Window Tinting
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Window Tinting in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I just recently got my windows tinted and they look pretty good, except for the top of the rear window ...
    CTSLew is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Window Tinting

I just recently got my windows tinted and they look pretty good, except for the top of the rear window where those little bumps are (the dot matrix section). The tinting film doesn't adhere to the window very well in this area and it looks kind of crappy. I was wondering what CTS owners on this board have done to remedy this problem? I am very anal and would love to find the right solution to this, so I wanted to know what you all have done (if anything) about this on your cars?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MEJIA is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: Window Tinting

Even though I don't own a CTS, I know how you feel because I've had the same problem in the past with other cars. For all my cars I always use two shops, one here in Monterrey, and the other one in Texas. Both shops have told me there is nothing one can do to fix this problem, but to only leave that part without tinting. I was really dissapointed when I was told this, but the good news is that when driving and looking in the rearview mirror you won't notice the lack of window tint in that part of the glass.
    Hope this helps...

benjet is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

For now mine has this problem as well, from the outside it looks icky. The tint place I had mine done at warned me about this and said they had a solution but would want to wait to see how it looked after awhile before going to the next step. I haven't been back there lately (the place I use is kinda far from me), but I will let you know when I get it taken care of - what they did, etc.

-Ben

Rich H is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV

Cool Re: Window Tinting

I just had window tinting applied to my CTS V last Friday. The tint shop knew about the problem in advance. They recommended that a black-out vinyl be applied in the top area of the window where the dot matrix pattern was located. They told me the other option was simply not to tint it but that it would look bad from the outside - even with the "light" 30% tint I was using. I was skeptical so I had them leave the vinyl off first to see if the lack of tint was noticeable - and obviously it was. So they applied the vinyl. There is virtually no visible obstruction of the window thru the rear view mirror. As such, I'm happy. They say that is what they do on all CTSs and they do a lot since they tint for the Cadillac dealer where I bought my car - at three times the price I paid!

Also, I had them but the clear bra on the front hood, fendors and back of mirrors. I had them put a clear vinyl coating on the plastic covers on the headlight, fog, and parking lights. Overall it looks good so far. Hope it holds up.

Rich H

benjet is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Rich H
    They recommended that a black-out vinyl be applied in the top area of the window where the dot matrix pattern was located.
    I *THINK* this is what they had suggested for me as well. I will get it done one of these days.

-Ben

Cal
    Cal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Same here. I will be going back since the moron messed up a couple windows anyhow. I'll take pictures after they fix it up, I have 5% all around.

CTSLew is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Cool! Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll look into the black-out vinyl option, which I have heard good things about from several owners. I hope it doesn't cost me too much to get this done (seeing as how I just got my windows completely tinted yesterday).

86caddtwithflows is offline Cadillac Owners Member

after a while it will look uniform across the dot matrix but it will always look different than the rest of the window..i personally didnt mind it

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.