Guys on the bimmer board are having a fit over the latest R&T ratings..CTS took 1st
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Guys on the bimmer board are having a fit over the latest R&T ratings..CTS took 1st in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums...5063802-1.html http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e60/5064457-1.html...
    nupeskee is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Guys on the bimmer board are having a fit over the latest R&T ratings..CTS took 1st

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ttown is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Guys on the bimmer board are having a fit over the latest R&T ratings..CTS took 1st

GO CADDIE, GO CADDIE...

Can you say, "sore LOSERS!!"

My wife test drove a beemer before buying her V. She said it was a very big disappointment.

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Re: Guys on the bimmer board are having a fit over the latest R&T ratings..CTS took 1st

Heh. Times change...
    If this site has helped you save money, please consider helping it continue to do so. Click here for information!

Chuck C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

doesn't this belong in the CTS forum (not CTS-V)? kudos, Cadillac!

Z06CTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck C
    doesn't this belong in the CTS forum (not CTS-V)? kudos, Cadillac!
    I guess I'll visit both CTS sections..

Joe

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

It's good to see them SWEAT for a change! Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

Notice how they are insulting the appearance of the CTS V, because they can't fault the performance, LOL.

JEM
    JEM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    It's good to see them SWEAT for a change! Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

Notice how they are insulting the appearance of the CTS V, because they can't fault the performance, LOL.
    As a happy multiple-BMW owner who would nonetheless like the opportunity to buy American at some point:
    • Competition is a good thing.
    • It's interesting to see that, in their comparison, a car that always narrowly beat the old E39 BMW (the current Benz E-class) and a car that always narrowly lost to the old E39 (the Jag S-type) now beat the E60 handily. The E39 was a competition-crusher, the E60 is just another pimply face in a well-dressed crowd.
    • The biggest aesthetic deficiency with the E60 BMW, IMO, isn't all the Toyota-wannabe clutter on the exterior, it's the awful interior/dash design. The 6-series has the dash the 5 should have gotten, but still looks like a RWD Camry Solara.
    • The CTS still does not appeal to me at all - the shape still puts me off. As much as I find the E39 BMW shape preferable to the E60, I still prefer the E60 (warts and all) to the slab-sided and awkward CTS shape.
    • The CTS-V is a completely different story, the cleaner trim and big tires fix a lot of what's wrong aesthetically with the base CTS, mechanically it's a near-perfect agglomeration of bits, and on a content-per-dollar basis there's nothing that can touch it.
    • I don't consider the CTS a bargain at $43K. But $54K for a 530i is beyond absurd. That's a CTS-V, a few track weekends, and maybe the second set of tires and brake pads you'll need after those track weekends. Most of the other Euro iron in that comparison are closer to CTS-V money than CTS as well.

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by JEM
    As a happy multiple-BMW owner who would nonetheless like the opportunity to buy American at some point:
    • Competition is a good thing.
    • It's interesting to see that, in their comparison, a car that always narrowly beat the old E39 BMW (the current Benz E-class) and a car that always narrowly lost to the old E39 (the Jag S-type) now beat the E60 handily. The E39 was a competition-crusher, the E60 is just another pimply face in a well-dressed crowd.
    • The biggest aesthetic deficiency with the E60 BMW, IMO, isn't all the Toyota-wannabe clutter on the exterior, it's the awful interior/dash design. The 6-series has the dash the 5 should have gotten, but still looks like a RWD Camry Solara.
    • The CTS still does not appeal to me at all - the shape still puts me off. As much as I find the E39 BMW shape preferable to the E60, I still prefer the E60 (warts and all) to the slab-sided and awkward CTS shape.
    • The CTS-V is a completely different story, the cleaner trim and big tires fix a lot of what's wrong aesthetically with the base CTS, mechanically it's a near-perfect agglomeration of bits, and on a content-per-dollar basis there's nothing that can touch it.
    • I don't consider the CTS a bargain at $43K. But $54K for a 530i is beyond absurd. That's a CTS-V, a few track weekends, and the second set of tires and brake pads you'll need after those track weekends. Most of the other Euro iron in that comparison are closer to CTS-V money than CTS as well.
    I think it's great that you don't seem biased toward any auto producer, and can freely admit the shortcomings in a company you obviously love. That's hard to do. Even for Cadillac owners!

When it comes to "E" anything, I think that the new Mercedes E Class is one of the most beautiful styled cars I have ever seen! It's just the right size, and like everything about it, despite the problems they are supposedly having with electronics currently.

I take it you are a member of the BMW Forum? Don't you find from what you read there that they seem to be grasping at straws a little? They seem to want a better product specifically because of the CTS-V, it seems.

