I got wheel hop in the 3.2L 5MT today...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, I got wheel hop in the 3.2L 5MT today... in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Well I'm pretty sure I did anyways Took the 2003 CTS (5MT) out to get washed today...after leaving the car ...
    nandanrp is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Smile I got wheel hop in the 3.2L 5MT today...

Well I'm pretty sure I did anyways Took the 2003 CTS (5MT) out to get washed today...after leaving the car wash I was waiting at a stop light.

I gave it a little extra gas off the line, clutch was COMPLETELY out, but it felt like the clutch was slipping...(worried me for a sec)...then I realized the tires were spinning, since they were still wet from the wash . They were spinning quite freely until the water...er...burned away, at which point I heard (and felt!) one of the rears thumping, trying to get traction. This is the fabled hop, is it not?

Whatever it was, traction control ended it for me. It gave me a surprising amount of time to let em roast before it kicked in though . Man, that car is way too much fun

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

briandors is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: I got wheel hop in the 3.2L 5MT today...

Was this the first time? Do you get on it hard often? Ever get hop on a dry road?

This is probably my #1 complaint with my current car and therefore something I really want to avoid if I spend $35k on a car.

brian

Imbrokenow is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I THINK this post is in jest...there are JUST a couple hints within the message that lead me to that conclusion...perhaps a little poke at the recent (and in my humble opinion wise) separation of the CTS-V from the regular CTS forum. If so, I got it! If not, then I am terribly mistaken, I guess! Anyway, I have been a lurker for the last few months (since buiying my own CTS, a used 2003 with a 5 speed manual and every concievable (sp?) option other than NAV), wading through the various posts about CTS-Vs and why their hoods shake over 130 mph, etc, and looking for those posts more related to my more humble vehicle. I got a chuckle out of nandanrp's post, and I suppose it was the impetus for my coming out of the clos...er...shadows.

briandors is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Why would it be a joke? The GTO and all CTS flavors have IRS, and all have reports from owners of wheel hop under hard acceleration. I think it may be less likely to hop in the 3.2 than in the 3.6/5.7s but that's because of less power, not because of a difference in setup.

If I can get extreme wheel hop in my 200hp SVT Contour, I'm sure a 3.2 CTS revved up can do it too.

Brian

Mbai2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS DI 6 Speed Manual Black/Black w/ FE3 Fully Loaded

This is not a joke. I get wheel hop in my 3.2 MT even on dry roads and makes the car sound like it's about to shake itself apart.

nandanrp is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by briandors
    Was this the first time? Do you get on it hard often? Ever get hop on a dry road?

This is probably my #1 complaint with my current car and therefore something I really want to avoid if I spend $35k on a car.

brian
    This was my first time, yes. I normally don't launch the car (i.e. I will rev a little and take off, but no clutch drops. I have hit redline in that car more times than I can count though, so yes I do push it)...I have had them spin before, but traction control comes on and ends the fun. This time TC stayed outta my way and she started to hop. Surprised me, really. It was dry by the time the wheels were hopping, they had definitely spun all the water off by then (they were only wet from washing, the roads weren't wet).

On a sidenote, anyone with a 3.2MT get their wheels to spin in 2nd in the dry (without shifting really hard)? I have gotten the rears to spin in 2nd only in the rain, but then again I don't slam the gears home...

Imbrokenow, this was definitely not a joke. Spinning the rears is no big deal but I had never gotten the hop before (nor had I read about it happening in V6 CTS'). Oh, and at least speaking for the 2003 CTS, the hood does NOT shake at 130+ mph. I've had the car to fuel cutoff and she was as composed at 144 as 100 mph...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.