Confused about gear ratios (long)!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Confused about gear ratios (long)! in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I am confused about the gear ratios in my new '04 Manual Trans CTS. The stats on the GM site ...
    BlueMalibu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6 Sport, 6-Speed

Confused about gear ratios (long)!

I am confused about the gear ratios in my new '04 Manual Trans CTS. The stats on the GM site show the following information for the Manual trans Non-V Car.

Final Drive 3.21:1
    1st Gear 3.57:1
    2nd Gear 2.04:1
    3rd Gear 1.34:1
    4th Gear 1.0:1
    5th Gear .82:1

This seemed pretty tall to me. Calculating the speed in each gear at redline (6600 RPM) you get the following:

1st Gear 44.5
    2nd Gear 77.9
    3rd Gear 118.6 Yikes!
    4th Gear 158.9
    5th Gear 193.8

This is based on a wheel/tire cirumference of 81.64 inches which I measured.

This is not the way the car drives. I have a simulation program that predicts acceleration, etc. given a car's stats and it came up with the numbers above. However, I had trouble believing them so I did the math myself in a spreadsheet. I came up with the same numbers.

This is the formula I used:

Rear tire circumference (in miles - .00128851) * 6600 RPM * 60 minutes in an hour / Rear Gear ratio / Trans Gear Ratio = Max Speed in gear.
    So I drove the car and wrote down the speed as indicated by the speedo when the tach was at 3300 RPM in each gear. I doubled this number to get what the speed would be at 6600 RPM. My car is still in the break in period so no 6600 rpm runs.

Here is what I saw:

1st Gear 37 @6600 RPM in 1st
    2nd Gear 66
    3rd Gear 100
    4th Gear 132
    5th Gear - Didn't do 5th.
    So what I see driving and the stats have a big discrepency!

To actually get the speeds I observed, keeping the same trans ratios, the rear gear would need to be about 3.8:1!

Does anyone know if there are new ratios for '04?

Maybe my math (and the CarTest simulation program) are wrong?

Maybe I am missing something?
    BTW, according to the simulation, using a 3.8 rear gear instead of 3.21 takes 2 tenths off the 1/4 mile time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Mbai2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS DI 6 Speed Manual Black/Black w/ FE3 Fully Loaded

Re: Confused about gear ratios (long)!

There is definately something wrong with the calculated numbers. My first gear tops out around 40mph, 2nd~65, 3rd~95, 4th-speed limiter.

Searching the net I found that the 5MT has a final drive ratio of 3.73. I'm not sure how correct this is but it brings the numbers a little bit closer to the real thing.

JEM
    JEM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMalibu
    This is based on a wheel/tire cirumference of 81.64 inches which I measured.
    The manufacturer data for a couple different 225/50-17s per the Tire Rack website shows 804 revs/mile, which back-calculates to something like a 78in circumference.

Taking third gear as an example, at 60MPH revs/mi=RPM, so:

804*1.34*3.21=3460RPM

(6600/3460)*60 = 114mph

That's one tall third gear.

You're also assuming your dash tach and speedometer are accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by JEM
    The manufacturer data for a couple different 225/50-17s per the Tire Rack website shows 804 revs/mile, which back-calculates to something like a 78in circumference.

Taking third gear as an example, at 60MPH revs/mi=RPM, so:

804*1.34*3.21=3460RPM

(6600/3460)*60 = 114mph

That's one tall third gear.

You're also assuming your dash tach and speedometer are accurate.
    Yea, that is why I actually measured the circumference myself - I wanted an accurate number. The speedo / tach could be off as you say.

However, I just dug around a little and although Edmunds, Carpoint and others are showing the GM number of rthe rear gear ratio of 3.21 I did find some sites that list it as 3.73 for older models. I wonder if GM messed up the press data on the newer models. The GM data shows a reverse gear ratio of .82 and we KNOW that is WRONG.

Hmm, I guess I will have to jack up the rear and check the rear gear ratio that way.

miscreant is offline GM Connection

According to the actual build sheet on our 5 speed here on our lot, those listed ratios are correct.

But I believe (IIRC) that you have to take 96%-97% of the tires circumfrence when off the vheicle (or off the ground) to account for loss of circumfrence from depression - ie. the tire does not stay round (flattens outward).
    2004 Cadillac CTS (**SOLD** ): http://www.ctsowners.com
    2004 Pontiac GTO: http://www.myyellowgto.com

Quote Originally Posted by miscreant
    According to the actual build sheet on our 5 speed here on our lot, those listed ratios are correct.

But I believe (IIRC) that you have to take 96%-97% of the tires circumfrence when off the vheicle (or off the ground) to account for loss of circumfrence from depression - ie. the tire does not stay round (flattens outward).
    Does the built sheet list the final drive ratio? Or just the transmission ratios? If I lowered the circumference by your factor (which makes sense!) it only leads 1.5 mph difference in 1st gear and a 3.5 difference in fourth which isn't enough to explain the vast difference. I will jack up the car, hopefully 2nite, and twist the driveshaft by hand to estimate the ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMalibu
    Does the built sheet list the final drive ratio? Or just the transmission ratios? If I lowered the circumference by your factor (which makes sense!) it only leads 1.5 mph difference in 1st gear and a 3.5 difference in fourth which isn't enough to explain the vast difference. I will jack up the car, hopefully 2nite, and twist the driveshaft by hand to estimate the ratio.
    The build sheet says 3.21.

JEM
    JEM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by miscreant
    The manufacturer's revs/mile number addresses that.

Quote Originally Posted by JEM
    The manufacturer's revs/mile number addresses that.
    Yep. That's why a 26" D tire revs/mile at about 804. I think he was actually physically measuring the tire.

OK, no longer confused.

I jacked the car up and twisted the drive shaft by hand. Took 3 and 3/4 turn of the driveshaft to get the rear wheels to spin around once. The car has a 3.73 gear or something very similar.

I suspect all the 3.2 manual trans cars have this gear as the published ratio of 3.21:1 would not drive well, given the trans ratios. Amazing to me that all info on Edmunds, etc. is wrong. GM should correct the info because a 3.73 gear seems more favorable. I highly doubt that will happen though. And with the '05 6-speed coming out it will probably be a mute issue. Unless they get that wrong too.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.