I tend to agree about the CTS's styling, however, it's STILL growing on me. With myself, for example, the new 300c had an instant attraction, the CTS, not entirely so. I think people would buy the CTS-V no matter what it looked like because it does offer great performance for the price IMO. Just like an ugly woman, you could learn to love her. (base CTS included)

Shantanu is offline Cadillac Owners Member

This comparo was unique in that the CTS was compared to much more expensive mid-size luxury sedans (it usually gets compared to the compacts).

The CTS is finally getting the respect that it deserves in the popular press. When it was getting compared to lesser cars only a year or two ago, the auto journalists just "weren't sure" about the styling. And the handling was "too stiff". The steering wheel was itself "the size of an axe handle". "No light in the glove box compartment = nobody will buy this car." What a bunch of nonsense. It was obvious that they strove to find little things to nitpick about, and combined them to write overall nasty articles.

You know what changed? Nothing succeeds like success. The CTS sells well, consumers love the car, and it's changed the perception of the Cadillac brand as a whole. The CTS-V further adds to the cachet of the CTS as a sports sedan.

I will admit that the 3.6L engine is obviously better than the 3.2L (which helps), but keep in mind that GM has also jacked up the price of the CTS quite a bit since it first came out. So overall, it's kind of even. The CTS being sold today is not much different than the car that debuted in 2002. What's changed is that the auto journalists know that they can't write ludicrous crap about it, because that will serve only to have them be laughed at.

The greatest humiliation for the auto journalists must be that despite all the negativity they threw at the CTS, that did nothing to hurt sales of the car. The CTS did not need them to sell well. They could not bring it down. The CTS showed them whose boss. Yes, history is written by the victor.

Wilbee50 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Guys on the bimmer board are having a fit over the latest R&T ratings..CTS took 1

Almost ready to get the CTS when we stopped at the BMW dealer across the street. We were currently driving an 01 330xi Bimmer and our salesman wouldn't budge one cent on the lease. We told him we had almost decided on a Cadillac and he implied that it should most certainly be cheaper because it was, well, just a Cadillac. Wife and I adore our blue chip 04 CTS. Still have the Bimmer til July and I'm driving it to work. I like the CTS better.

Vesicant is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None :(

I dont know about you guys, but I like what BMW has done to everything. Except the X3 ...

The 5, 6 and 7 series look great to me. 3 series looks ok, but needs a full upgrade.

Why they are falling behind in rank:

Their prices have increased, with them jam-packing so much technology into the cars. The iDrive... it came out wayyyyy too early, and they approached it the wrong way (design & programming wise). The problem is having to control it all with a knob. Most like touch screens or just seperate controls to begin with. If there was one thing they should change, it should be a touch screen instead of handled by a knob. People would accept it then. Much easer to reach over at the same level (steering wheel to screen) to change something than it is to reach down and make sure you grab the silver knob...then once you do this, you must articulate it to get to certain options. "Too complex for something trying to be simple". And apparently, people just dont like their abstract styling of the cars.

Atleast they didnt go the GM approach to redesigning their cars/trucks, and add on "50 pounds" of dark-grey and or painted plastic to all of the model lines! (excluding Cadillac)

Cadillac made a goal designing their cars, to make them as you know part of an Art and Science theme. They made them look edgy and have great body lines. Interiors that are unique but stunning and the mechanicals are top-notch but simple enough.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Re: Guys on the bimmer board are having a fit over the latest R&T ratings..CTS took 1

My personal opinion echoes the one above from JEM. I would never even consider a V6 CTS of any kind over my 330i, not having anything to do with performance, the cars are just worlds apart in multiple aesthetic terms and in other areas (size is a problem with the 3 series tho). People will like the cars for different reasons. However, there are only a FEW cars that I would NOT take the CTS-V over, and I can tell you right now, all of the BMW 5 series right now would lose to the CTS-V in my book, I much prefer the V here. The Mercedes benz E-Class is very very highly priced, but in comparison with BMW, they also really kick ass too.

Its good to see the CTS is starting to get some well deserved recognition, no matter which CTS it is.

EmersonP123 Guest

I really like the CTS's styling and performance over the 3 series. One of the other reasons I like the CTS is that everyone and their mom's nowadays has a 3 series. They're a lot more common that the CTS. Although, I am seeing more CTSs pop up lately.

Devil_concours is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by EmersonP123
    I really like the CTS's styling and performance over the 3 series. One of the other reasons I like the CTS is that everyone and their mom's nowadays has a 3 series. They're a lot more common that the CTS. Although, I am seeing more CTSs pop up lately.
    nice is300. How does that compare to cts?

Cal
    Cal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Awhile back I wanted an IS300 (we're talking 2-3 years) and when I drove it I thought it felt a bit weak, the shifting was slow as well. But it's a nice little car, don't get me wrong. I was just looking for more power. And now I have a V, go figure.

I think the IS300 doesn't get enough respect as a competitor for the CTS and the 323/330, I like the look of the car and the interior is slick, I just didn't feel it had the oomph to justify the price, at the time.

- C.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.