2003 CTS thermostat
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 2003 CTS thermostat in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; thermostat is out in our 2003 CTS....my mechanic says it will cost $455 to replace it. Does that sound reasonable?...
    soonerswin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

2003 CTS thermostat

thermostat is out in our 2003 CTS....my mechanic says it will cost $455 to replace it. Does that sound reasonable?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dup's Cadi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS

Re: 2003 CTS thermostat

I will be a lot to replace. They have to remove the intake manifold to get at it, it's in the middle of the engines "v". It will be a few hours a labor to do it.

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

Dang it. Now I have to pull out my shop manual. Hope you are talking about the smaller engines. I thought my 3.6 was fairly easy, but I could be wrong.

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

By the way, this question is a good example why a shop manual is helpful for many owners. Even if you are not a mechanic, you can look many items up in the shop manual to see how involved most repairs are. Over the life of the car, I believe the shop manual would pay for itself--just by identifying when someone is or is not trying to rip you off.

The CTS set also weighs about 15 lbs or so. 3 manuals that are 8.5 X 11. Also about 2.5 inches thick. They are very useful when substituted for phone books--if you are talking about the utility of such an item. (substitute for high chairs, paper weights, weights on top of car cover, etc.)

RightTurn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

We'll just post questions for you, bigbird. You can look up the answers for us.

tommy compton is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V

i asked, they said nobody is as dumb as you look

asoares is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS '03

Is it more likely that the thermostat electrical sensor is broken instead of the mechanical thermostat? (the auto parts store said there are 2 pieces to do this job: a sensor and a thermostat) The local cad dealer quoted $400 to do a thermostat replacement (another non-dealer quoted $600 do to the man-hours quoted for the procedure in their book) If it is an easy fix, I was hoping to do it in my home garage. I got a few pictures (pdf file) from this board over a month or so ago for this thermostat replacement procedure but the pics were fuzzy and not as detailed as I hoped. I removed an intake on a 1998 ford taurus 6 cyl to do a sparkplug replacement and that was easy but under my '03 CTS hood, it looks like a rats nest of wires and harnesses; I'm not looking forward to doing this job. Any comments on the question above in the first sentence?

ted5151 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

i GOT A PRICE OF $800 LABOR FOR A PART WORTH$45.00

SO YOUR PRICE SEEMS REASONABLE.

nOT SURE WHAT STATE YOU ARE IN, BUT MY ENGINE LIGHT HAS BEEN ON FOR 2 YEARS NOW, ONLY IN WINTER, LIGHT GETS RESET IN SUMMER AND STAYS OUT.

I WILL TRY A POWER COLLANT FLUSH IN SPRING, AND REFILL WITH NEW COLLANT.

Nosferatu is offline Cadillac Owners Member

flush and will does not work. just tried it. My check engine lights up in winters too. guess we are just gonna have to bend over...

54inches is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 V

I have found that if I start the vehicle 20 or so minutes before I want to go anywhere when it is cold, without the heater on, it really helps.

carl langkammerer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2 2003 CTS

My son and I replaced the thermostat in his 03 CTS TODAY.
    My wife also has an 03 CTS so I was very interested.

It took us 5 hours to get it done with the GM Service Information (online) avaiable in the our shop. The SI says to remove the plenum and intake manifold but not the lower manifold on the 3.2L engine (different for the 2.8l amd the 3.6l). The lower manifold must be removed to remove the manifold on both of our 03 CTS's. With that knowledge. it is a 2.5 to 3.0 hour task. We played with the clearances between the head the rear of the timing cover and the lower manifold. After we ate lunch we removed the lower manifold and from there it was a matter of bolts.

Our wasted time came from two sourdes: 1) the lower mainfold needs to be removed; 2) it is easy to remove the lower manifold if you remove the fuel rail and injectors so that the "manifold" comes out of the "V" in the center of the engine.

Hope this helps from someone who has just done it!

Stack&Tilt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

I just had mine done under a really short warranty I got when I bought my 03. Fortunately, I got the warranty because it was a long job. I'm sure it took them more than 3 hours. Plus my thermostat housing was cracked (?) and had to be replaced.

At least I got it fixed-- it sounds like almost everybody with an 03 has thermostat problems right now.

kfx
    kfx is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS

got the same problem right now, intermittently throwing the P0128 low coolant temp code, dealer told me the tstat needs to be replaced, quoted me $500. i'm a diy'er, but not a hardcore mech, so the idea of pulling the intake manifold kind of scares me, probably just take it in the arss and have them do it.

54inches is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 V

DO you have any pics of the installation?

kfx
    kfx is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS

I attached the pdf file that asoares mentioned above, but I agree with him that it doesn't do that great of a job of showing what needs to be done, be nice if someone had some actual pics.
    Attached Files

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.