installing the free-air kicker sub
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, installing the free-air kicker sub in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I got all the wiring hooked up and all that sort of thing, but the thing I am having a ...
    Custom88 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS

installing the free-air kicker sub

I got all the wiring hooked up and all that sort of thing, but the thing I am having a LOT of trouble with is the mounting of the kicker sub in the factory location. None of the bolt holes line up and I can't figure out how to secure the sub. How did you guys who have done this mod do it? I seriously can't figure out a way to secure this thing. I'm horrible at fabrication. Wiring; easy. Fabrication; damn near impossible for me. So.. how did the rest of you do it? I'm stumped! Thanks a LOT of any help anyone can give me!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

talonstylz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): cts?

Re: installing the free-air kicker sub

What sub is this? and how good are the gains? is it a major change? and does the factory amp power it properly?

rblimas is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS, Black Raven. Name: Car-los

you might have to send it to a fabricator if you're not good at it. i seen someone use a piece of plywood to secure it in there.

I am using an aftermarket subwoofer. I can see how it would be pretty simple to install a peice of MDF, or plywood to the bottom of the deck, but not the top. Are others installing the MDF inside the trunk, and not on top of the deck?

rblimas is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS, Black Raven. Name: Car-los

here is all i have for you:
    '

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...tom-audio.html

he did it himself.

FlyFlip420 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Not ply wood....you need MDF...otherwise you will rattle the hell out of the ply.....Do like the pic, cut some MDF, mount the MDF with the existing holes, then mount your sub into the MDF...make sure to use something to seal those too....What are you using to power it all??

http://www.usacoustics.com/2004/usb2080%20specs.htm

That is the amp I am running. I currently have it in a bridged setup. I'll have to go to Lowe's and get some MDF and have them cut it for me. ( I don't have any power tools since I live in an apartment.) I'll pick up a jig saw to cut the hole for the subwoofer.

FlyFlip420 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Either a jigsaw or a router will work....even a dremel would work.....

After looking at the factory hole a little bit, I don't think that this sub can be installed without cutting some sheet metal because it's not possible to bend the sheet metal enough upward to get a good seal for the MDF against the back deck. I really wish I could see how this person removed, or bent the sheet metal in order to get this setup to work. It doesn't look possible to me without cutting like I said. also, I wonder if his CTS was an older model? Mine has a metal bracket that goes just about to the edge of the hole for the subwoofer. I imagine that this bracket is going to get in the way of the basket. One final thing, how are the stock bolts being used? They're 'welded' to the rear deck. are they being drilled out, and the holes then being used with new bolts? I'm just really frustrated right now and almost wish I hadn't bothered to change from the stock setup, even though it sounds horrible. This is what I'm dealing with below.

I think I'm going to put some weather stripping along the very edges of the MDF that I install incase the metal 'basket' around the factory subwoofer opening interferes with the seal between the metal and MDF. Hopefully that will be sufficient to get a good seal. I won't be able to complete this until my day off of work tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have some good news by tomorrow night.

ssmith100 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

You'll need to cut the factory piece of plastic back there and replace with a 1/2" piece of MDF. It's very simple. When I installed my Kicker I didn't have to bend any of the metal. I've got more pics if needed.

Shane

schambo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS 3.6L Sport Appearance pkg

I installed a Kicker CVR and it took a few hours to do. The hole needed to be widened. I used a Roto Zip and it was very easy. The holes will not line up. I drilled new holes and used plastic S brackets to clamp down the sub. My local audio store had them. It sounds great but there is some rattle from the seat belt bolsters. The rear deck has many components that need to be secured. I probably spent more time on that than the install.

Here's a bad pict. I am going to dynamat the heck out of the lid when I find time.
    Attached Images

ssmith100 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

If it were me....and it was a couple of years ago......I would cut the plastic and replace with MDF. No need to seal with weather stripping. Hopefully these pics help.

Shane

schambo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS 3.6L Sport Appearance pkg

Quote Originally Posted by ssmith100 View Post
    If it were me....and it was a couple of years ago......I would cut the plastic and replace with MDF. No need to seal with weather stripping. Hopefully these pics help.

Shane
    Did you remove your seat belt bolsters? I don't see them in the picts. I would but I need the belts for my kids. Any suggestions on how to stop them from rattling?

You did a nice job with the dynamat. How much did you need to cover the deck?

Drparj is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 Cadillac Seville SLS

looking at doing all this to my 99 seville right now. I really want to try to build a box that is supported by the rear deck. Thus not needing a free air sub. Louder and more efficient. I have also been pondering making a ported box and using the truck pass thru to the car as a exit for the port for a custom look.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.