wheel has a dedicated button to access OnStar personal calling and one of the 4 programmable buttons can be set to terminate a call.

Obviously, GM wants to integrate their own product into the car and hopes you'll want to renew the OnStar service after the 1st year.

I believe Ford is going the Bluetooth route, using your Bluetooth enabled phone to access speakerphone and dialing functions.

I was very dubious about OnStar, but I'm quite pleased with it now. The combination of basic features - vehicle locate, unlock, emergency services, remote diagnostics, etc. are a good offering. I hate using my cellphone while driving, so the hands-free Personal Calling for occasional use is good for me.

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition

Can anybody tell me how this Bluetooth thing works? Do you plug it in? Where?

The new Acura TL is Bluetooth compatible, and it sounds like everybody will be moving in a similar direction before too long. Kind of like XM & Sirius, everybody's gone one way or the other.

Bluetooth is short range (30') wireless. A couple links:

http://www.apple.com/bluetooth/

http://www.wired.com/news/wireless/0,1382,49090,00.html

darrelld is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis
    Can anybody tell me how this Bluetooth thing works? Do you plug it in? Where?

The new Acura TL is Bluetooth compatible, and it sounds like everybody will be moving in a similar direction before too long. Kind of like XM & Sirius, everybody's gone one way or the other.
    Harald Bluetooth was king of Denmark in the late 900s. He managed to unite Denmark and part of Norway into a single kingdom then introduced Christianity into Denmark. He left a large monument, the Jelling rune stone, in memory of his parents. He was killed in 986 during a battle with his son, Svend Forkbeard.

Choosing this name for the standard indicates how important companies from the Baltic region (nations including Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland) are to the communications industry, even if it says little about the way the technology works.

It provides agreement at the physical level -- Bluetooth is a radio-frequency standard.

It also provides agreement at the next level up, where products have to agree on when bits are sent, how many will be sent at a time and how the parties in a conversation can be sure that the message received is the same as the message sent.

Basically different types of systems should talk to each other if they comply with the Bluetooth standard.

Thanks for reminding me of that historic connection. Just a thought, is this worldwide standard named after a bad dental condition this king had?

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Bluetooth is really the way to go on this sort of platform. It is where it really shines and Cadillac sort of locks you in to the OnStar thing right now which works on the old Analog 800 Mhz AMPS network for all state compatibility (this is why the rates are the way they are, since it needs to be able to work anywhere). Ford borrowed a page from Cadillac for RESCU which arrived in the 2000 LS car, but quickly derailed the project due to lack of interest. Now they seem to be batting eyes with the bluetooth standard, which is being adopted by more and more cell phone manufacturers as you read this.

The security and safety features of OnStar are definitely cool though, and some other luxury vehicle Manufacturers like Audi and Acura seem to be taking on the system in their own vehicles telematics systems. (Of course Acuras corporate parent Honda, is a corporate partner of GM, and there are some other pilfered parts in Hondas vehicles).

Brett is offline Watching the Watchers

My LS has a bluetooth enabled Nav system....but hey guess what, very few providers have bluetooth phones. Right now just AT&T and their coverage sucks out here, so a cool feature goes wasted. The cell companies are gonna have to catch up to the cars on this one.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.