2003 CTS thermostat - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 2003 CTS thermostat in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I was asking Carl if he had any pics. Thanks, though!...
    54inches is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 V

Re: 2003 CTS thermostat

I was asking Carl if he had any pics.

Thanks, though!

static_k is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS 3.2L Manual

I had the same issue with my 03 cts. Mechanic quoted me $650 to do and said about 5-6 hours. Good thing for the extended warranty.
    When I picked it up he said that there was a plastic housing that holds the thermostat that ended up being cracked.

caddyshack33 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS 3.2 5-spd Manual

For those of you whose thermostat went out, at what mileage did it happen?

I have an '04 3.2L with about 19K and a little over 2 years of the CPO warranty left. I'd like to get a sense how much time I have to save up the money. I've been kicking around the idea of an extended warranty, but all of them seem to have a "you will be screwed" clause.

Mine was out at 32,000 and is still out at 38,000.

tedscts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I had my 2003 thermostate replaced at Caddy dealer, with all the bits and pieces, gaskets , new housing etc adn 4.5 hours labor it was $850.00, as a no charge bonus dealer left a cord for Block Heater sitting on exhaust shield, so you get car back with burning rubber smell, that take over a week to burn off.

Important Note: to do the job they will remove the power brake reservoir, to get it out of way as its attatched to intake manifold.. MAKE SURE THEY EMPTY OUT OLD STEERING FLUID AND CLEAN OUT RESERVOIR, AND REPLACE NEW FLUID. MY DEALER DID NOT DO IT, AND STEERING FAILED 3 TIMES WHILE DOING A U TURN.

caddy1980 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hi i have the same problem with my 2003 cts ,I removed the intake and lower manifold and got the thermostat housing loose but i couldnt take it out ,i dirint have any clearances the housing woud hit the head and the back of the timing cover .can some one please help me ,what am i doing wrong? what else do i need to removed to make the housing come out . i will take pictures of the procedure so you guys can see.

shaver is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by caddyshack33 View Post
    For those of you whose thermostat went out, at what mileage did it happen?

I have an '04 3.2L with about 19K and a little over 2 years of the CPO warranty left. I'd like to get a sense how much time I have to save up the money. I've been kicking around the idea of an extended warranty, but all of them seem to have a "you will be screwed" clause.
    03 CTS, went out about 60k and was supposed to run me $800.00 but I worked out a deal. Don't let something like this go...FIX IT. And to those with Ck Engine lights on...they're there for a reason...get it looked at and fix the problem before you cause another one by procrastinating.

Sammy Z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS 03

Quote Originally Posted by caddy1980 View Post
    Hi i have the same problem with my 2003 cts ,I removed the intake and lower manifold and got the thermostat housing loose but i couldnt take it out ,i dirint have any clearances the housing woud hit the head and the back of the timing cover .can some one please help me ,what am i doing wrong? what else do i need to removed to make the housing come out . i will take pictures of the procedure so you guys can see.
    Once you have the upper and lower portion of the intake removed, you have to take off the feed tube that is on the side of the engine. Remove the screw(s) that hold the oil tube on, then the fead tube pulls sideways. At that point, you will be able to remove the t-stat and housing. I lost a lot of antifreeze when I did mine so prepair for a mess under the car.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

The '03 has a t-stat under the intake.
    The '04 and up 3.6 engine the t-stat is on the back of the engine, "easier" to get to. (yeah right...)
    Totally different setup anyway.

Mine still out at 55,000. I guess it's time to replace.

ghettomike is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

mine went out at 120km, only tossed the check engine light on when i use the heater...i got mine done cash deal with a cadi mechanic who i know. i asked what he wanted for it after he was done and was expecting 2-300...he only wanted $50...i gave him $120 couldnt feel right giving him less than that.. took him about 3-4hrs i think. didnt look hard but he had done the t-stat on the 3.2 probably 100x
    i now someone who paid $1100 for theirs, and i was quoted $500 ish from my other mechanic... i guess it depends on the shop...the place that said 500 is usually really good with prices.

txbest1980 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"

Quote Originally Posted by ghettomike View Post
    mine went out at 120km, only tossed the check engine light on when i use the heater...i got mine done cash deal with a cadi mechanic who i know. i asked what he wanted for it after he was done and was expecting 2-300...he only wanted $50...i gave him $120 couldnt feel right giving him less than that.. took him about 3-4hrs i think. didnt look hard but he had done the t-stat on the 3.2 probably 100x
    i now someone who paid $1100 for theirs, and i was quoted $500 ish from my other mechanic... i guess it depends on the shop...the place that said 500 is usually really good with prices.
    ghettomike...i wish i was close to you and i could get those prices...i may have to buy a whole new F*C*IN engine because the person doing mine took the timing cover off and pulley, and didnt tighten the pulley back up and then when he started it, it jumped timing...

caddy1980 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hi is the thermostat housing and the metal tube feed one single part?

Sammy Z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS 03

No, two seperate parts. There are O rings that hold them together and make a seal.

grinder419 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2 Manual Trans

Mine went out at 93k. Atleast I think its broke I get the P0128 code. Bought one for $25 and it's sitting in the garage. My question is if it only lights up in the winter and you keep driving it for 2 years because the light goes out in the summer..Are you doing damage to your engine or losing performance/mpg? I noticed I'm getting around 16 mpg combined city/highway (mostly highway)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.