Anybody able to watch DVD's and drive yet?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Anybody able to watch DVD's and drive yet? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I was wondering if anyone has yet to figure out how to unlock our navi. I was driving around the ...
    haveboost is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Anybody able to watch DVD's and drive yet?

I was wondering if anyone has yet to figure out how to unlock our navi. I was driving around the other day on my friends M5 and he installed this "navitv" where he can watch the news on his navi. It was done by installing a tv tuner to his navi. I wonder if we can do the same. Our navigation system is much more advance, yet we have all these limitations. I also tried doing the one click on the emergency brake to see if that would work, but when you get a little speed the screen goes black.

I asked my local stereo shop and he mentioned putting a switch to trick the computer the car was on parking brake. But with my aforemetioned test I don't think that would work.

If anybody has any better suggestions.

P.S. While driving my friends M5 with only 28000 miles, I am more impressed with the V. Even he was. He's also an enthusiast and had read all the specs and articles on the V, but he did not look so convinced. Until I threw him the keys for a test drive. To make a long story short. He's very convinced now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

drewhat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS with navigation

Re: Anybody able to watch DVD's and drive yet?

Yes, I certainly wish we CTSers could figure this one out.The SRX owners already know the code that permits playing DVDs while driving. I know that our navi has different manufacturer, but hasn't anyone been able to solve this one yet.

drewhat

Uber-V is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Looks like we started a similar thread at the same time. I am more interested in being able to add locations in the nav while driving. I'm sure the cure will be similar for the nav and dvd. Like the SRX guys we need to get into the diagnostic screen. I think we need some inside help on this.

WhiteLightning is offline Cadillac Owners Member

All-

I used to own an Infiniti FX45. This has an almost identical Zerin (spelling) Xaira nav system. We found the over-ride wasn't that hard. There is an imput for the speed sensor that we put a switch on. Flip the switch, the nav thinks you're stopped. Easy. However on that car you then screwed up your location because the nav didn't think you were moving. It took a minute or two (sometimes more) for the nav to "re-find" your location.

Things to look for on this car (as I still don't have a service manual). Look for the speed sensor. Look to see if the nav is feed differently then the rest of the all-in-one unit. If its only one feed to the display, all the fuel calculations, trip computer etc, may break. I don't know how those systems would be affected.

For video? You'd kill speed and click the parking brake.

WL

Innocent Bystander is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

That sounds like the most promising theory to date. There IS a vehicle speed signal at the back of the radio...

njackson44 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Talking Re: Anybody able to watch DVD's and drive yet?

If you cut the speed sensor wire it will still not work. I tried it and then the navigation did not move at all it showed what direction you were going but did not move. I did not ground it out though! I'm working on the problem right now. I'm getting my hands on a tech II to hopefully solve the problem. If that works I will explain further. Also going to order the updated dvd for my car in the next couple of days. I also have a dvd burner i will see if that works!

ADulay is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hey, we've been having this discussion in the Entertainment Systems area for several months.

No real solution yet but there are MANY of us who are still looking for the fix.

I went into the shift console to see if grounding or disconnecting the "purple" wire (as was the theory at the time) but that didn't seem to do it.

Looking forward to SOMEBODY coming up with the fix for this one.

AD

WhiteLightning is offline Cadillac Owners Member

njackson44-

Yes, that is the behavior in the Infiniti as well. HOWEVER during that time that the nav is "stuck", you have full access to the address list, etc with no "safety". You reconnect the speed sensor and your vehicle starts to move on the nav again. You are now in the WRONG place. The nav normally "relocates" pretty quick. Longest I remember waiting was 3 minutes.

I would guess (haven't tried) this would work for the Caddy as well. Yes, you "break" the nav temporarily, but the safety is lifted. If this works (as I think it should), you could combine it with the parking break (try one click and a lap around the block) to allow DVDs to play. Also note, I think this will cut your DRLs. (remember, I'm guessing, none of this have I tested -yet)

Hope this helps,

WL

I have tried playing a dvd while i had the speed sensor cut and no luck. Yes i did have the parking brake one clicked and after like 5mph it shut off to just audio. When i did this i took a 15 minute trip and it did not relocate me until i shut the car off. But when i restarted the nav i was in the right place. But on the way home it did not move from where i restarted the car!

haveboost is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Thanks for the speed sensor theory. Makes sense. I would be happy to put on a switch and be able to play movies while driving. But I would also like to be able to install a tv tuner. The M5 guys did it. WE CAN ALSO DO IT!!

Trilio is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Angry Re: Anybody able to watch DVD's and drive yet?

My question is : why in God's name would you even consider doing it? In my opinion the "DIC" is already too disconcerting for my liking. I guess I grew up before everyone could multi task like they do now. The Europeans must be very amused as it wasn't til Americans demanded them that they started putting cup holders in cars as their perception was that if you are driving - really driving, you were too occupied to do anything other than drive. I'm so old, I even remember when the person riding shot gun had co-pilot duties to help the driver achieve the most efficient travel possible. Could someone please buy a portable DVD player and let the passengers watch them if it is that important........... Just one man's opinion. KILER V.

CTScop is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Be careful doing the DVD screen visible to the driver in Michigan. It is a violation for a television screen to even be visible to the driver, let alone actually using it. Just FYI, but other states prob ahve similar laws....

I don't have time to do this but me and a friend sat down and looked at the radio schmetics. If the radio doesn't get a signal from the speed sensor it takes the speed reading from the gps signal. So my propasl is to put a switch on the speed sensor and unplug the gps andtenna or if they have a quick disconnect would be even better! If this works please reply. Working a lot right now!

greyghost04 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '14 CTS 2.0 Luxury AWD, '14 SRX 3.6 AWD

I'd be more interested in figuring out how to get rid of the 'I Accept' I'm forced to push everytime I turn on Navi. I know there are a lawyers somewhere who have forced this on us.

andymfreemont is offline Cadillac Owners Member

A vehicle lan message sent to the nav which tells the system what gear the transmission is in would be pretty tough to fake. If park, play movies, else, don't play movies.

That would be my method of locking out DVD video while driving if I were an ******* automaker.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.