2003 CTS thermostat - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 2003 CTS thermostat in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ing-chain.html Check out that thread, it may help....
    Doug In NC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Friend of CTS Owner

Re: 2003 CTS thermostat

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ing-chain.html

Check out that thread, it may help.

murderous is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Sport Luxury Black

Quote Originally Posted by ghettomike View Post
    Ii got mine done cash deal with a cadi mechanic who i know. i asked what he wanted for it after he was done and was expecting 2-300...he only wanted $50
    Sounds like the kind of mechanic I've been looking for, any chance of a reference? I live in the GTA and need hella work done to my old girl. Not expecting crazy prices like that but I got a lot of work to do and if he's good and reasonable, I'd like to get in contact with him. The Caddy dealership in my city is a joke, won't take my car there anymore but I'd rather an experienced caddy tech than my regular guy.

bump

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

Really doubt he's going to be doing that job for random people especially at that price lol
    Also, I've had trouble geting a hold of him lately, I still need my steering position sensor installed.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettomike View Post
    Really doubt he's going to be doing that job for random people especially at that price lol
    Also, I've had trouble geting a hold of him lately, I still need my steering position sensor installed.
    ah ok, well worth a shot.

Lade in AK is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS Base-Auto

When replacing the thermostat on the 3.2L, make sure the t-stat housing gasket is the correct size. The first one I got had a housing gasket more like an o-ring and allowed a ton of coolant to leak. The gaskets are not sold alone; you'll have to buy the entire housing again, or along with another t-stat. It was a pain but got it done. I didn't even remove the fuel lines, just turned them to the right side of the engine. the lower manifold was a little tight, but came out; you'll have to give it a little tug from one side or the other. It took me a while because I had trouble removing the t-stat housing from the coolant tube that runs behind the timing belt to the rad hose.

mickeydog is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS 2003

My mechanic replaced my Thermostat and front brake job "Pads&Rotors including brake lines which I ignored the recall like a jackass and one of the brake lines broke lol all said and done parts and labor $463 not bad I am happy no more check engine light. Word to the wise what my good friend "Mechanic Mike" told me never ignore a recall especially when it comes to your safety.

jran0823 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 1SC Luxury Sport

450 is a very reasonable price, the shop i work at usually charges 8-900 with parts and labor...alldata calls for 3.8 hours to do...i did mine and it took me 3 hours, and the guy talking about a sensor too, i really don't know what hes talking about but have yet to see one with a thermostat...just intake gaskets, thermostat, thermostat gaskets(don't forget the 2 o-rings on the split housing under the driver's side cams), and if your valve cover gaskets are leaking it'd be a good time to do them, since you're pretty much there.

azfara is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Thumbs up Re: 2003 CTS thermostat

I have replaced the Thermostat today; it is more or less 5 hour job. My dealer gave me $800 estimate just for thermostat. I asked for coolant temperature sensor too but he said it is not included.
    Anyway I have done with my friend paid him some money.
    Parts you need are following.
    Complete Gas kit for the intake system, on rockauto.com acdelco is about $65. When you are opening the intake why not change all those.
    Thermostat with hosing, I bought from GM dealer $65 since it is way buried in the engine and cannot risk cheaper brand. With gas kit.
    Get o rings for the coolant hosing there are two O rings there it is dealer item $3 each.
    Coolant temp sensor, the green one.
    Taking out the sensor is little tricky when you get it loose, first take out the side hosing for that you need to open the side one screw for that hosing.
    We also changed the gas kit for the oil cooler too which is also right there but it is optional.
    I will post pictures.
    IMG_0647_1024.jpg
    Now disconnect the fuel lines and then take out middle intake, also disconnect the injector connection.
    IMG_0652.jpg_1024.jpg
    Now first take out the side hose.
    IMG_0655_1024.jpg
    Now unscrew the thermostat and you need to wiggle it out trick like sofa when you try to get into 3rd floor and door is kind a small.
    IMG_065_10247.jpg

The temp sensor is on the back side of the engine.
    IMG_0650_1024.jpg

Now put everything back together. Good Luck

david780a is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

did mine this past summer, took 2 hours, not hard to do, looks and sounds harder than it is

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.