Picked up my "lowly" 2004 CTS 3.2 MT.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Picked up my "lowly" 2004 CTS 3.2 MT. in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Warning, This may not be exciting to all you new CTS-V owners. Last Thursday my new CTS was delivered: 2004 ...
    BlueMalibu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6 Sport, 6-Speed

Picked up my "lowly" 2004 CTS 3.2 MT.

Warning, This may not be exciting to all you new CTS-V owners.

Last Thursday my new CTS was delivered:

2004 1SA
    Blue Chip
    Two-Tone Interior
    Sports Package
    Bose
    XM
    Load Leveling Delete.

I would also like to thank MISCREANT for helping track the vehicle. I had to order the vehicle because of the option combo. The good part is because of this combo the price was less than 30K.

My last two cars before this one were a 2001 Lincoln LS (Sport V8) and a 2000 BMW 323i.

I have performed one mod. I disabled the Daytime Running Lights. Took a bit of research to find out how but the actual mod only takes a couple of minutes and there are no side effects. I will post how to do it in the near future if anyone is interested.

Yes, I only get the 3.2L engine with the manual trans. I debated this a lot but decided I had to have the manual trans. Cars just aren't sporty to me without it. My lease was up on the Lincoln so I could not wait for the 2005 3.6L/Manual combo. If I could have waited, I would have.

Anyway, so far I am impressed with the car. It is more more Sporty feeling than the Lincoln was.

Engine: I am obeying the break in rules so can't really tell but the 3.2 seems to be high rpm biased. It does not have much low end torque. However, this is GOOD news to me as long as the power is there up high in the RPMS. The engine shakes a little at idle but smooths right out at RPMs. There is no variable cam timing on the 3.2 so this might explain this. Nothing compares in smoothness throughout the RPMs to a BMW in-line 6.

Trans: It is a 5-speed gertrag. Seems to be the same trans as I had in the BMW! Of course the ratios are different. While BMW used a taller rear gear and a 1:1 fifth gear the CTS uses a shorter final drive and an overdrive 5th. Overall the ratios at the rear wheels are about the same. The 1:1 gear is a little (1%?) more efficient because the main shaft in the trans is locked and thus no power is transferred through the counter shaft. I always thought is was smart of BMW to use a 1:1 fifth to maximize highway efficiency. However, I find myself using 4th most of the time in city driving so that is good for the CTS.

Handling: So far feels very good. The turning radius is excellent. Ride is firm but not jarring. Much better "feel" than the Lincoln. The Lincoln LS was very capable in handling and braking but the feel was so terrible you never knew it. I will test handling at the limits once break in is complete. At higher speeds the steering feel is good and the car is stable. I took a 10 mile drive at 90 MPH and that felt good. No car has felt better at speed to me than my 323i did. Once break in is over I'll see how the CTS feels at 100+ cruising. The Lincoln felt strained and "heavy" over 100.

Braking: Did a brake test and it stopped with authority. No complaints. However, I am smelling what smells like burnt brake lining after normal driving when I come to a stop. I hope this is just a break in thing.

Bose Radio: Good sound. Good bass. On par with the HK system in the BMW.

XM Radio: Fantastic selection. Sound quality could be better. I can see myself using CDs when I want really good sound and the XM when I want variety. Probably won't use much AM/FM anymore.

Small Stuff: Love the little information display and the ability to program the 4 steering wheel buttons. Button #1 is now TCS OFF! I was surprised to see an aluminum rear differential - the BMW was iron. The one touch up and down front windows are nice - BMW had this also. The Lincoln did not. The seats and interior are nice and the switches have a BMW feel to them.

Track: I drive a SCCA GT1 road race car (ametuer only) that has about 700 HP and occasionly I take my street cars on the track. You could run the BMW until you ran out of fuel on the track without hurting it. No brake fade, nothing. Kinda pricy for brake pads and tires though. When I get a chance we'll see how the CTS does.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Korn00 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Picked up my "lowly" 2004 CTS 3.2 MT.

Hey...Congrats on the new car! Post some pics so we can check it out!!

greyghost04 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '14 CTS 2.0 Luxury AWD, '12 SRX 3.6 AWD

You can't buy a 'lowly' CTS because they don't make one.

BUILDINGCTSAMG is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Congrats on the cts, that smell was prolly from you slamming on the brakes, you need to brake them in slowly over the first 500 miles.

Z06CTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Congrats.... My CTS should be coming in soon. Hope you the best.

Joe
    New Orleans

birdman is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMalibu
    I have performed one mod. I disabled the Daytime Running Lights. Took a bit of research to find out how but the actual mod only takes a couple of minutes and there are no side effects. I will post how to do it in the near future if anyone is interested.
    I know lots of people would probably want to hear, please post this info.
    TIA

evo
    evo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS, 2012 CTS Coupe

hey thats great! congrats on the new car... and enjoy

and yes... there is no "lowly" cts

Olds3.5 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Great descriptive evaluation! Buy american cars!

shaggygrosser is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I've never been disappointed with the 3.2 w/ Manual Tx. I've had mine for about a year and love it. Congrats.

gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

Be sure to let us know what you think after break-in, Blue.

Also, a CTS vs. competitors comparo:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=10511

catbert is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

If you like it now, you will love it when it's broken in. BTW - that took 5,000 plus miles and Penzzoil full sythetic for mine.

billsCTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member

You should drive the CTS with 3.6 VVT before stating that nothing compares to the smoothness of the BMW inline 6. The 3.6 is one sweet engine!

frank78 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Talking Re: Picked up my "lowly" 2004 CTS 3.2 MT.

3.6 engine is great

BlueMalibu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6 Sport, 6-Speed

Quote Originally Posted by billsCTS
    You should drive the CTS with 3.6 VVT before stating that nothing compares to the smoothness of the BMW inline 6. The 3.6 is one sweet engine!
    I have driven the 3.6 on a 250 mile trip. It is much smoother and makes a less raspy sound then then my 3.2L. But it is not as smooth as the in-line 6. Probably the smoothest V6 I have ever driven though.

I am already jealous of those who will get the 3.6 / 6 Speed combo - those will be sweet.

briandors is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by catbert
    If you like it now, you will love it when it's broken in. BTW - that took 5,000 plus miles and Penzzoil full sythetic for mine.
    You sure your engine is broken in at 5,000 miles when you're using synthetic??

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.