05 Rear Doors wont latch shut
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 05 Rear Doors wont latch shut in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hey guys...I have an 05 CTS & I'm having trouble with the rear doors not latching shut. For whatever reason, ...
    notandre3000 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

05 Rear Doors wont latch shut

Hey guys...I have an 05 CTS & I'm having trouble with the rear doors not latching shut. For whatever reason, sometimes after opening a rear door in the morning, it will not latch shut when I try to close it. I try & try & try to close the door, but it will not latch. This has happened on both rear doors a few times in the last few weeks. This morning I had to tie the seat belt around the door handle to keep the door shut on my way to work! I'm not sure if it's the cold weather or if both latching mechanisms are going bad at the same time. I called the dealership & they said they have never heard of such a problem. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Rich24 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: 05 Rear Doors wont latch shut

I believe there was a tsb on this a long time ago. I think a little grease may have been the fix. The issue was related to cold and water I think. Good luck

SvB4EvA is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac CTS 3.6L Black, LOADED

Quote Originally Posted by notandre3000 View Post
    Hey guys...I have an 05 CTS & I'm having trouble with the rear doors not latching shut. For whatever reason, sometimes after opening a rear door in the morning, it will not latch shut when I try to close it. I try & try & try to close the door, but it will not latch. This has happened on both rear doors a few times in the last few weeks. This morning I had to tie the seat belt around the door handle to keep the door shut on my way to work! I'm not sure if it's the cold weather or if both latching mechanisms are going bad at the same time. I called the dealership & they said they have never heard of such a problem. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
    My old '87 Grand Prix had a big problem with door latches when it was really cold. It was really a pain in the ass... Ide be slamming the door and it would do nothing..... only thing that would make it better was waiting for it to warm up. I remember a few times driving to work holding the door closed and tying it with my seatbelt, lol.... How cold is it there?

This problem with my old car was only when it was wet/snowy and then dropped well below freezing.

Quote Originally Posted by SvB4EvA View Post
    How cold is it there?

This problem with my old car was only when it was wet/snowy and then dropped well below freezing.
    It's been in the 30's here in the Seattle area. I was assuming it was the cold because as the car's internal termperature warms due to the heater the doors start to latch again. I just wasn't sure.

Sigma_1966 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS

Have same problems on my 07.

SvB4EvA is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac CTS 3.6L Black, LOADED

Quote Originally Posted by notandre3000 View Post
    It's been in the 30's here in the Seattle area. I was assuming it was the cold because as the car's internal termperature warms due to the heater the doors start to latch again. I just wasn't sure.
    yea, same thing with my old GP... I never heard of this on a CTS tho...

coolcat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I am having the same problem with my 04. Three times this winter the temperature here in Ontario has dropped below minus 10 degrees C and the rear doors wouldn't latch. I don't think that it is a water freezing in the latch issue either, as there wasn't any rain or melting the day or night before. It has never happen to the front doors. I spoke to the dealer and was also told that they've never heard of it before. They did suggested spraying the latch with white lithium greese, and suggested not using product like WD40, silicon spray or Graphite spray. I tried the lithium spray, I will have to wait to see if it helps.

Thanks guys. I'll have to try the White Lithium Greese. Same exact issue here coolcat, it's only happened in cold weather & today there was no moisture at all on the car. Not even frost.

OK dealers advise was wrong!!! White lithium greese did not help, might have made it worse. One rear door wouldn't latch again tonight. Does anyone have any ideas, there must be a fix.

Chief_AT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS - 2005

When I worked for a large computer company, we used synthetic oil on the mechanical devices, such as printers. The reasoning was that the synthetic had two advantages over petroleum products - they did not thicken with cold temperatures, and they did not form "gum" with age and exposure to dust. One of our clients had remote printers installed in unheated outbuildings, and use of standard oils would lock them up like steel when the nights got cold. Maybe spraying some sort of cleaning solution, to remove the present lubricants, allowing it to dry, and spraying in a light mist of synthetic oil? Like chicken soup for a broken leg - can't hurt.

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

Simple solution: Move to San Antonio. Although we have been struggling with 35 degrees at night and 50 in the daytime for the past 2 weeks, most of the daytime temps have been around 70 since the summer.

Great tacos too.

petronm2000 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Get a can of PB Buster and spray it on the latch in the closed position then free the latch with the door handle. Then move the latch a few times in and out of the open and closed position. Sometimes when its a real pain after that hold the door shut and lock the door. I had that problem a few times in parking lots but my heated garage helps alot.

Spyke is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6L VVT

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/index.html

theres a topic related to that enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Chief_AT View Post
    When I worked for a large computer company, we used synthetic oil on the mechanical devices, such as printers. The reasoning was that the synthetic had two advantages over petroleum products - they did not thicken with cold temperatures, and they did not form "gum" with age and exposure to dust. One of our clients had remote printers installed in unheated outbuildings, and use of standard oils would lock them up like steel when the nights got cold. Maybe spraying some sort of cleaning solution, to remove the present lubricants, allowing it to dry, and spraying in a light mist of synthetic oil? Like chicken soup for a broken leg - can't hurt.
    It's worth a try. If it's a sensitivity to the lub thickening up in cold weather, then theoretically a synthetic lube wouldn't thicken in the cold and the problem is solved, and even if it's a frozen water thing, the sythetic lube will displace any moisture if there is any. Thx Chief_AT, great idea.

janimal is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation

I have an 06 and I am having the same prob. but mine is with all four doors. my radio just went out at the same time. don`t know if if has anything in do with anything. was told there is a solenoid, that controls all. was told to take it to a body shop. This sound like it`s going to cost. a lot. I am so lost. please let me know if u find anything out

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.