Do i just have a bad cts?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Do i just have a bad cts? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; So far in 2300mi of driving the car I've noticed few things in my car that needs to be checked ...
    Devil_concours is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Angry Do i just have a bad cts?

So far in 2300mi of driving the car
    I've noticed few things in my car that needs to be checked on

1. Humbing noise around 25mph and 60mph. This noise is very loud and easy to repeat again. (took it to the dealer at around 700mi and they told me they couldn't duplicate)
    2. I can feel little vibration(kinda like when the car is misfiring) sometimes when stopped for traffic light as well as ocasional cold start.
    3. Noticed that there is a lot of vibration coming from the shifter and was told by numerous people on the forum that this is normal but this much vibration on a 30k+ car is kinda weird.
    4. 4th/5th (not too sure which) gear acceleration is very weak and engine sound is weak as well. (I didn notice this until i tried to pass a slow moving car on i95 where everyone is doing 80+).

I wanted to do a lot of things with the car but it seems like i should just ride it for another year or two and trade it for something else. Also when should i get my first oil change done?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Do i just have a bad cts?

I'm taking my car in for service again this weekend as well as an oil change. We will see how it goes.

miscreant is offline GM Connection

1. Humbing noise around 25mph and 60mph. This noise is very loud and easy to repeat again. (took it to the dealer at around 700mi and they told me they couldn't duplicate)
    Take them for a ride with you, in the back seat. They may have a hard time hearing it because it's not *their* car and they haven't lived with it the last 2300 miles.

2. I can feel little vibration(kinda like when the car is misfiring) sometimes when stopped for traffic light as well as ocasional cold start.
    There is an engine Calibration code out for this. Tell them to check http://calid.gm.com.

There is also these conditions as well:

---------------
    Loose Ground Causing Misfire - 3.6 catalytic converter driveability DTC P0300 P0301 P0302 P0303 P0304 P0305 P0306 P0420 P0430 performance power stall LY7 low #PI01675C - (04/12/2004)
    Loose Ground Causing Misfire

When servicing the vehicle with the VIN you entered, the following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the described symptoms.

Condition/Concern:

When the ignition coil grounds are loose, it could cause loss of (ign) coils on an entire bank that could result in multiple misfire codes /catalyst-damaging misfire (blinking MIL) or stall.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Check the ground retention/connection for Bank 1 Ignition coils for cylinders 1-3-5 and Bank 2 Ignition coils for cylinders 2-4-6.

----------------

3.6L LY7 Engine - Low Mileage Misfire - kw driveability DTC miss P0300 P0301 P0302 P0303 P0304 P0305 P0306 #PI02002 - (04/15/2004)
    3.6L LY7 Engine - Low Mileage Misfire

When servicing the vehicle with the VIN you entered, the following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the described symptoms.

Condition/Concern:

Some 3.6L LY7 engnes may experience a misfire complaint at very low mileage. Typically the misfire would occur at less than 50 miles. The misfire may be on more that one cylinder.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Check the connector for the injector and ignition coil for the affected cylinder(s). Make sure the wires are fully seated in the connector body. If there are no wiring issues present than the cause of the misfire is probably a fouled spark plug(s). Remove the affected spark plug and check if it is fouled. If it is fouled, then all 6 plugs should be replaced.

---------------

3. Noticed that there is a lot of vibration coming from the shifter and was told by numerous people on the forum that this is normal but this much vibration on a 30k+ car is kinda weird.
    This is normal with ANY car with a gear selector connected directly to the transmission. MOST cars have a remotely connected gear shifter that uses cables.

4. 4th/5th (not too sure which) gear acceleration is very weak and engine sound is weak as well. (I didn notice this until i tried to pass a slow moving car on i95 where everyone is doing 80+).
    Did you mash the throttle down, or only a little bit? I think it might be related to your miss (above) perhaps.

I wanted to do a lot of things with the car but it seems like i should just ride it for another year or two and trade it for something else. Also when should i get my first oil change done?
    With the experience I have had with other cars, these are minimalistic at best. I'm not trying to down play your problems, but they are minimal.
    2004 Cadillac CTS (**SOLD** ): http://www.ctsowners.com
    2004 Pontiac GTO: http://www.myyellowgto.com

cadillac04 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

At what rpms do you hear the sound? Where in the car does it sound like it's coming from? Can you hear it outside of the car? Does it make the sound when the engine is cold? Can you hear the sound while in N while reving the engine with the parking brake on?

cadillac04 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

What options do you have in your CTS? Is it the sport or luxury?

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac04
    What options do you have in your CTS? Is it the sport or luxury?
    Neither since dealer brought me a different car than the one i wanted. They gave me a pretty good deal on it so i bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac04

At what rpms do you hear the sound? Where in the car does it sound like it's coming from? Can you hear it outside of the car? Does it make the sound when the engine is cold? Can you hear the sound while in N while reving the engine with the parking brake on?
    only when accelerator is pressed or just depressed at certain speeds. Around 25mph it seems like noise coming from the back and not too sure about the noise around 60.
    As for not noticing the noise. Impossible. If my mother can notice it, they can't miss it.

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

Devil Concours,

This humming/whining sound is your rearend.
    No question about it.
    My SRX does the same thing.
    It starts at 29 mph and is particulary bad between 30-35 mph.
    It is now making the sound all the way up to 70 mph.
    This is called a pitch point whine, or pitch sensitive whine.
    I only have 4500 miles on mine and the noise started at about 2000 miles.

My feeling is that whoever is setting up the CTS/SRX rearends is doing it wrong. The gears are probably cutting too deeply. There have been too many posts about it, and too many rearends replaced recently.

As far as acceleration above 80 mph goes, my SRX does not accelerate well above 80 mph because it is only dropping down to 4th.
    At 70mph it will flat go, above that not a lot of power.
    Your problem sounds worse than mine, although my car has a stumbling feeling at low speeds when it is cold.

Hope this helps.

occasionally when i hit the accelerator from complete stop to make turns or merge in to moving traffic, there is a delay between the time i hit the accelerator and time the car started accelerating (i almost got in an accident today). What could cause the car to not move right away? also car pops foward violently when it does starts moving.

just came back from a long trip and realized something.
    I realized that engine sounds bad because i'm getting the humbing noise at that speed.

also check out the following link for a srx owner who is also having response issue.
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=13633

mfiske1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

See my post entitled:
    37K miles on '03 CTS and I've gone through 2 rear ends already. GETTING WORRIED!

...on page 1 right now. The humming noise is most definitely the rear diff.

Quote Originally Posted by mfiske1
    See my post entitled:
    37K miles on '03 CTS and I've gone through 2 rear ends already. GETTING WORRIED!

...on page 1 right now. The humming noise is most definitely the rear diff.
    they did the same thing with my car. They basically said they've never heard of anyone with cts rear end problems

strindl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by mfiske1

Wow...those must be some really uncomfortable seats. Modern medicine amazes me..I didn't even know they did rear end transplants. :>

(sorry...I'm in a silly mood and couldn't resist)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.