Help Me Pinpoint Problem? (Searched)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Help Me Pinpoint Problem? (Searched) in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hey guys, I have a 03' CTS and I've noticed shaking when I hit bumps or any road indentations... to ...
    TDotJDizzle is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Help Me Pinpoint Problem? (Searched)

Hey guys,

I have a 03' CTS and I've noticed shaking when I hit bumps or any road indentations... to the point I'm avoiding the tiniest potholes.

I searched, but all the replies seemed to be related to shaking during braking, or wheel alignment, whatever... I know it's not wheel related, because I have no problems whatsoever accelerating, braking, whatever... just only when i hit an uneven surface.

Any ideas on what it could be and what I may need to replace? Thanks in advance, guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cadillacfilter1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac Cts

Re: Help Me Pinpoint Problem? (Searched)

It could be your shocks.

Thanks,
    Nauman Khan.

Is it shaking when you are breaking or when its hitting the pothole?
    Explain Shaking when It hits the pole. Be more specific.

Thanks,
    Nauman Khan.

No shaking at all when braking. Only when I hit any kind of bump in the road. The car and the steering wheel shakes a lil bit.

Wheel Balancing probleme. Your tires needs to be balanced. Go to canadiantire or a cadillac dealership and tell them your tires needs to be balanced. It will cost you maximum $50/CAD. Hope this resolves your concern.

Thanks,
    Nauman Khan.

Thanks buddy... I'll def give this one a shot. 50 bucks sounds like it's worth a try, even if it doesn't work out at least i don't have to worry about my wheels

My pleasure. Keep me posted & Goodluck.

Thanks,
    Nauman Khan.

Well front end alignment and tire problems are nothing to be taken lightly for sure. Hitting potholes will often affect the alignment of the front end which is more than likely responsible for the vehicle pulling to the right. The shaking can be caused by a number of things. There are little weights on the rims of car wheels. These are to correct any imperfections in the manufacture of the tire. Kinda like how you have to balance a ceiling fan because each blade doesn't weigh exactly the same. It's possible that hitting the pothole may have knocked off one of your weights and now your wheel is out of balance. And I can't say strongly enough that you need to have ALL of your lugnuts. My suggestion is to go to a tire store IMMEDIATELY. Tell them what you've told us and I'm sure you can have your tires balanced and wheels re-aligned for a resonable price.

you need to check the pressure in the tires when there cold,or not have been drove for a while the pressure will read more if the air in them is hot,it will vary about 3-5 pounds,but you might want to have it checked just to see if it busted anything in the front end of it,if its pulling bad it may have knocked it out of alignment,but have it checked to be sure,its better to be safe than sorry,good luck hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Nauman Khan

Juniorverse is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

No, no, no! I have the same EXACT problem with my '03. I am too avoiding even cracks in the road because the right front wheel feels like its going to fall off when I hit a bump. I have had it to the dealer, had alignments, new tire, high-speed balance, rim checked for out-of-round, and nothing. Its not an "alignment" feeling problem, it's a "something is broke" feeling problem.

When I drive out of a parking lot at 1 mph, I can feel that all other wheels take the bump nice and solid, but the front passenger wheel feels like it's hanging on by a thread, it shakes and feels loose.

I'm no mechanic, but in laymans terms, it feels like whatever is holding the tire on the car is loose or broken.

If you get an answer, let me know, I am tired of driving around like an old lady avoiding microscopic cracks in the pavement to avoid that broken wheel feeling.....

Sammy Z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS 03

I had that problem. It's the rubber supports that hold the stabilizer bar. Remove a front tire and look at the rubber block that hold the bar, you will see that it's loose around the rubber. To test my theory, insert some wood shims in the spaces and test drive the car. If the problem is better, have the supports replaced.

Gilliganclown is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hey this is my first time on and its for this same problem and is why I got on this group. Hers my problem.
    Rides nice smooth but if it hit a bump in the road it feels like the front end of the car is going to fall off. I hae had the tires replaced the struts replaced and it still feel really hard hitting a bump. I just had the vehicle inspected for the state and he checked the ball joints and he said they are good. Th other mechanic thinks that maybe a softer Strut would work any thoughts who can I call. I have had it at the dealers several time s and no change.. thanks Gilliganclown

cadillacroadside is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

hitting a bump in the road and feeling a problem in the front end has NOTHING to do with your wheel balance, unless you are expiriencing a constant vibration at certain speeds do not waste your money, if the vehicle goes squirrelly over a bump you have a suspension component not is not up to par whether it be a loose tie rod end, a stabiler link issue or a strut problem needs to be correctly diagnosed. we have had strut issues on these vehicles when the strut appears to ok under visual inspection but it lost oscilating capability, i can guarnatee it has nothing to do with your wheel balance

Juniorverse is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

Another thought...

Maybe this will help diagnose my "broken" front passenger wheel problem.

I was backing out of my driveway the other day at 1-2 mph with the wheel turned hard left. When the problem wheel went down off the curb (2") I felt something like the wheel slipped or it banged up against something. I can't adequately describe it. It happened to fast, I don't remember if it made a noise or not.

Maybe this will help diagnose the issue?

Thanks.

kfx
    kfx is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS

Quote Originally Posted by cadillacroadside View Post
    hitting a bump in the road and feeling a problem in the front end has NOTHING to do with your wheel balance, unless you are expiriencing a constant vibration at certain speeds do not waste your money, if the vehicle goes squirrelly over a bump you have a suspension component not is not up to par whether it be a loose tie rod end, a stabiler link issue or a strut problem needs to be correctly diagnosed. we have had strut issues on these vehicles when the strut appears to ok under visual inspection but it lost oscilating capability, i can guarnatee it has nothing to do with your wheel balance
    I agree, if wheel balance was an issue you would feel vibration through the steering wheel at certain speeds whether you were hitting a bump or not, this definitely sounds suspension related for both tdot & junior.

I recently installed the FE4 V shocks/struts & eibach lowering springs, had 4-wheel alignment, plus I'm running lower profile 18" tires. As much as I love how the car sticks to the road, I've pretty much ruined any soft Cadillac ride. The WI roads are horrible from last winter and if I hit one of the many potholes it about knocks your teeth out. The worst thing is all of the heaving that has happened to the roads, especially at bridge decks. There's no way to avoid hitting it because it goes across the whole lane. Next time I get new tires I'm definitely going from a 45 to 50 sidewall to see if helps the ride at all.

dannoaz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6 Auto FE4

Besides the suspension, there are also the front bearings. May be a "stretch", but possible? Mine make a good amount of noise.

Dan

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.