How to remove the grille
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, How to remove the grille in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I did not see any writeups on the faq, nor on here (though I did not really search that hard) ...
    JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

How to remove the grille

I did not see any writeups on the faq, nor on here (though I did not really search that hard) so I figured I would snap a couple pics for those who were wondering what is involved.

First of all, get a better looking grille than this one:

Remove the rubber cover (A) There are no screws, you just pull it off.
    Remove the 6 compression pins by first using a screwdriver to pop up the inner pin. Then carefully pry up the outer pin by its flange and pull it out of the hole.
    These are the easy ones.

This is where it gets a little tricky. You have to pull the grill away a little (the stock one is more flexible than the sport grill) and remove the two compression pins. The hard part is that they are facing away from you. What I did (as shown in the second photo of my ugly-ass hand) is use an awl with the point rounded off to push the inner pin out (from the bottom of the pin which is facing you.) Then I squeezed the bottom of the outer pin and pushed it though. There is just enough room to snake your hand in there and pull them out the rest of the way. Then do the other side.

Then there is a flanged tab between those two pins that you have to pop out.

After that, there are four bottom pins. At this point the grille will now rotate out enough for you to have some room to work. Pins 1 and 4, are pretty easy, as there is about an inch between them and the steel bumper. Pins 2 and 3 are not bad if you use my awl trick. You can kind of pull up a little on the tabs, to push the whole pin through (after you have removed the grille) and take them out. You can throw them away at this point, because I guarantee you are not getting them back in without removing the whole bumper cover (at least with the sport grille.)

After you remove those 4 pins, there are two more tabs between 1-2 and 3-4 that you have to pull out. Then there is a center tab between 2-3 and then the grille will come free.

My little awl trick to push the inner compression pin out of the inside of the pin:

Putting the sport grille on will take some craft. I did not take any pictures, because it would be too hard to explain here. If you buy one, you will see what is involved. On the four bottom pin holes, and the 4 side pin holes, you have to not only align the plastic grille holes with the bumper cover, you also have to align the holes in the metal tabs that hold the mesh in place. I left off the two middle pins on the bottom (2 and 3). The two outer pins (1 and 4) were a PITA! You just have to struggle though it. Or leave them off also. I know others have, and the three tabs on the bottom of the grille hold it pretty securely.

As for the side pins, the lower one (pin 2) I got the hole in the plastic grille aligned, and the pin through, but I could not get the mesh’s metal tab aligned. The top pin I got through both tabs just fine. Once you get past that, of course, the top pins are a piece of cake.

Despite all this, the grill is soundly in place.

The end result makes it all worth it.

Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

FL01SS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Check out my CTS here: http://www.fquick.com/FL01SS

Re: How to remove the grille

Car looks great! Nice write up too. You didn't label (A) though.

Cartdawg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS

Nice writeup man!! This is great!!!!!!

SvB4EvA is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac CTS 3.6L Black, LOADED

Very good writeup jimmy, I am sure people will get good use out of it..

The grille looks amazing too! Congrats... Prepare to do "the look-back" a lot more when u park your ride

Next mod? Clear fogs? clear sidemarkers? rims?

I know u have a V, but dont neglect the CTS!

BLACK CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS Luxury Sport

Nice instructions Jimmy. It looks great.

You probably live real close to me. Now that you know how to do it, maybe you could help with mine when I get it. LOL.

-=AlexXx=- is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac CTS

clears ftw. thanks for the write up dude, looks good.

thanks guys, I have to say, I almost like the CTS more than the V. Handling is about 90% of the V, ride quality is 300%. And I lost my thrill for straight line acceleration when I got rid of my Ninja. After a sport bike, every thing else is slow

No more exterior mods. I think they are kind of a waste. You hardly ever see them. I just had to do the grille. And I will admit, I do the lookback quite a bit now with the sport grille

For those who are nervous about replacing the grille, dont be. It was VERY easy. Except for the small little tricky parts. From popping the hood, to putting the old grille in the box was 20 minutes tops, and that included snapping the photos.

Jon
    Jon is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS Premium 6 Speed, 04 CTS 3.6L, 2014 ATS 2.0T

I'd rather pull the bumper. Tried taking the grille off that way and thought I was going to break the bumper or crack the paint. But we tried in mid-winter so maybe that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I'd rather pull the bumper. Tried taking the grille off that way and thought I was going to break the bumper or crack the paint. But we tried in mid-winter so maybe that's why.
    just dont post any of your damn professional quality pictures in my thread

FL01SS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Check out my CTS here: http://www.fquick.com/FL01SS

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    For those who are nervous about replacing the grille, dont be. It was VERY easy. Except for the small little tricky parts. From popping the hood, to putting the old grille in the box was 20 minutes tops, and that included snapping the photos.
    I agree. Nothing to it.

urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

sweet

mprest99 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS

This will come in handy when I go to sway mine out.. thanks for the details..

Mr.GeneralMotors is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Jimmy, I have that same exact color cts and wasnt sure if the sports grille would look good in that color since i havent seen any pictures in that color and i LOVE it. Where did you get that sports grille? Dealers dont offer it anymore. I found it here http://gmaccessoriesstore.com/grille-white-p-4050.html and here http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results...umber=19155367 but the prices seem high and I wasnt sure if it came with the logo or not. What do you think?

Wow, old tread.

I got mine from Lindsay (link to the right) for $400 I think. I wasn't even going to do it. I was just going to stay with the stock grille. But I posted in some thread and they just happened to have one, so I got lucky. Looks way better than stock.

My next project is going to get some SS 3 mesh and put in the valence behind the 4 openings down there. Just have to figure out how to mount it.

Nana is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Wink Re: How to remove the grille

Thanks for posting such clear instructions and great pictures! I did this all by myself except for a couple of pins that I let DH snap in.
    Tip: my solution to replacing the difficult pins in the center tabs was to use plastic drywall anchors that expand.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.