Steering wheel vibration
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Steering wheel vibration in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I just noticed today that my steering wheel has a slight vibration that's most noticeable around 40-50 mph. It's a ...
    Mbai2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS DI 6 Speed Manual Black/Black w/ FE3 Fully Loaded

Steering wheel vibration

I just noticed today that my steering wheel has a slight vibration that's most noticeable around 40-50 mph. It's a very slight vibration with a total oscillation range of about 3 degrees (plus or minus 1.5 degrees from the average position) when I let go of the steering wheel. It is not noticeable when your hand is actually holding the steering wheel. I have not changed anything (or hit anything) to have caused this so I'm thinking it's always been there but I have just not noticed. Does anyone else see this in their CTS?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

smuook is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Steering wheel vibration

Currently... no.

I did replace my wheels with aftermarket wheels and got vibration at 70mph. It had to do with the lug pattern... you can read that post if you want the details... it's currently active.

If it was in the steering... you would probably get the vibration at lower speeds too. Since it seems to be tied to speed... I would look at the wheels since they created more centrifugal force as speed increases.

I would check the tire pressure and look for any abnormalities in the tire. Then have the wheels rebalanced. Then make sure the lug nuts are tightened in an alternating criss-cross pattern. Then torque them down to spec.

After that... you are probably dealing with a more involved issue. I would take it to the dealer and pray to the warranty Gods.

I actually just put on new wheels with hub centric rings a week ago but did not notice the vibration until today. At first, I thought it was the wheels causing the vibration but that woulnd't explain why the vibration was non-existent at higher speeds. Tire pressure is up to tire specs (50psi). Any more suggestions? Anyone else experiencing vibration? Maybe it's supposed to give the car a "more sporty feel" like the vibrating shifter

miscreant is offline GM Connection

Quote Originally Posted by Mbai2
    I actually just put on new wheels with hub centric rings a week ago but did not notice the vibration until today. At first, I thought it was the wheels causing the vibration but that woulnd't explain why the vibration was non-existent at higher speeds. Tire pressure is up to tire specs (50psi). Any more suggestions? Anyone else experiencing vibration? Maybe it's supposed to give the car a "more sporty feel" like the vibrating shifter
    50 psi! Did you say 50psi? Did you mean 30psi? Hope so. 50 psi is WAY(!!!!!) to much!

What tires? They could be flat spotting since they are new.
    2004 Cadillac CTS (**SOLD** ): http://www.ctsowners.com
    2004 Pontiac GTO: http://www.myyellowgto.com

Quote Originally Posted by miscreant
    50 psi! Did you say 50psi? Did you mean 30psi? Hope so. 50 psi is WAY(!!!!!) to much!

What tires? They could be flat spotting since they are new.
    The tires are Toyo Proxes FZ4 225/40. As far as the tire pressure goes...what should I inflate them to? I asked about this in another thread and was told that I should follow the markings on the tire (which says 50). CTS says 30psi. Not really sure what to do. Good thing it was in the shop for a week in a half after putting on the new tires so I didn't get many miles on them at a high pressure.

The tires are Toyo Proxes FZ4 225/40. As far as the tire pressure goes...what should I inflate them to? I asked about this in another thread and was told that I should follow the markings on the tire (which says 50). CTS says 30psi. Not really sure what to do. Good thing it was in the shop for a week in a half after putting on the new tires so I didn't get many miles on them at a high pressure.
    OWWWW!!!!! NO! The tire pressure listed on the tire is the MAX pressure! You should run about 30-34psi. Get that pressure down before you ruin your tires.

Tires gain pressure as they heat up. If you are running 50psi, that means they are heating up and going over 50psi!

225/40 tires? on what size rims? They sound awfully small.

CTSV OWNER is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV

What kind of tire machine did they use? Did the person performing the work have difficulty working the tire onto the rim and pull a cord in a tire? With the wheels off the ground spin the tire and look straight at the tread and see if there are any variations side to side, or up and down. You could have a bad tire even if they balance perfectly. Its a condition known as "radial force variation" The best tire shops have machines that can measure this.

As for tire pressure I would not set them to the max rated on the tire itself. Even though they can handle that much the ride quality may suffer. I would set them to the specs on the door jamb and drive the car. If it does not feel right handleing or ride wise adjust a pound or two to dial them in. I would start at 30 psi all the way around and watch the tpm and see what they go up to when warm.

OWWWW!!!!! NO! The tire pressure listed on the tire is the MAX pressure! You should run about 30-34psi. Get that pressure down before you ruin your tires.

Tires gain pressure as they heat up. If you are running 50psi, that means they are heating up and going over 50psi!

225/40 tires? on what size rims? They sound awfully small.
    The wheels that I liked only came with a 7" width with 18" diameter so I had to go for the 225's. I didn't realize how short the sidewall was when I ordered the tires. I'm definately going to have to go taller on my next set of tires. I'll lower the tire pressure tmw morning. Thanks for the heads up .

The wheels that I liked only came with a 7" width with 18" diameter so I had to go for the 225's. I didn't realize how short the sidewall was when I ordered the tires. I'm definately going to have to go taller on my next set of tires. I'll lower the tire pressure tmw morning. Thanks for the heads up .
    Yes, though it's a moot point and I wont rub it in , but 225/45 would have been much better.

But I think you'll notice alot better ride with the lower tire pressure, and your vibration may go away.

smuook is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Mbai2,

You are also running .6 inches smaller diameter on these tires. This affects your speedometer and odometer. You are going slower than you think you are and your miles are going to rack up faster.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Yes, though it's a moot point and I wont rub it in , but 225/45 would have been much better.

But I think you'll notice alot better ride with the lower tire pressure, and your vibration may go away.
    I lowered the tire pressure and now the vibration is gone!!

Anyone here need or know someone who needs a new set of toyo proxes FZ4 225/40-18's? I'll sell all four for cheap.

wait, i was just imagining things. the vibration is still there. What's funny is that it is only noticeable around 50 mph. If I go faster or slower, it doesn't vibrate anymore. I retorqued the wheels and the problem is still there...

wait, i was just imagining things. the vibration is still there. What's funny is that it is only noticeable around 50 mph. If I go faster or slower, it doesn't vibrate anymore. I retorqued the wheels and the problem is still there...
    Sounds like it's not balanced right. A wheel out of balance will vibrate around 45-50mph, and a tire that is out of round will vibrate/thump at about 60-70mph...Take it to a place that has a Hunter Radial Force Variance machine...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.