Pk3 Vs Pk3+
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dkozloski
  • 1 Post By eagle-co94
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Pk3 Vs Pk3+ in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I had a Blank Chevy key hanging around that was a PK3 that I wanted to get cut to work ...
    Custom88 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS

Question Pk3 Vs Pk3+

I had a Blank Chevy key hanging around that was a PK3 that I wanted to get cut to work with my CTS's door incase I locked myself out or something. I went to the dealership and had a genuine Cadillac PK3+ key cut, along with this Chevy PK3 key. The wierd thing, was that I was able to program the Chevy key to START my CTS. You're not supposed to be able and do that are you? What's the difference between the PK3 and PK3+ then?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

vireXtyle is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 3.6DI radiant CTS fully loaded

Re: Pk3 Vs Pk3+

Maybe the PK3+ has a "+" and the PK3 don't???
    I don't know

Custom88 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS

Heh. me either. I only ask because I've always been told that PK3 keys won't work on PK3+ cars.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

PK3 keys can be cloned on a machine as well as onboard programmed. PK3+ keys must be onboard programmed and cannot be cloned. Now you know.
    scooter05 likes this.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

vireXtyle is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 3.6DI radiant CTS fully loaded

Ohhh.....

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

Quote Originally Posted by vireXtyle View Post
    Ohhh.....
    Love that response. (I fully agree with you.) I hate to say this, but Koz, can you enlighten us with more detail????

This guy is just a walking encylopedia.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

PK3/PK3+ keys incorporate an RFID(like anti-shopliting devices) chip in the plastic head. This chip is interrogated by the car when you go to start it. The key has to make the proper response for the car to be happy and remain running. PK3 key chips can be cloned in a key shop with a device. PK3+ keys must be onboard programmed. If the owner has a working key, more keys can be programmed. If all the keys are lost it's a job for a dealer with a TECHII. The difference is in the functioning of the chip.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

SKORPiO is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05' SRX V6 2WD

...so in another words, both are interchangeable? If my master key is PK3+, I can purchase PK3 and successfully program it to my 05 SRX?

thanks, Bart.

550Geoff is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS

The PK3+ transponder key uses a ID:48 transponder chip while the PK3 key uses a (GM) ID:13 transponder chip. Both are glass chips however from my understanding they are NOT interchangeable. A vehicle that uses a 48 chip will not accept an ID:13 chip (and vice versa). I would be pretty confident in saying that if you use a PK3 key you can NOT use the PK3+ key and if you use a PK3+ key a PK3 key will NOT work. Both keys have the same key blade profile however (as above) use very different transponder chips.

eagle-co94 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '81 DMC-12, '85 Austin Mini, '96 Impala SS...

Just to dig up this old post again, but I bought a PK3 by mistake instead of a PK3+ and tried several times to get it work with no luck. Today I tried the "put the key on the steering column" method and out of 4-5 tries, on one attempt it did start the car and allow me to drive it. When I shut the car off and attempted to restart it wouldn't though. Now looking for a PK3+ for a fully functional spare.

scooter05 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 cts

interesting cause i have a pk3+ key i am going to get cut. (home depot cuts em for free). key on ebay 22-32 dollars.

eagle-co94 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '81 DMC-12, '85 Austin Mini, '96 Impala SS...

Yep, HD cut my PK3 key for me. Since I've got 2 keys for my '05 CTS-V parts car I just disassembled the more worn key and removed the resistor. The aftermarket key head can be separated into two pieces so I just popped out the PK3 resistor and inserted my PK3+ one and now I've got my spare working so I'm quite pleased.
    scooter05 likes this.

zzinglish is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS

Hi all, and thanks for your helps, but I'm still not sure whether to have the online ordered blank stamped pk3 cut & make it nonreturnable to find out if I can program it or send it back and get a pk3+ for my 2004 CTS before I start. Maybe this is a dumb ? but can a key be onboard cloned by laying on the steering column - which I've read of online somewhere - without being in ignition? This key was ebay advertised as "new cadillac replacement uncut transponder chip car ignition key" but without a pk # but with a programming lifetime warranty. Of course to follow the program steps supplied - insert new blank within 15 seconds of turning old key off & wait for security light to come on for 2 seconds = success - requires cutting the blank, but will I wind up with less than fully functional key? Or, as Geoff says, it won't work at all?
    And: Home Depot cuts keys free??

Thanks in advance all

956Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac Cts Black Raven
    Yeah I have bypassed it before with the working key and a spare that isn't programmed and my car started. I also done this to my Chevy venture and its like that since 2011

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.