05 CTS: After market Nav or Factory Nav unit?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 05 CTS: After market Nav or Factory Nav unit? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; First post here. My wife just got a black on black sport package 05 CTS without Nav or Bose (for ...
    86mcss is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS

Arrow 05 CTS: After market Nav or Factory Nav unit?

First post here.

My wife just got a black on black sport package 05 CTS without Nav or Bose (for a great price).

I have been reading a lot here and on the cadi faq website and see it is possible to install the factory Nav unti but it will not have the factory voice commands(which she wants), because the car was not equipped with a bose system from the factory. Is there any way around that?

Should I go with an aftermarket DVD/Nav system? A big downfall in her eyes is that she will lose the function of the steering wheel radio controls.

She wants everything to continue to work and function properly, so I am not sure what to go with.

This is her first "new" car (coming off a crappy 95 cavalier she had since Highschool) so she is being very picky.

Need some help and advise please.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: 05 CTS: After market Nav or Factory Nav unit?

orly?

SvB4EvA is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac CTS 3.6L Black, LOADED

You can enable the voice commands... http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answe...ert/index.html

bottom of that page

stacykathryn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS Sport

I just bought an 06 3.6 sport, fully loaded except no nav and no Bose as well. I did test drive an identical twin that had Bose ... you would think all of the luxury sports would have Bose but oh well. I installed factory navigation and I love it. Heres the deal:

I would DEFINITELY... DEFINITELY go with the factory nav unit. It matches the dash perfectly, works with OnStar, XM, steering wheel controls, etc, is nearly plug and play, and is quite an amazing unit. If it was touch screen, it would be perfect. It has XM NavTraffic support, voice memo, address book that can IR beam between a PDA and the radio, etc. Not to mention it has the Driver Info Center just as your standard radio does. I do NOT like how those aftermarket installs look in CTSes... Ugh. Just my opinion.

Anyways, I am planning on adding Bose. But in the meantime, the only issues are:
    -Although the DIC is still displayed (MPGs, Outside temp, etc).. it will NOT show tire pressures. That is why navigation is not an option on CTS with the 18" sport wheel package and TPMS. This was apparently an oversight by either Delphi or GM, so the only resolution was to not offer UAV navigation option on that particular model.
    -Without Bose, there is no voice recognition, voice memo recording, or voice commands for navigation.
    -For some reason, the OnStar "talking man" button below the volume control on the steering wheel no longer does the "OnStar ready" command, but instead mutes the radio and then refuses to unmute. Must be the Bose issue again.
    -It is really frustrating not having a joystick or a touch screen, but this radio is FEATURE PACKED! It even has an HTML browser!!! And it plays DVD movies!!

Stacy Kathryn
    06 CTS 3.6 Luxury Sport
    18" sport wheels/spoiler/grille/HIDs etc... Added UAV factory nav and XM nav traffic.

SvB4EvA is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac CTS 3.6L Black, LOADED

Quote Originally Posted by stacykathryn View Post
    I just bought an 06 3.6 sport, fully loaded except no nav and no Bose as well. I did test drive an identical twin that had Bose ... you would think all of the luxury sports would have Bose but oh well. I installed factory navigation and I love it. Heres the deal:

I would DEFINITELY... DEFINITELY go with the factory nav unit. It matches the dash perfectly, works with OnStar, XM, steering wheel controls, etc, is nearly plug and play, and is quite an amazing unit. If it was touch screen, it would be perfect. It has XM NavTraffic support, voice memo, address book that can IR beam between a PDA and the radio, etc. Not to mention it has the Driver Info Center just as your standard radio does. I do NOT like how those aftermarket installs look in CTSes... Ugh. Just my opinion.

Anyways, I am planning on adding Bose. But in the meantime, the only issues are:
    -Although the DIC is still displayed (MPGs, Outside temp, etc).. it will NOT show tire pressures. That is why navigation is not an option on CTS with the 18" sport wheel package and TPMS. This was apparently an oversight by either Delphi or GM, so the only resolution was to not offer UAV navigation option on that particular model.
    -Without Bose, there is no voice recognition, voice memo recording, or voice commands for navigation.
    -For some reason, the OnStar "talking man" button below the volume control on the steering wheel no longer does the "OnStar ready" command, but instead mutes the radio and then refuses to unmute. Must be the Bose issue again.
    -It is really frustrating not having a joystick or a touch screen, but this radio is FEATURE PACKED! It even has an HTML browser!!! And it plays DVD movies!!

Stacy Kathryn
    06 CTS 3.6 Luxury Sport
    18" sport wheels/spoiler/grille/HIDs etc... Added UAV factory nav and XM nav traffic.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

This was apparently an oversight by either Delphi or GM, so the only resolution was to not offer UAV navigation option on that particular model.
    Exactly. I ALMOST did not buy my CTS because of this. All the CTS-V models have a NAV unit and tire pressure, but the TPMS is displayed in the gauge clusters.

I think it is partly due to this sport package being relatively new to the CTS and not originally in design plan. Although, if I was in charge at GM when this came about and there was a choice for a TPMS or the NAV unit, NAV would win hands down.

Don't get me wrong. TPMS is a nice feature and by all means every Cadillac should have one IMO. But the NAV is the center piece of the 03-07s already dull interior.

Live and learn GM.

thanks for the help everyone. i guess ill do the factory nav

big thanks to you stacy

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.