Tried to program new key now car wont start!!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Tried to program new key now car wont start!!! in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; So I've posted a thread a few days back and people suggested that in order to program a new key ...
    04deveni is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS

Tried to program new key now car wont start!!!

So I've posted a thread a few days back and people suggested that in order to program a new key all you need to do is start the car with an existing key and then within 30 seconds put in the new one and all is done.

I just finished the above mentioned procedure and now my car wont start. Not with the new key nor the old.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to revive my car? Obviously this is an Anti Theft maneuver so is there something that I can reset on my own without having to pay big $$$?

I guess now the thought of paying a dealer 120 bucks for key programming seems like a bargain.

Mine is an 03 Canadian CTS.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

SvB4EvA is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac CTS 3.6L Black, LOADED

Re: Tried to program new key now car wont start!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 04deveni View Post
    So I've posted a thread a few days back and people suggested that in order to program a new key all you need to do is start the car with an existing key and then within 30 seconds put in the new one and all is done.

I just finished the above mentioned procedure and now my car wont start. Not with the new key nor the old.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to revive my car? Obviously this is an Anti Theft maneuver so is there something that I can reset on my own without having to pay big $$$?

I guess now the thought of paying a dealer 120 bucks for key programming seems like a bargain.

Mine is an 03 Canadian CTS.
    I remember the thread. This guys says, "You only need one key, trust me, i've programed mine like that and i got an 03 canadian cts. Worse that can happen is you lock up passlock, and you'll have to leave the working key in the on position for 15 min to unlock it."

Did you leave the working key in the on position for 15 mins?

schmiot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Stealth Grey CTS-V

There's a procedure that goes like this, give it a try:

1. Put key in, turn to on position, the security light will be on,
    2. Wait for 10 minutes, the light will go off,
    3. within 30 seconds, turn key off, take key out, go to step 1.

Do this 3 times and the key should be programmed.

Good luck.

Thanks guys.

Actually after coming upstairs and writing this thread I went back to the other one and read that 15 min procedure. So I went down to my condos garage and put my old key back in, the display said something like "ignition is shut down" or along those lines. I took the key out and put it back in.... at this point the car doors locked and unlocked for some reason and when turning the key fully the car started so no need for 15 minutes.

schimiot, I'll try your way tomorrow morning and post my results.

talonstylz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): cts?

Usually you need to put the second key in and start it within 10 seconds, not 30. Sometimes it locks it up. I've done a few of the cts's, and also a few of the new sierra's, they are now using the pk3/passlock keys also. Worse case scenario, find a private locksmith, they'll usually program the key for a case of beer, thats how i got my first one, the guy provided a key and all and showed me how to do it, all for a 12 pack.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

When programming new keys, do not start the engine.

Don't time 10 minutes, watch the security light and wait for it to go out... it just happens to take about 10 minutes.

To program a replacement key, turn the key to run, wait for the light to go out, repeat 2 more times.

To add a key, put in the master key, turn to run, NOT CRANK, then wait for the light to go out. (should be quick) then insert the new key within a few seconds, turn the ignition to run, wait for the light to go out... you are now done.

random155 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Where did you get the extra key from... I got two from streetkeys dot com and they didnt work. I then went to the dealer and got a key and it worked. So it could be the key you bought.

It should say PK3 on the key shank or have a + on it, maybe with a circle around it.
    Plain keys won't work, no pellet inside the head of the key.
    They may have sent you non-theft key blanks?

Gentlemen,

My Key says PK3+ on it, I bought it from a GM dealership. I have tried all three methods they are...

1. With existing key turn to start position (don't start) until theft light goes out. Take key out, put new key in turn to start. No Go!
    2. New key turned to "On" position for about ten minutes until theft light goes out. X3. No Go!
    3. New key turned to "Start" position for about ten minutes until theft light goes out. X3. No Go! (This one gives me a message and I quote "Starting Disabled Remove Key")

WTF?

Just to clarify, after inserting the key and turning once they key is in "On" position, turning for the second time is "Start", turning after that actually starts the car at which point the key goes back to the "Start" position. Am I right? (Sorry if this is tedious, I'm just hoping to eliminate a mistake that springs out of some small technicality).

Thanks.

talonstylz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): cts?

What worked for me is start the car with the original key, let it run for a few seconds, then shut it down, within 10 seconds start the car with the blank key.
    Thats how i programed mine and it works perfect to this day. Also after shutting it down with the second key, fire it up with the original again and you should be good to go, atleast thats what worked for me.

04torchred is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 Cadillac cts

04 did you ever figure it out? i'm in the same boat.

There are 4 positions to a typical ignition switch.

Off
    Accy
    Run
    Start (or crank)

DO NOT turn the key to the crank position, turn it to RUN, wait for the light, then turn it OFF
    Within 5 seconds insert the key to be learned, turn the key to RUN, wait for the light then OFF

DO NOT TRY TO START THE ENGINE!
    If you initiate a crank request before the key is learned in run mode you will cause the theft system to become active.

TORCHRED,

Not Yet.

ewill3rd, to tell you the truth, after trying a million different things. I can now cranck and do whatever with the unlearned key and when I do it says ignition disabled or sometrhing like that. But if I pull that key out and try my old one everything works tip top.

Guys, I will keep trying until I do this and when I do I will definitely post my results with you.

Thanks for all the replies.

Hmmm... sounds like the key blank might be wrong, you say it says PK3 on the shank of the key?

Yup on the actual metal of it. Maybe our super sly Canadian dealer do something to these keys. Or maybe this is simply the case where without two working keys I'm sh#t out of luck.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.